Author Topic: 9 week old puppy absolutely obsessed with food!  (Read 1233 times)

Offline HoneeB

9 week old puppy absolutely obsessed with food!
« on: May 24, 2021, 12:32:35 PM »
We recently lost our 16 yr old, food obsessed golden, cocker spaniel girl and to be honest, I thought nothing could beat her in terms of her interest in food, bless her  ;)
We have recently however,  become the new parents of now 9 week old, little orange roan girl Berry and oh my word!
She is so food obsessed! She knows already which cupboard the food stays in and if she sees us near it, she is over straight away crying and wimpering. If we are eating, she literally tries to scramble up the sides of the chair or even climb up our legs to see what we have. We do just redirect her And she will be redirected and after doing so a few times, she will give up. However, I don’t remember Honey being as food motivated as this, so early. We aren’t sharing food with her st this point.
I have begun trying to use small treats to train her and the first thing I wanted to teach her was a “look” command to get attention. She is so excited by the treat though, she won’t look at me.
I then tried sit which was more successful. She picked that up very quickly - and then kept coming up to me after and sitting at my feet eagerly looking at me, hoping I would give her a treat! It was quite funny!
We have started to slowly change her food over because the brand the breeder used is a pet stores own brand and we don’t have that pet store locally. I wanted to use something a bit better quality which was easy enough for us to buy. She sniffles through the food and picks out  the new brand before reluctantly then eating the original. If we use kibble for training and not treats, she spits it out.
I had forgotten how clever cocker spaniel puppies are but we really don’t want to start out with bad eating habits.

Offline cazza

• Site Member
Re: 9 week old puppy absolutely obsessed with food!
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 06:59:55 AM »
 :005: sounds like you have got a lab rather than a cocker food wise  :005: Ash is the same and I asked the breeder if she had sold me a lab in disguise  :005:

Up until Now Ash has only had her kibble for training - as a treat she now gets a carrot (sometimes frozen ones) or an ice cube

I have just introduced her to the Kong and she has one a day when I put her in her crate in the day - trying to get her used to me going out and leaving her at home (even though I only go and hide in the office, as I will have to leave her at some point if I need to go back to the office. I have also had a dog sitter come in for an hour or two as I have had to be on an important call and it was over Ash’s feed time )

I am leaving higher value treats (liver cake, chicken, sausage etc) until she hits the teenage stage

What food have you moved Berry on to? Sounds like she prefers it.