Author Topic: Cocker on lead training video - updated with another link  (Read 2204 times)

Offline cazza

• Site Member
A friend of mine sent me this link and as a few people have said there are very few training videos with cockers I thought I would share and see what your thoughts are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q83sGc_7M5M

Offline JohnMcL

• Donator
Re: Cocker on lead training video
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2021, 10:06:40 AM »
That’s my coffee break entertainment and Pea’s after lunch activity arranged. Good to see an actual Cocker!

Thanks Cazza.

John.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: Cocker on lead training video - updated with another link
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2021, 07:31:59 AM »
Found this on YouTube, think he has some good ideas and not just for the residential working cocker, but shows videos on proximity and nail clipping etc

The link is to day one of the resident working cocker, and goes on to lead walking etc in other videos

https://youtu.be/mf7poDhQbRc

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2021, 07:51:15 AM »
That‘s a joy to watch!

Offline Pearly

• Donator
  • Pearl, Coral, Sally, Purdey and Kukri
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2021, 11:31:47 AM »
Not a fan, sorry.

The clip is teaching the dog to be erratic on the lead, it’s way too young to recognise “tension” and wearing a collar so there isn’t really any tension. 

Far better getting a lesson with a gundog trainer, who’s first comment will be to teach your cocker to walk to heel, last!  Get the basics in first - sit, stop and recall.  Get a slip lead and learn how to position it correctly and use it properly, without causing any harm to the dog.

The other thing I wasn’t keen on was how tall the chap is compared to his dog and how he was leaning over the pup.  If you really want to follow his advice then at least sit on the ground with your pup and don’t dominate it, otherwise you risk having a pup that won’t recall all the way back to you and runs rings round you when they do come back…..

I did like the way he was with the pup otherwise  :D

Online bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2021, 01:20:39 PM »
Not a fan, sorry.

The clip is teaching the dog to be erratic on the lead, it’s way too young to recognise “tension” and wearing a collar so there isn’t really any tension. 

Far better getting a lesson with a gundog trainer, who’s first comment will be to teach your cocker to walk to heel, last!  Get the basics in first - sit, stop and recall.  Get a slip lead and learn how to position it correctly and use it properly, without causing any harm to the dog.

The other thing I wasn’t keen on was how tall the chap is compared to his dog and how he was leaning over the pup.  If you really want to follow his advice then at least sit on the ground with your pup and don’t dominate it, otherwise you risk having a pup that won’t recall all the way back to you and runs rings round you when they do come back…..

I did like the way he was with the pup otherwise  :D

No, I wasn‘t so keen on that, the second one with Aiden was the one I meant, lovely gentle training....

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 10:10:02 PM »
I prefer the Aiden ones in the second link