Author Topic: Hi  (Read 9908 times)

Offline ips

Hi
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:55:04 AM »
Hi
Not been that active on the forum recently for various reasons. Anyway we have been busy dogging in, have had a few formal driven days, done some beating and the syndicate shoot is under way. Oh also done the odd pigeon from a hide type day.
So what have you working dog folk been up too ?
Muddling along in the hope that one day it all makes sense.

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Hi
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:37:04 PM »
Hi Ian! nice to have you back!! :clapping:

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 01:30:56 PM »
Hi Ian,

Good to see you back on here  :D  I shall watch your videos later though I suspect I may have seen them already!

Us: we have been mostly feeding pheasants, dogging in, training days (cold and warm) novice dog day on a local commercial shoot and field trials - the latter to help and watch.

Pearl now definitely retired although her basic obedience is getting better!
Purdey is much better for remedial training over  the summer and actually takes direction.... previously a good sweeper but as she decided not where we needed!  :lol2:
Sally starting to do well picking up and beating
Coral - when she works for me is just fabulous - she picks up pheasants at last and the penny seems to be dropping regarding chasing (less often, for less time and less distance....)

So far so good this season!

Jayne

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 03:37:39 PM »
Hi Ian,
We've been dogging in and beating/ picking up - with my older, reliable dog, Pip.  Been on some live training days with the younger one, Kesby, and working on a Sunday training 'programme' to get him reliably steady.  He's a wild one lol.  Keeper is putting on a walked up/ boundary day for myself and a friend and our dogs next weekend, so am hoping to take the wild one...  we shall see how he goes!  He's very exciting to watch, but it's also a bit hair-raising!!  Goal is to have him steady and at least picking up a bit on the shoot by the end of the season.
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »
Hi Ian, welcome back  :dance04:

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 06:45:34 PM »
Lovely to see you, you have been missed.

Offline ips

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 10:33:18 PM »
Thanks everyone, good to hear how your all doing 👍
I will try to be more active, i got a bit side tracked with other thing's but i still consider this to be the best and most friendly forum i have ever been involved with 😁

Offline ips

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 09:03:51 AM »
Boundary day should be great fun, make sure we get full report 👍

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 09:52:58 AM »
Boundary day should be great fun, make sure we get full report 👍
Am hoping it’ll be a good fun, relaxed day out with friends and dogs (without the pressure of it being a formal training day).  I expect, however, that it’s more likely to be a manic, roller-coaster exercise involving a lot of frantic whistling and a bit (lot!) of swearing  :lol2:!  I’ll be taking both of my dogs, so when I need a break from the manic one, I’ll bring out Pip, who is a joy to work.

Offline bmthmark

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 06:08:54 PM »
Thanks everyone, good to hear how your all doing 👍
I will try to be more active, i got a bit side tracked with other thing's but i still consider this to be the best and most friendly forum i have ever been involved with 😁

I agree this is definitely the best and most friendly forum. The people on this forum never judge and are always willing to try and help

Offline ips

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2018, 06:48:19 PM »
Ha, it sounds great. I have done a couple of boundary days and shooting over your dog (or having it shot over) is imo the very essence of what we all train for. Everything else such as beating is very much an alien man made environment , great fun of course. 😃 The problem i see with beating is that dog never gets an immediate reward for all its hard work, as in a retrieve having marked the shot bird that it flushed, its a sort of working day without a pay packet 😁

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2018, 01:40:44 PM »
Yes, I feel the same.  All the training is geared towards rough shooting, yet most of us beat or pick up so there's no complete sequence for the dogs.

On the shoot where mine work, I pick up during a drive or two so he gets at least a few retrieves.  And we sweep up after drives too.  Luckily it's a small farm syndicate and I'm able to do whatever i choose.  Personally i prefer beating to picking up as it's more social and I find it more fun than my dog and I standing around in a field on our own waiting for birds to land...  Other bonus is that the shoot has some great beaters'/ keepers' and invitation days that are combined walked up in woodland with a bit of driven. But while i worry about the shoot not replicating the training, I don't actually think my dogs mind what they do - it's all great fun for them.  Pip absolutely loves dogging in  :D

Offline ips

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2018, 02:48:00 PM »
Interesting that you mention dogging in. I dog in daily from aug to nov and i love it. I think it replicates a walked up day or rough shoot but without the gun. I take a ball and sometimes a dummy and reward good steadiness with a run in to the ball or a blind or marked retrieve of the dummy. I consider it excellent training if its done right and used to your advantage. I probably prefer dogging in to anything else but i am quite anti social and enjoy my own company 😁

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2018, 03:23:04 PM »
Sounds like me  :lol2:.  Love rambling around the farm herding birds - just me and Pip.  Pip knows all the boundaries so pretty much does it with little interference from me.  He's developed a 'sheepdog' style when the birds are out in the open.  Stops to let them move on.  Never rushes in to chase.  Stops, waits for them to move, then moves really slowly - sort of stalking them.  He's brilliant and it's beautiful scenery too.

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 04:01:07 PM »
 Good to hear things are going well!

We're out at a local shoot with Jago most weeks.  He's doing brilliantly and works his heart out.   I have to say he needs to learn patience between drives and his heel walking is a nightmare when he's excited but once he's properly working he's a joy to watch.

Last week on the second drive through cover crop (you can't see them at all so you just cross your fingers and whistle them close) he just appeared at my feet with a pricked hen from the first drive and delivered it beautifully for me.

On the 3rd drive the keepers springer and cocker couldn't get hold of a cock runner so we sent Jago in and he returned being pecked and clawed by a massive pheasant (who was mortally injured but needed some help).  No fear and it's just getting the job done for him  :luv:

4th drive was masses of contact flushes but he didn't lose his head as others did, still responded to a stop whistle and had to sit while a dozen birds went up around him.

On the last drive he flushed a hare and sat to stop after taking 2 paces. 

So proud of this little one <3 
IMG_6714 by helen_noakes, on Flickr
helen & jarvis x