Author Topic: Worms  (Read 3863 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Re: Worms
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2007, 09:09:15 PM »
Gayle - please don't panic  :D  Even if shadow does have a few worms, in an otherwise healthy puppy they are nothing to panic about  ;)

I think you need to go back to the vet, and ask what treatment Shadow is being given, and what the manufacturers schedule is  :-\  You might also want to ask why the  vet has to administer the treatment - most people worm and de-flea their dogs themselves, and it seems unusual for a vet to "send appointments"; do they charge you for this service ?
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline GailyK81

• Donator
  • My Beautiful boy Shadow
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2007, 09:11:51 PM »
Im wrong  ::) It is every month till they are 6mnths of age and every 4mnths depending on wormer after that  ph34r ::)
Thank god I was panicing then

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2007, 09:12:01 PM »
Your vet is right, puppies should be wormed once a month from 3 to 6 months then again at 9 and 12 months and then every 6 months after that. I use Milbemax for my lot as well. If you have a dog which scavenges carrion on walks or reguarly eats dog, cat or fox poo then you can worm adult dogs more often, every 3 months rather than 6. You also don't have to go back to the vet every time, you can buy the worming tablets from them and administer them yourself, just mark ahead on a calendar when he's due a dose.
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Cazzie

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2007, 07:47:12 AM »
Im wrong  ::) It is every month till they are 6mnths of age and every 4mnths depending on wormer after that  ph34r ::)
Thank god I was panicing then

Oh im sorry for panicing you  ;) The way I read your post I took it that you were intending to worm every month as initially didnt read how old he was  ::)  :blink:

Offline cazza

• Site Member
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2007, 07:51:28 AM »
Your vet is right, puppies should be wormed once a month from 3 to 6 months then again at 9 and 12 months and then every 6 months after that. I use Milbemax for my lot as well. If you have a dog which scavenges carrion on walks or reguarly eats dog, cat or fox poo then you can worm adult dogs more often, every 3 months rather than 6. You also don't have to go back to the vet every time, you can buy the worming tablets from them and administer them yourself, just mark ahead on a calendar when he's due a dose.

Aaarrrggghhhh - this thread has just reminded me I've missed worming braan  :embarassed: (He was due a couple of weeks back) Off to get wormer today as I've run out  ph34r

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2007, 07:58:24 AM »
Oops, same here, neither done and a pack of drontal sat on me desk the past two weeks as a reminder  :005:
Caroline and Alfie

Offline kalami

• Site Member
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2007, 09:19:14 AM »
Don't worry, We had 'one' worm few months ago now, just wormed her as usual (she was due) haven't seen any since, not had any fleas.

Offline GailyK81

• Donator
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2007, 10:24:02 AM »

You might also want to ask why the  vet has to administer the treatment - most people worm and de-flea their dogs themselves, and it seems unusual for a vet to "send appointments"; do they charge you for this service ?
It is the vet nurse that administers the tabs/flea liquid and I pay for the stuff only according to the bill this time it was 2tabs and 1 flea liquid £8.47.  I would be happy now to continue myself as he just eats the tablets and the flea liquid now I know where to put it wont be a problem. I just thought taking him there would mean he would not be a dog that cries each time he needs to go bet (my OH childhood dog used to know when he was going vet before the family did and hid under bed and would not come out) He dont have fleas btw I checked also nothing in poo poo dunno if he ate something that looked like brown slugs possible.  Thankyou for all your help dont know what i do without it  :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2007, 10:26:47 AM »

You might also want to ask why the  vet has to administer the treatment - most people worm and de-flea their dogs themselves, and it seems unusual for a vet to "send appointments"; do they charge you for this service ?
It is the vet nurse that administers the tabs/flea liquid and I pay for the stuff only according to the bill this time it was 2tabs and 1 flea liquid £8.47.  I would be happy now to continue myself as he just eats the tablets and the flea liquid now I know where to put it wont be a problem. I just thought taking him there would mean he would not be a dog that cries each time he needs to go vet

Fabulous idea - and I agree; if your vets are offering this sort of contact, it is well worth taking advantage of  :D Giving him as much exposure as possible when he is young will (hopefully) make routine and emergency visits less scary for him  :D
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Danni n Betty

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2007, 11:15:34 AM »

It is the vet nurse that administers the tabs/flea liquid and I pay for the stuff only according to the bill this time it was 2tabs and 1 flea liquid £8.47.  I would be happy now to continue myself as he just eats the tablets and the flea liquid now I know where to put it wont be a problem. I just thought taking him there would mean he would not be a dog that cries each time he needs to go vet

Fabulous idea - and I agree; if your vets are offering this sort of contact, it is well worth taking advantage of  :D Giving him as much exposure as possible when he is young will (hopefully) make routine and emergency visits less scary for him  :D

I do the same with Betty, and she's 3  :005:
It definatly makes getting throught the front door to the vets a lot easier  ::)  :005:
We go every 3 months for Milbemax, and to get weighed.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2007, 11:54:53 AM »
Dave is on the same worming program as shadow.. so no worries there and I agree that taking your god to the vet for lots of positive experiences will only help long term. My vet's offer a similar free service with the nurse, including free claw clipping (followed by a treat and lots of cuddles!), but mine run on such rough ground they don't ever seem to need it unfortunately! Dave will also get a free 6 month health check with the Vet too.. they obviously know they will get their money back over the period of the dogs life!

So breath easy and know that dogs are a bit smeggy  ph34r and grim things will happen from time to time  :005:

Hannah x

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline GailyK81

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2007, 07:56:10 PM »
My vet's offer a similar free service with the nurse, including free claw clipping (followed by a treat and lots of cuddles!),
Hannah x
  Yeah Shadow had his clipped last time he went and the nurse loves him, she keeps offering him a home everytime I go.  Last night I must admit it was a tempting offer :005: