Author Topic: Urinary Crystals + Special Diet  (Read 1675 times)

Offline pines

• Site Member
Urinary Crystals + Special Diet
« on: February 06, 2004, 04:36:33 PM »

I have a Cocker Male diagnosed as making urinary Crystals if not kept on a special Vet diet costing an arm and a leg.
cannot have any treats so he is very attention seeking.Has anyone any information on diet etc or the complaint in general. Other than this he is a lovely boy. But I often wonder what the future holds for him.

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2004, 11:44:03 PM »

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
    • http://www.shandardel-cockers.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2004, 03:24:13 PM »
Did the vet say what sort of crystals they were?  There are 6 different types! Acidity or alkalinity of the urine is a predisposing cause.Struvite crystals are more likely to occur in a slightly acidic urine and I know of someone whose dog had this problem and she added a pinch of bicarbonate of soda to his water bowl and this worked wonders without the need for a special diet.  Every case is different though and you need to know exactly what sort of urolith he has.
In acidic urine oxalate and urate crystals are more likely to form - that is why I asked what type of crystals he has.                    
Linda
xx
Jodie, Pippa, Daisy, Lolly, Gem, Tigger, Butty, Fanny and Coco!

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 03:59:11 PM »
Hi Jean,
I tried to reply to your private message to me but couldn't.

I expect the vet is only too happy for your dog to remain on the special diet!  The friend I am referring to has a dog with the same problem (she is a breeder) and she was also told to keep him on a special diet (think it was a Hills one).  She read about the bicarbonate of soda and I know she told me that it works for him.  He eats the same food as her other cockers.  Funnily enough he is a blue roan as well (presume Blue is a blue roan!).  

How old is your cocker?  If you would like me to find out some more info then do let me know and I will see what I can do.  I don't want to conflict with your vet in any way but being a breeder myself and having 5 cockers, I do think they sometimes go over the top with their treatments.
Struvite crystals are the most common type of uroliths in dogs and can be caused by too much protein in the diet, by bacterial infection and certain other things.                    
Linda
xx

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 12:53:17 AM »

Offline LindaW

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 07:13:26 PM »
Hi Jean
Received your pm but I am unable to respond privately as your email is hidden.
Will certainly get some more information for you - don't despair! :!:                    
Linda
xx

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 12:34:34 PM »
I'd never heard of Urinary Crystals before so did a google search and this came up......... I don't know if it's any help, but it appears that Burns do a food to deal with the problem.

http://www.burns-pet-nutrition.co.uk/crystals.htm                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2004, 02:36:20 PM »