Author Topic: Cooking for your cocker  (Read 1879 times)

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
Cooking for your cocker
« on: April 13, 2008, 06:21:33 PM »
Hi

I think I am going a bit too far now. I have made a cottage pie for dinner and purposefully didn't put any onions (which I love) in it so Eric can have the left over mince. Does anyone else change there recipes to make them cocker friendly?

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
Re: Cooking for your cocker
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 06:34:35 PM »
Sometimes.

I make lots of soups and often take some out for Billy before I add salt & pepper !

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 06:43:22 PM »
It is a rarity for my OH to cook anything, but today I came home from work and he had done a variety of recipes for kongs for Alfie.  :D

So yes, the liitle blighters have an effect on us all, even miserable, lazy OH's.  :005:

I love him really.  :luv: :005: but yes I am cooking dinner tonight for us.  ::)

Offline EmmaA

• Site Member
  • Eric
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008, 06:49:16 PM »
How nice that your OH cooked his heart out for Alfie and left you out  :005:

Offline Countrygirl

• Donator
    • Countrygirl
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 07:53:21 PM »
Oh definitely.  I no longer put salt in vegetables when they are cooking so Ellie can have some with her dinner and I add salt to scrambled egg only after I have put a little bit to one side to cool for her.

Offline *Theresa*

• Donator
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008, 08:02:51 PM »
I absolutely hate liver and have always refused to have it in the house......along come two furry friends and I find myself baking liver bread and chunks of liver for healthy treats  ::)  :005: :005: :005:
Theresa, Dave, Glen and Sally (or their aliases Gwendoline and Scallywag)

Offline clairep4

• Site Member
  • The Two Muppeteers!
    • Chow Bella Pet Bowls
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 02:25:13 PM »
Not cooking for them but some of the revolting things I find myself chopping up for them (they're on Barf). I think the worst was the first time I bought a rabbit home from the butcher last Autumn and was thinking "ooh great, all the innards as well, that'll make a couple of nice offal meals for them", and then found myself holding something the size of the end of my thumb and quite hard, and wondered what it was. Then I realised - it was the poor bunny's cold heart... :'( I used to have a couple of dwarf house rabbits years back and couldn't help thinking of them.

Still, the dogs enjoyed it - half each for a snack  ph34r
Claire, Bella & Zorro - the two muppeteers!
Tellington TTouch Practitioner P1
www.tellingtontouch.org.uk

Offline Linz13

• Site Member
  • To understand a cocker, you need to be a cocker!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 03:07:04 PM »
It is a rarity for my OH to cook anything, but today I came home from work and he had done a variety of recipes for kongs for Alfie.  :D

So yes, the liitle blighters have an effect on us all, even miserable, lazy OH's.  :005:

I love him really.  :luv: :005: but yes I am cooking dinner tonight for us.  ::)

I had left some mince to defrost in fridge for a lasgne, came home and OH had it browned, and in dog bowls on window sill to cool, I asked what the h**l he'd done that for, oh I thought it might have been out of date??  MEN!  We ended up having super noodles on toast! 
Linz, Murphy & Maddi x

Offline teapot

• Site Member
  • ~Tia~
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 03:09:41 PM »
We always cook up extra vegetables so Tia can have some with her tea. We also bought a food processor (cheap one mind) so we could whizz up treats and kong stuffings  ::)  I do draw the line at liver though, OH has to prepare this cos it makes me gag   :-\

Marie & Tia x

Offline louis mum

• Donator
  • Little Lenny
    • Darvieux Cocker Spaniels
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008, 09:52:40 PM »

I had left some mince to defrost in fridge for a lasgne, came home and OH had it browned, and in dog bowls on window sill to cool, I asked what the h**l he'd done that for, oh I thought it might have been out of date??  MEN!  We ended up having super noodles on toast! 

:rofl1: :rofl1: Sounds like my house.  :005: Mind you my OH would rather give me the outta date stuff than Alfie.  :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2008, 10:12:53 PM »
Not cooking for them but some of the revolting things I find myself chopping up for them (they're on Barf). I think the worst was the first time I bought a rabbit home from the butcher last Autumn and was thinking "ooh great, all the innards as well, that'll make a couple of nice offal meals for them", and then found myself holding something the size of the end of my thumb and quite hard, and wondered what it was. Then I realised - it was the poor bunny's cold heart... :'( I used to have a couple of dwarf house rabbits years back and couldn't help thinking of them.

Still, the dogs enjoyed it - half each for a snack  ph34r

ph34r ph34r  I still can't quite beleive that I have taught myself to skin/gut rabbits for my two; and I find myself asking various random acquaintances whether they know anyone who shoots rabbits  :shades:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Coco

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008, 11:48:51 PM »
ph34r ph34r  I still can't quite beleive that I have taught myself to skin/gut rabbits for my two; and I find myself asking various random acquaintances whether they know anyone who shoots rabbits  :shades:

Millomite who has Amber on here has a new website with detailed instructions and pics on how to prepare a rabbit and yes, I found myself thinking - Ohh, I can do that for Wherry. Also, the amazing butchers my Mum has on her road have so amny offel products, I was looking at a pile of what I can only describe as 'innerds' and thinking the same thing.  ::) 

I must say I don't change recipies for her but I do make things specifically for her that I wouldn't go to the effort for myself. Her liver has often become OH's after he's moaned he never gets it just her. (That's alright though, cheap dinner  :lol2: 0
There are no bad dogs, just bad people
Vicky, Wherry and Gizzymo

Offline LizzieD

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 12:03:06 AM »
My OH is quite put out that in 22 yrs of marriage I have always refused to cook liver for tea, but recently have started to make livercake for Millie.  ph34r  ph34r
Children grow up and don't want cuddles, but dogs are puppies for life.

Offline flyingspaniel

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008, 01:37:20 PM »
I baked liver cake & pilchard cake on Sunday - the OH was banished to the garden and even I had to leave the house for some air!
I did suggest that I'd have to bake us a cake one day otherwise my dog will think the food processor belongs to her, not sure if I can do chocolate cake though..
Educated by Abby x