Author Topic: Long Or Short Tail  (Read 2316 times)

Offline yasluna

• Site Member
Long Or Short Tail
« on: January 21, 2006, 04:26:42 AM »
Hi, popis is three months and I'm undecided, I don't know if it would be better to have her tail cut or leave it long. I would like to cut it because I know that's the way cocker spaniels should be, and they look much nicer with a short tail. but in the other hand, I feel so bad when I imagine her in pain, she is so little and I don't want to cause her pain. what do you think?

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2006, 07:06:16 AM »
Hi, popis is three months and I'm undecided, I don't know if it would be better to have her tail cut or leave it long. I would like to cut it because I know that's the way cocker spaniels should be, and they look much nicer with a short tail. but in the other hand, I feel so bad when I imagine her in pain, she is so little and I don't want to cause her pain. what do you think?
[snapback]177541[/snapback]

I have two with docked tails but theirss were docked when they were a few days old.

I'm not sure about getting them docked when they get to that age, I've never heard of it to be honest. Usually docking is done pretty much straight away if it is going to be done at all I think.

I am not against docking but I'm not sure that I'd dock the tail of a three month old to be honest, I think its fine if its done early, but this is going to sound stupid probably, she may have got used to her tail now xx

Offline kate.s

• Site Member
    • Ghost Tours UK
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 07:21:22 AM »
I thought that they had to have their tails docked at 2 days old, that's what my breeder told me....anyway, cockers have lovely tails
Love Kate and Sam xxx

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 08:29:51 AM »
Docking a tail has to be done when the puppy is 2-3 days old so you wouldn't be able to have it done now.
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 09:06:06 AM »
What country are you in? I ask as docking has been banned in some countries, I'm sure someone will be along soon with the countries it's been banned in  :) . As far as I know, vets in England will only dock when the pups are between 2-3 days old, unless its an older dog that has injured its tail so bad it needs amputating.
Cayley.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 09:26:43 AM »
No vet in the UK will dock a 3 month old puppy for any reason other than injury to the tail. I'm guessing you must be in the US where docking is legal but you will have to check for yourself whether vets will dock older puppies like yours. I personally can't see any reason to have it done at this late stage - docking should be done when the pup is 2-3 days old or not at all.

Jane
Jane

Offline MaxG

• Site Member
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2006, 09:33:03 AM »
Sorry to be so controversial here but why dock at all?! I've never understood it - it's brutal!

from Kath & 'Mad Max' !!

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2006, 09:48:07 AM »
Sorry to be so controversial here but why dock at all?! I've never understood it - it's brutal!
[snapback]177574[/snapback]

There was a recent discussion about docking, type the word into search (top of the page) and you'll find a few threads that will give you the opinions for and against it  :) .
Cayley.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2006, 09:51:51 AM »
Please don't turn this thread into a discussion about the rights & wrongs about docking - the recent discussion on COL allowed everyone to have their say for and against and I don't think we need another debate quite so soon after the last one ;)  

Jane
Jane

Offline Black Angel's

• Site Member
  • Muffin
    • http://www.blackmajestys.com
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2006, 02:48:39 PM »
Before 13 yrs when I had my first cocker,I got her when she was 2 months old,she was undocked at that time.We (mom & I) went to the vet and he said that we can dock her tail if we want to,and we did that.She wasn't suffering too long,only for 2 days,after that everthing was great with her.
One friend of mine did the same,she docked tail to her puppy when he was about 3 months old,nothing bad happened.
In my house,we have 2 docked cockers and 3 undocked,I prefer docked cockers,but now in our state docking is banned.I don't agree with this,but it's not on me to make a low.
Also,when I had litters,I docked their tails when they were 2 days old..

Iva
Black Majesty-english cocker spaniel & grand basset griffon vendeen kennel

-> www.blackmajestys.com -<

Offline yasluna

• Site Member
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2006, 05:49:10 PM »
What country are you in? I ask as docking has been banned in some countries, I'm sure someone will be along soon with the countries it's been banned in  :) . As far as I know, vets in England will only dock when the pups are between 2-3 days old, unless its an older dog that has injured its tail so bad it needs amputating.
[snapback]177561[/snapback]

I am from Mexico, and over here the vets recommend the docking to be performed at three months or younger, so if I want to do it this week is my last chance.

Offline debbie321

• Site Member
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2006, 07:04:06 PM »
If I had a choice, I would keep the tail.  I've met a few cockers with full tails and they are beautiful!  Ben is a working type and his tail was docked a day or so old (his is slightly longer than the show cockers).  Don't get me wrong - his tail is still gorgeous and has a lovely set of curls on the end  :D but I would rather he had the whole thing.

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2006, 07:26:33 PM »
[snapback]177541[/snapback]

Are you planning on showing Popis; and if so, are tailed dogs or docked dogs more accepted in the ring?

Do you plan to work Popis; docking was origionally done to prevent tail injuries, so a working dog may benefit from the process  :unsure:

If Popis is a companion/pet - then tbh, I don't see any benefits to having the tail docked - there is always a small risk of infection with any surgery, which I would avoid unless it was necessary  :)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline sarah jane

• Site Member
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2006, 08:26:12 PM »
:) Hi there,i'm not sure if docking would be agood idea with popis still having the runny bums(poop on hair)will it get infected  :o with you having to wash her 2/3 times a day,is it just me or am i abit daft :rolleyes:
Winnie clumber spaniel/ Jasmine,Talula,Eric,Enya cocker spaniels

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Long Or Short Tail
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2006, 10:15:39 PM »
:) Hi there,i'm not sure if docking would be agood idea with popis still having the runny bums(poop on hair)will it get infected  :o with you having to wash her 2/3 times a day,is it just me or am i abit daft :rolleyes:
[snapback]177779[/snapback]

I doubt a vet would carry out the procedure if Popis was ill anyway - loose stools is not *normal* for a dog and any procedure that puts more stress on the body and immune system should be avoided  :(
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club