Author Topic: Reinstalling Windows Xp  (Read 2150 times)

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Reinstalling Windows Xp
« on: January 16, 2006, 12:46:58 PM »
Re installing windows

This is really a simple task these days, most reputable resellers provide recovery disks which re install windows and all the drivers you need. Your computer / laptop will be effectively the same as when you first turned it on.

If you only have a Windows Xp disk and no drivers disk things can get more difficult (Hours spent looking for some obscure drivers on out of date websites) but this is not always the case.

Before backing up your data you need to do the following - You don’t want to re infect a clean install of xp.

Firstly make sure you windows is up to date with all critical patches www.windowsupdate.microsoft.com.
Then make sure you virus protection is up to date - Perform a full scan.
Make sure you have got the latest updates for your spyware scanner - perform a full scan.

Best way to back up is to copy all your photos, mp3's etc to either cd or dvd. When you have burn all your cds just test them all !! For the extra few mins its takes you can avoid losing all your holiday snaps cos of a bad burn.

If you dont have a cd/dvd writer why not ? - If you`ve got a standard pc invest in one there cheap www.ebuyer.co.uk. If you`ve got a laptop without one there more expensive, your best buying an external one using usb check usb compatability 1.1 and 2.

Places you can store data.

You`ve backed up all your data, Now check again !! you always lose something, well I do.
Check:-
My Documents
Favorites (Internet Explorer)
C: (Root)
Desktop

If you've got an external modem, did you need drivers to install it ? have you got them. If not download them off the internet !! Once you've cleared your hardrive without a modem working your can't download anything you need to get going again.

Also check you have any sign in information you might need - I.e. passwords for NTL etc.

The following is from the HP web site but it should be universal for all makes of laptop and desktops wit the recovery software.

Reinstall Windows using the Operating System Disc (OSD).

Windows XP can be reinstalled using the OSD included with your notebook PC. Reinstalling the operating system may be necessary if repairing or otherwise restoring Windows does not fix the problem. Reinstalling Windows is not the same process as repairing Windows.

WARNING: Personal data and software you have installed on the notebook will be lost during the OSD reinstall. HP recommends that you make a backup copy of all personal data before beginning this process. For information on creating a backup copy of your data see Microsoft's Backup Basics.

Follow the steps below to reinstall your operating system:

Connect the AC adapter and turn on the notebook PC.
      Insert the OSD into the CD or DVD drive.
      Press and hold the Power button for five seconds to turn off the notebook.
      Press the Power button again to start the notebook.
      Press any key to boot from CD when prompted. The Welcome to Setup screen is displayed.
      Press the Enter key to continue. A Licensing Agreement screen is displayed.
      Press the F8 key to accept the agreement and continue. The Setup window is displayed.
      Press the Esc key to continue installing a fresh copy of the operating system without repairing.
      Press Enter to setup the operating system.
      Press C to continue using this partition.
      Select Format the partition using the NTFS file system (Quick) and press Enter. A caution is displayed that formatting this drive will delete all current files.
          * To cancel this procedure press the Esc key on the keyboard.
          * To continue with reformatting your hard drive press the F key on your keyboard.
      The reinstallation process begins and may take several minutes to complete. The notebook restarts into Windows after the process is complete.

NOTE: When prompted for the product key, refer to the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity located on the bottom of the notebook.

When Windows is going again - Hopefully with no problems. Your drivers should all be installed automatically but if you have a separate disk you may need to install the contents - Should guide you through it when you put the disk in.

First get your modem installed and firewall going.
Install anti virus and anti spyware and update.
Then get windows updated with all patches.

Do all this before surfing or checking your email and restoring all your backed up data.

And your ready to go again.

Just remember !!!!  Dont panic, once your data is backed up you cant do any damage, it can all be sorted out if you do make a mistake. Get yourself on a mates PC and Google for an answer or PM me and ill see what I can do.

Jim
Jim, Kate, Bails, Millie & Gypsy Working for
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
NESSR / NECSR Cocker Rehoming Co-ordinator

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Reinstalling Windows Xp
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2006, 05:01:55 PM »
Tonights the night - I'm going to try it  :unsure:  :rolleyes:

I may be some time, fingers crossed  :blink:

Janice

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Reinstalling Windows Xp
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 05:09:27 PM »
Pm'd you...

Oh and make sure you have this thread printed off or writen down  B)

Gud Luck  :)
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Reinstalling Windows Xp
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2006, 08:24:37 AM »
An' a' still mucked it up!!!  :blink:

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Reinstalling Windows Xp
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006, 09:23:26 AM »
Jim the internet is working, obviously  :rolleyes: !! My email is still AWOL - but I think that's more to do with something I've done  :blink:

I've had 2 messages alerting me to a prblem with the the registry, saying it's infected, and sending me to :-

www.regfixes.com and www.patchupdate.info

- is this actual help or a scam, I'm scared to down load anything on my putter.

Spybot and AVG didn't pick anythig up by the way - it's a persistant wee blighter.

I know I'm a pest - but I'm a very grateful pest  :D

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Reinstalling Windows Xp
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 10:30:12 AM »
Its defo a scam... Don't even goto the sites...

How is you pc running now apart fromt the messages and email..

Is it running quick than before.

I`ll have a good scout round the net at dinner but from what ive read your ip address is being targeted and your firewall isnt keeping the program out But I need to check.

Will E-mail my Bro-in-Law hows a computer expert see if he knows a fix...

I wouldnt do any online banking or send any details etc for the time being
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Reinstalling Windows Xp
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2006, 11:08:39 AM »
One of the sites popped up last nite, but I didn't click on anything - spotted a spelling mistake and that made me suspicious.

My putter seems to be working better, and I can click on links now, but I'm worried about this registry thingie.

Thanks Jim your such a star  :)

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Reinstalling Windows Xp
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2006, 11:15:56 AM »
hopefully we can remote access now then...

Go to www.logmein.com and see if it will let you set your computer up now.

Pm me if you have probs..

Jim
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Reinstalling Windows Xp
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2006, 11:40:27 AM »
Jim it let me do it  :)

Let me know what you want me to do, I can't remember what you need to access my putter.

I'm going shopping in a wee while, then pick Andy up from school - let me know when you're available.  ;)

Offline BigJim&Kate

• Site Member
    • NESSR - Spaniel Rescue
Reinstalling Windows Xp
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2006, 11:49:43 AM »
Just your email address and password.

Sounds better thou. Just have to sort out this pop up.

If I can get on we shouldn't have any problems...

:D  :D
NESSR - Spaniel Rescue

Offline Miss Poohs

• Site Member
Reinstalling Windows Xp
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2006, 11:59:03 AM »
Just Pm'ed you Jim - got everything crossed it works.