Author Topic: Huge rise in Kennel Club premium - Update, sharp practice, pls read  (Read 9863 times)

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
Just got my renewal reminder for Dylan, aged three. They have put the premium up from £284.04 to £381.29, nearly £100, 40%!!!!!!!!!!!

Dylan has had one claim, for an X-ray as a pup when he hurt his foot, otherwise all clear. They claim it's due to an increase in People,taking out insurance, more claims for expensive treatments and higher vets fees. But 40%!!!!!!!!!

So I suppose more mind numbing time trawling the Internet looking at alternatives (having just done the same with house and van insurance  >:D)

This is beyond a joke  >:D >:D >:D >:D

Lesley and Dylan
Remembering All the dogs of my life, especially Milo

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Huge risein Kennel Club premium
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 06:12:10 PM »
......more peope taking out insurance =  more income  :huh: I never really understand their logic!!

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 07:31:06 PM »
......more peope taking out insurance =  more income  :huh: I never really understand their logic!!

My thoughts exactly! I foresee an irate phone call on Monday  >:D

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
Re: Huge rise in Kennel Club premium
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 08:18:02 PM »
Have you looked at that Bought By Many pet insurance.....Ollie is too old to move, but the reviews seem good, also John Lewis.

Last year I did the house insurance run around - was with Direct Line and did it again as new policy online and it was £50 odd pounds less than the renewal, I phoned and asked what was it all about and was told I could take the new policy out online if I wished but they could not match it over the phone.........it's a mad world out in insurance land :P
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 08:23:31 PM »

I suppose they would argue that potentially the more who take out insurance, the more people that can claim - I agree though, crazy logic, but a good excuse
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Darwin

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 08:28:20 PM »
Have you looked at that Bought By Many pet insurance.....Ollie is too old to move, but the reviews seem good, also John Lewis.

Last year I did the house insurance run around - was with Direct Line and did it again as new policy online and it was £50 odd pounds less than the renewal, I phoned and asked what was it all about and was told I could take the new policy out online if I wished but they could not match it over the phone.........it's a mad world out in insurance land :P

It seems that insurers are prepared to be more competive to keep your custom for home or car insurance, but not for pet insurance

John Lewis are very good, but prices can jump dramatically.

Offline its.sme

• Not trained to the Gun, just trained to my Mum x
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 09:09:47 AM »
I whent with Bought By Many when More Than wanted over £1,000 to insure Bea,

Worth shopping around but I think Bea will be uninsurable soon so she now has an ISA  :005:

Offline Barry H

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 09:35:08 AM »
Yes, it's frustrating, mine (not KC) went up alarmingly this year with no claims. 

However, as an ex-underwriter (not pet insurance) I can tell you that most insurers will be paying out only a little less than they're getting in.  In other words, the profit margin for insurers won't be as big as folks might imagine.  It may seem like a rip-off but it's a very competitive marketplace and rising costs of medication/vets bills, not to mention insurers own costs have to be borne by either increases or cuts in cover.  Most people don't want restricions in cover, so it's like it or lump it.  Premiums are claims driven (all claims in a particular market) and rates are worked out with the help of actuaries, not some bloke thinking of a number!

It's easy just to suck it up (as I did) and suspect most of us do as it takes no effort (not accusing anyone!).   As we know, the only way to deal with premium increases is to vote with the wallet and look for a cheaper quote.  Sadly, it's now becoming the norm to endure the drudgery of shoppng around every year at renewal time for all types of insurance, even for basics like utilities.

Offline Finvarra

• Milo, best of dogs
    • Gaia Art
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 10:38:11 AM »
Thanks for all the recommendations, I will check them out when I have psyched myself up sufficiently to start trawling the net.

As Barry says, this way of life is getting so depressing, having to look around for the best deal with electricity, phone, internet, various insurances etc etc etc etc. Every time Renewal comes around. Life is too short for all this c***, o for the days when we had one supplier and that was that. You can have too much choice, too much competition methinks.

Lesley and Dylan

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2018, 12:37:50 PM »
Last time I was at the vets I got talking to a lady who had 2 cocker poos, she told me that she decided against pet insurance, instead she put money aside as a standing order into an account just for vet fees.

A friend does something along these lines however has some kind of payment with Pets at Home vets for injections and seeing vetinary nurse.

The savigs is a great idea, but if your dog develops a life long early illness not sure it would help.

I agree with getting pysched up, I told BT the other week I was giving up the will to live talking to them and I had to finish the call as I would be come extremly annoyed. 
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2018, 02:50:59 PM »
Last time I was at the vets I got talking to a lady who had 2 cocker poos, she told me that she decided against pet insurance, instead she put money aside as a standing order into an account just for vet fees.

A friend does something along these lines however has some kind of payment with Pets at Home vets for injections and seeing vetinary nurse.

The savigs is a great idea, but if your dog develops a life long early illness not sure it would help.

I agree with getting pysched up, I told BT the other week I was giving up the will to live talking to them and I had to finish the call as I would be come extremly annoyed.

I started to put away an amount on standing order every month when we had Humphrey but took out an insurance  aswell which covers operations only, incase of anything serious. Touch wood, we haven‘t had to dip into either yet, but it does keep the insurance costs down. Vets costs seem to be a bit lower here anyway but only time will tell if it was a good decision or not..    :dunno:

Offline lescef

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2018, 03:10:41 PM »
I do understand that vets have lots of overheads to pay for but.....
A not for profit vet has opened about ten miles from us. My hairdresser has a bulldog that needed the operation to help him breathe. Her vet (also ours) had quoted 7k and she was lamenting how she was going to pay for it. The next time I went for an appointment, I asked about him. He had been to the not for profit vet and had it done for £900.
It just raises more questions....
Lesley, Maddie and Bramble

Offline Darwin

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2018, 09:41:55 PM »
I think with every dog breed, there is a predefined age point that there is a major increase in insurance. Is it age 7 or 8 for Cockers?

Offline Barry H

« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 09:43:21 AM »
I think with every dog breed, there is a predefined age point that there is a major increase in insurance. Is it age 7 or 8 for Cockers?
I think with my policy it's 9 - single figure age anyway.

Putting on my (ex)underwriter hat on again - saving money every month seems like a great idea, especially for younger dogs who have no health problems.  But it's also worth bearing in mind that insurance doesn't just cover illness.  A good policy should also cover accidental damage caused by your pooch(es) and third party liability cover (death or injury to a person and loss or damage to property).  It's all a bit of a gamble, and of course things like this will never happen to you (!) but sh*t happens.  With insurance the risks pass from you to the insurer, so you can sleep at night...

Anyway, I've always regarded vets as only a little lower on the rip-off scale than car mechanics with plumbers (royalty) at the top!  I recently paid £135 for a plumber who was here only 20 mins when the CH boiler packed in during the cold spell (frozen outlet pipe).  I kid you not!  I'm still having therapy for that one...  I'm so glad I didn't ask him if he wanted a cuppa.

Offline PennyB

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2018, 10:45:30 AM »
Lady's (MoreThan) went from £60ish to £81 then £187 but I managed to reduce that down to £87 by changing policy with morethan to a more budget one as my feelings at that stage were she was quite old by then and I didn't want her to have any intensive surgery etc. so why insure for it but policy still covered her well despite the reduction.

Government are also contributing to the increase as well with their stealth tax on insurance

I am now making sure that if mine are on regular treatment that the meds are all bought online so it reduces costs all round and I think some insurers are mentioning this to some as well (have done this also as my new vets - my old vets were taken over by a much larger organisation - have increased the vet fees by over 100%, especially the meds  >:( )
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!