Author Topic: Ear infection  (Read 2696 times)

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Ear infection
« on: January 29, 2004, 09:11:50 PM »
We have only had our puppy, Barnaby for a few weeks now and we took him to the vet for his first vaccination, however the vet told us that he has an ear infection in both ears. We don't know how he got it as he hasn't been doing much, He yelps now whenever you touch his ears. The vet gave us drops for him so he should be OK but do you know how he could have got it, we don't want it to happen again as he's in really pain. :cry:

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Ear infection
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2004, 10:51:30 PM »
It's unusual for very young puppies to get ear infections but it does sometimes happen - such infections are not really "caught" in the way that a virus is caught so it's nothing you have done or not done that's led to the infection. Once you have got Barnaby's ears healthy again, I would recommend you use an ear powder called "Thornit" to prevent problems in future. It's not available from your vet but is an old remedy that many Cocker owners & breeders swear by. You can buy it online at http://www.championpetsonline.co.uk/home.cfm                    
Jane

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Ear infection
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 10:59:27 PM »

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Ear infection
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2004, 11:11:31 PM »
Jane on that subject , when i was at my vets last with my cat I asked why the ear drops they gave us dident work  he said these things happen and asked if thornit would do the job. with that we got a very nasty reply saying thats not a medication for ear infections and there are 8 types of ear infections cockers get and it could more then likely damage the ear drum. is he right . has it been tested?  

Well if you count thousands of Cocker owners (& owners of other floppy eared breeds) using it without problems for many years, then yes Thornit has been well & truly tested :wink: That does not of course mean that vets approve of it :lol: Its up to you whether you try it or not - I've been using it for getting on for 20 years now & none of our Cockers have had damaged ear-drums as a result :wink:                    
Jane

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Ear infection
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 08:53:28 AM »
We have only had our puppy, Barnaby for a few weeks now and we took him to the vet for his first vaccination, however the vet told us that he has an ear infection in both ears. We don't know how he got it as he hasn't been doing much, He yelps now whenever you touch his ears. The vet gave us drops for him so he should be OK but do you know how he could have got it, we don't want it to happen again as he's in really pain. :cry:  

Katherine

Katherine, when he's asleep, flip his ears over so air can get in, I have to do this with Indie as his ears can get smelly sometimes, the air really helps keep them clean and dry, and I also do it when he's awake and lying down.

I hope the ear drops clear it up, I'm going to buy that powder stuff

Shona x                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline shonajoy

• Site Member
Ear infection
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 08:54:07 AM »
Thanks for the tip, Jane - I have just ordered some of this thornit stuff.

Shona                    
Shona, Indie(5) and Hamish (4)

Offline PennyB

Ear infection
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 09:41:54 AM »
I won't use thornits now as some of it has concreted in Ruby's ear.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Ear infection
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 09:48:48 AM »
My springer sporadically gets an inner ear infection. We've currently got some drops from the vet for the latest. I've never got around to buying Thornit (bad me!), but I really ought to, to prevent Jazz's ear infections from occuring.                    

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Ear infection
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 10:01:42 AM »
I must say - I love Thornit. Think its the best thing ever invented. Brook has always had a chronic ear problem in his left ear and was constantly on drops of some sort, sometimes steroids and he is not the most amenable dog in the world so it was a struggle. But since using Thornit, he has had no problems :D  I only use it once a month when they get their advantage on and he only starts to scratch and shake his head again a couple of days before the next treatment is due. Vegas and Dallas have never had ear problems :wink:  One of the vets mentioned the other day that I hadn';t had treatment for Brooks ear in yonks, I told her why and her eyes went something like  :roll:   :lol:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Ear infection
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2004, 10:04:02 AM »
I won't use thornits now as some of it has concreted in Ruby's ear.

It sounds like you used too much Penny - you only need a pinch in each ear for preventative use. Never had this problem with any of our Cockers anyway.                    
Jane

lynseyloo

Ear infection
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2004, 12:03:33 PM »
every since it was recommended on here I have always used it in jessies ears.. poppy even gets some in hers and shes a yorkie, however it clears up the waxy smell..   totally recommend it, and I do feel that vets wouldn't like it..cos they are not getting any profits by recommending it.. :wink:                    

Offline Katherine

• Site Member
    • http://www.howellsdesign.co.uk/katherine//
Ear infection
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2004, 05:58:51 PM »
Thanx for all your replies.
I think I might try some of this thornit stuff, hope it works.

Katherine                    
Katherine and Barnaby

Offline Jenny_930

• Site Member
Ear infection
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2004, 05:09:24 PM »
I was about to say to PennyB that maybe you used too much, I use it in Paddy's ears but you only use a tiny amount........never had any problems with Thornit and haven't had problems with Paddy's ears since, great stuff  :D                    

Offline Anita

• Site Member
  • Phoebe 21/8/02 - 1/11/16, Libby (2/4/05 - 25/11/16
Ear infection
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2004, 09:01:09 PM »
I use Thornit and I think it's great. Our vet did say it could compact in the ears as its like Talc but I think its just vets not liking ' alternative' remedies. As someone mentioned there's no profit in it for them. I do think you have to be careful not to use too much, but I'd definitely keep using it.                    
Anita