Author Topic: Feeling Really Negative  (Read 2801 times)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2005, 05:58:15 PM »
Don't let them. Just think of all the fun you'll all have, and Daisy too. Indie is a changed boy sice Hamish arrived, and I wouldn'#t change it for the world.

The stinky house comment is just ignorant - my house never stinks, I bath them regularly, and sometimes they smell a bit wet dog, but that's it.

Have a hug and a big vodka from me (((((((hugs)))))))))
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2005, 08:23:38 PM »
Awww thats a shame  :( ...go with your gut instinct...if you really want another pup then go for it  ;) ...I havent got children but I have never regretted getting a second cocker.  Just seeing them play together is great and they are lovely company for each other  :D xxxxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2005, 08:41:57 PM »
I know exactly how you feel.

We almost got a second cocker not so long ago and have to say received exactly the same reaction. Our parents were horrified, my dad said two dogs would "rule your life"  :angry: . I was upset and so disapointed that no one had a positive attitude.

I think you should take no notice or you run the risk of them spoiling all the excitement that goes with the build of of getting a new pup. This may be your last pup for a while so enjoy every moment  :D  You have chosen your pup already so you must have already thoroughly thought this through, its time to look at the positives of bringing a second cocker into your home  ;)  . Wait until your new pup arrives, i bet these people will be knocking on your door just longing for a hold and a cuddle of your new pup

Offline denisec

• Site Member
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2005, 08:53:48 PM »
"Oooh, they'll tie you down" - already had one dog and 2 very young kids (how much more tied can you get?)
"Your house will be destroyed" - Molly had already grown out of the destroyer phase and Brodie never touched a thing.
"Your house will stink!" - Most people comment that my house doesn't have a 'doggy' smell at all (except on bath days or very wet days  :lol: ).  As long as you keep them clean, what's the problem?
"It'll cost you a fortune to feed them" .
[snapback]153652[/snapback]

We were given all this negative advice as well when we were thinking of getting a dog and to be honest it did put me off a bit as we had never owned a dog before, but now that we have Ghillie we wouldn't look back.  I cant imagine not having her now, we all love her to bits  :D

I would say that if it is what you want and you know yourself you can take it on then GO FOR IT !!!

Offline Spanielsmum

• Site Member
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2005, 09:08:39 PM »
I got that from OH's parents with number 2, we used to only have 1 :blink:
Now we have 4 and I don't listen to them any more :lol:
Sod what others think, its your life, your dog and no matter what they don't live your life - get more, thats my advice :P  :lol:  :D
[snapback]153653[/snapback]

So you've definately got 4 now eh?? What happened to ....he's just a foster! :lol:  :lol: Welcome to your new home little Dobbie...... :lol:  :lol: (or Oscar/Ghillie :P )

Offline workingcockers

• Site Member
    • http://www.workingcockers.co.uk
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2005, 11:15:42 PM »
Go with gut instinct - if it feels right then it is. You only live once and you dont want to live the future saying 'what if'

best wishes

kirsten
Kirsten Strachan
Lorne Working Cockers

Penel

Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2005, 10:05:22 AM »
Ditto to all of the above - stuff what anyone else thinks - its your life  :)

Offline LoveCatz

• Site Member
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2005, 04:24:39 PM »
I would try and ignore them and enjoy your new bundle. We want cocker number two early next year when Pepsi is around a year old. Whilst walking in Irchester Country Park today we came across a couple who had two cockers and they were chatting so I asked if they'd recommend having a second one. They straight away said "Oh God, yes" There is about 12 months between their two and they get on lovely and having had a chat about the pro's and cons of having two I am definately sold on the idea.

