Author Topic: Pancreatitis treats  (Read 1636 times)

Offline theoldfella

Pancreatitis treats
« on: February 09, 2021, 03:03:52 PM »
The vet has told me that she thinks Tango, 8 in June, may have pancreatitis. The blood tests were all fine and she said he's quite healthy apart from this soreness when she feels his tummy, and he's also a little overweight.

I'm just starting to switch him to a low fat diet as she suggested (RC gastrointestinal kibble and tins) but I'm a bit confused about what treats I can give him now because of the fat content. She said cheese, gravy bones etc.. are definitely out but I always have some decent treats on me as its one of the main ways of keeping him with me when we're out!  He's never been into veg, apart from a leftover roast potato😁, I tried some carrot yesterday and he looked at me as if to say.......  so I think that's going to be a hard one to crack. So many packets say low fat and when I check quite a few show 5% or less on the ingredients listing, but is that all I need to look at? I've seen some fish cubes which look promising but they're very expensive. I even wondered about quorn sausages as they're supposed to be low fat and he's certainly had a bit of my leftover one at a bbq!

Can anyone clarify things for me please and recommend any suitable treats.

Thanks in anticipation
Kevin

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Pancreatitis treats
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2021, 05:51:33 PM »
You could cook up  some low fat meat - chicken or better still turkey breasts, dice it and keep it in the freezer and then just take out a few bits at a time. (I usually just poach it in a pan with a bit of water) Admittedly its not quite as convenient as using ready made treats but works out cheaper and isn‘t full of additives!

Offline LucyJ

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 09:47:24 AM »
I used to cook chicken and turkey for Cooper, though he was so greedy he was happy with just a piece of his normal dry food (he was on Chappie)

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2021, 11:41:05 AM »
Cubes of cooked  liver?  Or make an oven baked  tray of whizzed up liver, egg,  flour or leftover cooed rice?  Cut  into cubes.  Is he allowed bits of pasta?
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline theoldfella

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2021, 03:19:50 PM »
Thanks for the replies. 
I've bought some turkey breast to begin with as that should be very easy to prepare, then I will get a bit more adventurous and try your suggestion Phoenix.  I used to mix a bit of leftover pasta in with his old food so I will give it a try but on its own I think it might be too bland taste. Been looking at getting a dehydrator too for the meat but not sure yet. Also found some fish cubes online which look to be very low fat so I will be ordering them to try.

Offline ejp

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 10:55:12 PM »
Weirdly, my dogs have all loved plain cooked pasta.  You can dry out things like thinly sliced carrot and apple in a low oven if you want to give it a go before investing in a dehydrator.  The dried fish cubes are a good shout, hope they work for you.

Online Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2021, 10:38:25 AM »
Thanks for the replies. 
I've bought some turkey breast to begin with as that should be very easy to prepare, then I will get a bit more adventurous and try your suggestion Phoenix.  I used to mix a bit of leftover pasta in with his old food so I will give it a try but on its own I think it might be too bland taste. Been looking at getting a dehydrator too for the meat but not sure yet. Also found some fish cubes online which look to be very low fat so I will be ordering them to try.

Fish4Dogs do a wide range of low fat treats including Sea Jerkys you could have a look and see they could help: most orders free delivery without spending a fortune (buy 1 bag to try  ;) ). https://www.fish4dogs.com/shop/dog/sea-jerky   they also do other treats such as salmon morsels in their variety section. 
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2021, 01:32:50 PM »
My Olive is on a low fat diet due to her pancreas , I give her. Wagg low fat treats , Frolic Mis Fits and veggies.
I feed her tinned Chappie and biscuits.
She is a rescues, when she arrived she was a very pampered dog and fed the best of the deli counter! She had lots of relapse, since coming to us she has done really well, Chappie is a great food.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010

Offline MIN

• GEMMA
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2021, 04:24:38 PM »
Have a look at "life of riley" (Facebook) they do a good range of homemade snacks and treats
Run free and fly high my beautiful Gemma
2011 - 2023 

----

Offline theoldfella

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2021, 07:32:38 AM »
More good tips,  thanks.
The cooked turkey is proving very popular right now and I've ordered some of the fish4dogs treats as an alternative.
Very interesting about Chappie food - I've seen it mentioned numerous times in connection with pancreatitis but when I mentioned it to the vet she was quite dismissive about it, saying it was poor quality. Yet if others here recommend it I'm still tempted to try it but I've nearly finished fully switching tango to the RC low-fat now so I don't think I should try something else new just yet.

Offline rubyduby

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2021, 03:10:06 PM »
You need to rethink everything , most normal treats are way to high in 'extras' bad for healthy dogs much less pancreatic ones, please note the food should be below 10% fat, but that is not the figure on the tin or packet that you go by, it is the Dry matter figure, so you have to use a formula to work out the DM, I would recommend joining the Pancreatic dogs' site on fb and be sure it is Birtish as some things recommended may not be available if for instance the site is basicly USA. There is lots of information AND the formula (very simple) to work out the fat in you dogs food, for example I read on one food type the fat content was around 10% but when you use the formula to work out the fat, with all the important figures (water etc) it actually came out at over 23%.
usually when fat content is discussed with diet for Panc dogs, it is usually referring to the Dry matter reading....not what it says infront of you. I have had my girl with Pancfor around 4 yrs now and have only actually found two dog foods that are suitable, none are raw and kibble is definately out , and touch wood she is still doing ok