Author Topic: Neighbour giving treats - aarrrgh!!!  (Read 1724 times)

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
Neighbour giving treats - aarrrgh!!!
« on: November 24, 2008, 08:46:43 AM »
Help!!
My next door neighbour keeps giving my two treats, even though I sent a text and asked her to ask me first!!  she still continues to do it...........we have now reached the stage where as soon as Rio and Blue see her they are at the fence screaming for something nice.

Any ideas on what to do?  I would never give a dog treats without asking their owner first and I think this is really rude >:(  how can I stop this without causing any bad feeling??

Offline Joules

• Administrator
Re: Neighbour giving treats - aarrrgh!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 08:49:23 AM »
Agree - I would be really annoyed.  I put up with it occasionally when out but if a neighbour keeps doing it that is not on.  >:(  I would speak to her face to face and explain that they are on a special diet and you need to know what they are eating so they are not allowed treats.  ;)  Otherwise tell her that they are only allowed treats when training so getting them at other times is really upsetting their training.

Good luck  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 09:20:09 AM »
put a hedge in... sorry but if my neighbours gave my dogs food without my permission I'd be fuming.  You could tell her the treats have given them the runs if telling her not to feed them doesn't do the job.

Offline Roslyn McConnell

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:16:07 AM »
Tell her they have IBS and need a special diet and she is making them ill!!! It sounds a bit mean lying to her but it sounds like she is a wee bit jealous and wants some doggie attention too so will continue to do it and you dont want to fall out over it!!!

Offline Mrs K

• Molly Ma Loon
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:29:45 AM »
Ask her to give them carrot/something else that won't matter in terms of their weight?? Or give them less food on the days she has given them a 'treat'
We have the same problem with my parents neighbour except with the kids...she keeps giving them pancakes etc   >:D
I know that it is frustrating, but (and i know this is controversial) good neighbour relations are the most important thing  ph34r
The reason dogs have so many friends is because they wag their tails instead of their tongues.

Offline martcle

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 12:16:16 PM »
good fences make good neighbours  :shades:
xxxx Sade and Poppy xxxx

Offline stuffster

• Luna
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 12:28:01 PM »
good fences make good neighbours  :shades:

Hahaha! I love it! (But try telling my neighbour who complained about our new fence going up!  >:D )

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 12:34:56 PM »

I know that it is frustrating, but (and i know this is controversial) good neighbour relations are the most important thing  ph34r

The health and well-being of my dogs and children is far more important than good relations with my neighbours  ;)
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Freckle

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 12:37:53 PM »
Suggest that your dogs are getting upset stomachs and you cant work out why and that you are having to change their food to try and stop it. So just incase she wanted to give them treats in the future could she not as you are getting a mess - unless she wants to clear it up.  :005: :005: :005:

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 07:52:16 PM »
Comments noted and I'll be having words and fibbing my head off!! lets hope it stops and then I have to stop them both screaming at the fence for treats - a problem my neighbour has caused - thanks!! :005:

Offline cdpops

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »
I would leave all the smelly poohs near the divide for a while, she'll soon stop  :005:

Offline ladylola

• Donator
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2008, 08:48:00 PM »
Gawd it's so annoying. We had a builder near us who gave Sasha a pork pie  :o  She was suffering from colitis at the time and you can imagine what it did. I don't know why people don't ask first. I asked him not to give her pork pie so next time he threw her a steak one  ::)  We avoid him now where possible. He seems to think he has to save her half his dinner. Mind Sasha thinks he does too  >:(
Julie. Owned by Sasha, Ellie, Monty, Paisley, Louie & Molly
One just isn't enough.

Offline Hurtwood Dogs

• Donator
  • Little Lionheart
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2008, 09:26:02 PM »
This kind of thing really gets on my nerves - partly because I have a dog with a really bad food allergy but also because through someone not thinking or respecting someone else's wishes, it causes owners so much grief.

However, what you've got to remember is that your neighbour probably doesn't 'get it' or fully understand the consequences of what she's doing. If it was me I would lay it on thick, exaggerate and lie a lot in this instance as I don't think pussy footing around is going to do you much good. I would say that you are having real problems with their health - upset stomachs, messing in the house, you've had to take them to the vet, they've started stealing food, bin raiding etc Explain that you are aware your neighbour is giving them treats and it's affecting them both badly and causing you an awful lot of problems, so she has to stop.

If she still doesn't... let me have her phone number  :lol:

Good luck!

Hannah xxx

Hannah, Dave & Normy xx

Trev 2001-07 soul dog, always in my heart and dreams x

Offline Xensgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 08:48:54 AM »

If she still doesn't... let me have her phone number  :lol:

Good luck!

Hannah xxx

Thanks the the offer  :005: I might just take you up on that one Hannah!! the neighbour's daughter goes round everyday and its actually her who started this treat giving, her old mum of 83 has followed her example.  It was the daughter I texted to ask her to stop (or ask me first), so its a double whammy.......I'm on the case  ;) It was this daughter who interfered so much with Rio's litter, telephoning me and telling me what to do, coming round with pot hot water bottles and glucose (even though I had a heat lamp and back up heater) going into the pups with her shoes on and not washing her hands (even though I asked her not to and her ignoring me and marching in the whelping room anyway) she really tried to take over - after saying twice "please don't tell me how to raise these puppies" I ended up having a blazing row with her. She has only had one litter of Yorkies in the past and that was years ago.  When I lost little Rosie I received a text from her saying "she hoped I had learnt a lesson from it" - that truly upset me, I was heartbroken and traumatised from this pup dying anyway without her insinuating it was my fault. I have barely spoken to her since but she insists on still giving the dogs these bl***y treats....how annoying!! Update to follow, thanks everyone - Julie

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 09:04:41 AM »
When I lost little Rosie I received a text from her saying "she hoped I had learnt a lesson from it" - that truly upset me, I was heartbroken and traumatised from this pup dying anyway without her insinuating it was my fault.

What a cow - I cannot believe people are so insensitive and arrogant >:D  I wouldn't worry about being subtle with her after hearing this - sounds like she has the hide of a rhino!  >:(
Julie and Watson