Offline amanda

• Site Member
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2005, 05:58:43 PM »
Aww Toni,

I agree with everyone else, you have to make your own mind up. When we told our family recently that we had decided to get another pup we had a lot of negative comments too. My mum told us to wait until we have moved house (which will probably be after christmas) and my dad told us we were being stupid having 2 dogs, they've had 2 dogs since i was about 5 years old so i thought it was a bit of a double standard. He reckons that they were a lot more stable when they got their second dog as their kids were older, but we are in a stronger position IMO as we have our own house and don't wants kids for a few years if ever. Also loads of people at work keep telling me that we must be mad, but they aren't 'doggy people' so their opinions really don't count to me. Sorry i'm rambling now.
With regards to having a baby, 2 dogs may be better as they will keep each other occupied. I hope the visit went well and has reinforced your decision. Want to see lots of pictures :wub:
Amanda, Indie and Zephie

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2005, 06:50:35 PM »
It's funny isn't it, the rule your life type comments. My life was ruled when we got one, it doesn't make any more difference with two, apart from expense! You walk one dog, two is just as easy, you come home to let one out, the same.

Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline Spanielsmum

• Site Member
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2005, 06:54:48 PM »
:D I find having 2 is less of a worry if you're delayed. They keep each other company. :D

Penel

Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2005, 07:03:03 PM »
:D I find having 2 is less of a worry if you're delayed. They keep each other company. :D
[snapback]153952[/snapback]

same goes for 4  :lol:

Offline Jayne

• Site Member
    • http://
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2005, 07:22:44 AM »
Just having a moan really.    :(

We have had such negative feedback from every single person we know about us getting a second dog. My boss, my friends, OH friends, my work colleagues, our neighbours, even my Mum have all said 'Don't do it'

I have tried to give them our reasons, better for Daisy etc etc but not one person has said that its a good idea. They all have thier reasons, ranging from 'How will we ever be able to have a baby with two dogs?' to 'Your house will stink' !!!!!!!  :o

We are going to visit him for the first time tomorrow and everyones negativity has really rubbed off on me and really taken the shine off my new pup.

:(
[snapback]153610[/snapback]
Hi Toni and Daisy,

I know what you are going through as I went through exactly the same and you can read about my trauma's in the Behaviour Forum!
I have Ebony who has just turned one and I like yourself decided that another cocker would be great company for her. I looked around and found Coco who was adorable. When I told my family that I was getting another pup I was met with the same negativity. My friends also gasped when I told them, you would have thought I had just announced something really drastic by their reactions, not just that I wanted another dog!
Anyway I ignored everyones advise and went ahead, unfortunately things didn't get off to a great start and I did have trouble settling the new one in. My family said 'you've made your bed you can now lie in it' so I turned to COL for advise.
Everyone said stick with it, I thought I had made a huge mistake and thought I wasn't suited to having two dogs...what had I done?...
Well now look at me, Ebony and Coco within 2 weeks are the best of friends and it was definately the best decision I ever made. Just watching the two of them chasing each other up and down the garden is great. When Coco is hanging off Ebony's ears I laugh and my heart melts when they curl up asleep together at night.
My family absolutely adore Coco, and my mum now says, you can never split them up! She came round yesterday and was jokingly saying to Coco, you're mummy didnt want you.
As for the house, smells etc if you're house was clean with one dog will be clean with two. Just because you get another dog it doesn't mean your own standards slip. I invested in a baby gate when Coco came along which now segregates the lounge area that way I know that my lounge is always clean. If I have visitors I can keep the girls out if necessary. They come in at night when I am in there, but the rest of the time its a dog free zone.
Don't be put off by people, you know what's right for you and Daisy. I'm not saying it wiil be easy, but it will DEFINATELY be worth it!
Good luck with your new ickle one...xx

love Jayne, Ebony and Coco

Offline isla

• Site Member
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2005, 09:05:41 AM »
Don't let them get you down. You have thought this through and Daisy will love having a new playmate. As for starting a family my parents had a newborn, a 16 month baby and a cocker puppy and it worked fine.

I would love another one eventually myself... best of luck!! :)

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
Feeling Really Negative
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2005, 10:42:38 AM »
Don't let people put you off. it is great having 2 dogs and if you get them both used to babies and small children they will probably be very protective of any human babes that may eventually arrive.
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver