Author Topic: Reserving web space  (Read 824 times)

Offline michelle123

• Site Member
Reserving web space
« on: September 02, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »
Have to admit I am *very* clueless about this sort of thing.

We have found a web address which we want that is currently available.  Have asked my brother (who is that way minded) to reserve - he hasnt and works shifts and I struggle to get hold of him - I am now getting twitchy about the web address going. 

Is it just a case of paying to reserve it and then getting the web site constructed - my brother did mention to get a domain with free web space - this baffled me (a lot)  :huh:

Bit of help would be appreciated, thanks  :D

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Re: Reserving web space
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 09:39:39 AM »
It is confusing when you start isn't it? You need to look at your website address (the domain name) and the space where your site will be hosted (web space) as two different things. You can get them both together from the same company or you can get them separately. So you can buy your domain name first (to stop anyone else buying it) and you can then sort out the hosting of your site (the web space) later when it suits you. There are some free hosting sites although they can be quite limited in what they offer you and often you have to put up with adverts somewhere on your site so it might be better to pay for your web space (there are plenty of low cost deals out there)
Jane

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 10:00:58 AM »
Hi - as Jane says, you can buy domain names through lots of different companies - some will give you free space, others will do it cheaper, but then you have to pay for space for the website too.

I am a website designer, and will be happy to give you any advice you want - just PM me.

I tend to buy domain names from www.1and1.co.uk because they are cheapest Ive found, and you can then redirect the name to any other hosting company.

However their hosting is not too bad and starts from about £1.99 per month and for that you get up to 10 free .co.uk addresses, free software and also a free website designing package (up to 8 pages) - with a sort of wizard template thing, so you can build it yourself. Its great for beginners, but again, if you get stuck please dont be afraid to ask me for some help.

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline chickrockguitar

• Site Member
  • My Little Marlee Boy!
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2008, 10:29:27 PM »
Like stuffster I am also a website designer.
I get my domain names and webspace from www.ukreg.co.uk.

I would buy the domain name now, and sort out everything later. Then you know it's safe.