Author Topic: Cover-ups after Spaying  (Read 1107 times)

Offline woodlander

Cover-ups after Spaying
« on: August 29, 2008, 10:54:18 AM »

We have booked Sweep in to be spayed next week  :luv: and no doubt I shall be useless at work next Friday. ph34r

I have been reading about some of the experiences you guys have been having (complications and good stuff etc)  Assuming no complications I understand that we shall have to keep Sweepie quiet for a few days afterwards and also keep her away from her stitches as well.

A number of you have said that you have got t shirts for your girls to wear rather than the cone which is rather cumbersome (but effective).  Are these just kids/babies t shirts or special doggie ones? 

Sorry if this is a stupid question but think I may need to get a couple just in case

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
Re: Cover-ups after Spaying
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:23:03 AM »
Small kids - measure your girl's abdomen & rib cage and take a look at the measurements on the T shirts.

Others also swear by boys' underpants!

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2008, 11:32:14 AM »
I agree you can use kids t shirts ,but you can also get doggy ones and they have the sleeves placed slightly forward for a better fit on a dog  ;)

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2008, 11:36:03 AM »
We have used a baby vest (9-12 months), 2 x t-shirts both aged 2-3 and then pinned the t-shirt on the back with a peg. (All my son's cast-off clothes).   HOWEVER Indie has not taken to wearing the t-shirts and has ripped them off.   I only used the t-shirts because she hated the collar and gave in when she cried at me and was upset wearing it.   Since she went to the vets at the weekend, they put the collar back on her and as they aren't as soft as me  :005: she had to put up with it, she's had it on ever since as my shins can testify.

I've also got a doggy t-shirt from PAH but when I put that on Indie originally it didn't cover the scar as was shorter at the front and than the back. 

Hopefully Sweep will be one of the good ones who doesn't try and bite her scar and then you'll be fine, unfortunately I have one of the ones who will not leave it alone and tries to chew on it, she was even chewing on it through the t-shirt and has matted the remainder of her skirt  >:(  Indie is keeping her collar on until Monday when her stiches are coming out as I'm not risking another trip to the vets.   I'm getting stricter.   :005:

Small kids - measure your girl's abdomen & rib cage and take a look at the measurements on the T shirts.

Others also swear by boys' underpants!

Wouldn't recommend pants if she gets an upset stomach  :P

Offline Angels of Fur

• Alfie and Honey
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2008, 11:41:28 AM »
Honey will be booked in in October, and i was wondering about this too.
Although i bought honey as a Joke a Security guard t-shirt from P@H and i think it will do the trick! I dont have any kids so i would have to buy a t-shirt.
Hope everything goes ok  :luv:
My life is now complete.......cockers are my life

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 11:48:04 AM »
Honey will be booked in in October, and i was wondering about this too.
Although i bought honey as a Joke a Security guard t-shirt from P@H and i think it will do the trick! I dont have any kids so i would have to buy a t-shirt.
Hope everything goes ok  :luv:

I picked one of them up then got one half price in the boutique section for £2.99, got it on Saturday morning so if the OP wants a dog one they may still have some left.     :D
Small children's vests would do - pack of three for about £2.25 in Tesco.   :D

Offline PennyB

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2008, 01:12:03 PM »
I've never used anything (not even a collar --- my vet doesn't give you them either) and have had a few dogs spayed while I've been here (one my own and the others were fosters)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline bracken

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2008, 01:21:12 PM »
Rosie was spayed 2 days ago she has a little pink doggy t-shirt from Pets at Home  :luv: its was in the sale £2 I think  :blink:

Its been fab,she will not tolerate the buster collar and the t-shirt covers the incision area really well  :blink:
but I do have to watch her 24/7 even at night she is beside me so I can here her licking  :-\
I did buy some babygrows and cut off the poppers and little arm bit but the fit is really no good.
Rosie has been fine,but 2 days after she is wanting to jump around, and is full of beans.
I blocked the stairs and put the cushions up on the sofa but she is managing to jump up on odd occassions  >:D and when my other dogs go for a walk she goes potty  :-\
So glad I'm still on holiday as I'm shattered  :luv:

Jo

Offline KatieJean

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 01:25:31 PM »
We didn't use anything when Willow was spayed, we just put on sudocrem when they appeared to be itchy and it did the trick. Much easier than with the others who had collars but our vet doesnt believe in them.

Offline lopey99

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2008, 01:27:16 PM »
i just put one of my old t-shirts on cassie and tied the excess at the back with a hair scrunchie (theres a picture of her on puppies photos under 'look what they did to me'). I did notice tho she got two small matts from wearing the t-shirt.

she didnt bother too much with the t-shirt and i thought she looked very cute in it, keeping her calm was the real problem and i'm amazed that with the amount of jumping and diving off the sofa she didnt do any damage to herself and her wound has healed perfectly.

Offline Jeanette

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 02:47:13 PM »
Indie is keeping her collar on until Monday when her stiches are coming out as I'm not risking another trip to the vets.   I'm getting stricter.   :005:

I'm never ever using one of them head collars again, it came off on Friday night so I could groom her and her ears were matted to hell, with grass, twigs and food.   Its taken me two days and two tubes of squeezy cheese to try and get them out.    >:( >:(

Offline september

• Site Member
  • Summer is for ball throwing!
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2008, 02:57:57 PM »
Roxy has just been spayed and I didn't use anything.  She didn't bother with her stitches (well wound, she had internal stitches) much, she sniffed it a bit, I just told her no and she left it alone.  Its healed up really nicely.

Good luck keeping her quiet, It was impossible to keep Roxy calm! I restricted her walks and kept her on lead but she was manic in the house she had to stay downstairs as she kept jumping on the beds.  she still got up on the sofa though.  I gave up after about 3 days!