Author Topic: Injection reaction  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Packwood

• Site Member
Injection reaction
« on: February 05, 2004, 12:36:39 PM »
Milly (15wks old) has had a reaction to her rabies injection (given Tuesday) & has a lump at the injection site. I've just been given Rimadyl as an anti-inflammatory & Noroclav as an antibiotic for her (in case it's an abscess), but as an 'alternative' medicine person I'm not sure whether to give them to her or not. Any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks, Angela                    
Angela Packwood

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Injection reaction
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 12:43:13 PM »
Hiya,

I've not heard of a rabies injection before  :? obviously if you were given the medication by the vet, I don't want to say don't use it  :wink:  but you could try Arnica, I know various members on the site have used it on their dogs for bruising etc. I'm sure that the normal variety from the likes of Boots should be OK. Just an idea, but I'm sure others will have good advice. :)

Edited to add: if your interested into alternative medication etc...you might find Dorwest an interesting site...heres the link
http://www.dorwest.com/

Gilly                    

Offline PennyB

Injection reaction
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 12:55:21 PM »
Hiya,

I've not heard of a rabies injection before  :? obviously if you were given the medication by the vet, I don't want to say don't use it  :wink:  but you could try Arnica, I know various members on the site have used it on their dogs for bruising etc. I'm sure that the normal variety from the likes of Boots should be OK. Just an idea, but I'm sure others will have good advice. :)

Gilly

In some countries like in New England, US (endemic rabies in the racoon population; which I also know is endemic in Europe as well in the fox population) its a necessary evil that all cats and dogs are vaccinated against rabies along with all the other things we vaccinate ours against in the UK. Don't you have to have the jab for the pet passport as well?

Both my cats and dogs have had a reaction to their normal vaccinations/boosters in the past and  lump has been there at the vax site for a little while at least, which I assume is a reaction rather than bruising. I've never done anything about this reaction as it goes away.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Packwood

• Site Member
Injection reaction
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 01:09:11 PM »
Thanks Gilly for the Dorwest link. It'll be v. useful. Milly had the rabies injection for her pet passport - I want her to travel to France with me. I guess I over-reacted when I found the lump this morning & rushed her to the vet (still trying to cope with a puppy & scared of getting it wrong!). Really don't like the thought of giving her Rimadyl & Noroclav 'just in case' - but don't want her to suffer or anything - not that she is - she's just 'eaten' another flowerpot.
I really had forgotten how scarey it is to have a small being to look after.
Thanks, Angela                    
Angela Packwood

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Injection reaction
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 01:35:38 PM »
I think reactions are quite normal as a result of any vaccination. I know when I had mine to go to the carribean I was left with a small bruised lump (on my bottom  :oops: ) and my daughter had quite a severe reaction to her MMR.
Not anything to do with dogs obviously  :lol:  but I think you get the idea  :wink:                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Injection reaction
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2004, 02:26:40 AM »
?                    

Offline Packwood

• Site Member
Injection reaction
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2004, 10:28:25 AM »
Oh i never new you could give dogs hay fever pills , bella got stung by a bee last year i was wondering if i could give her half . how much do you give ? interesting incase something like a bee string happens again

I'm sorry, I don't know about giving hayfever pills - you'd need to go to a homeopathic vet I guess.                    
Angela Packwood

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Injection reaction
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2004, 11:24:52 AM »

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Injection reaction
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2004, 11:34:17 AM »

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Injection reaction
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 02:25:31 PM »
You won't be able to buy Rimadyl from a supermarket - you must be getting it confused with something else :?  Its an anti-inflammatory that can only be prescribed by a vet                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)