Author Topic: How to remove a tick  (Read 54418 times)

Offline stuffster

• Luna
Re: How to remove a tick
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 08:05:30 AM »
Its so odd - I walk my dogs every day in the same woods and in the whole year I have had dogs, we have never had a tick. I have 2 friends nearby who do the same walk and are always complaining about the number of ticks on their dogs (1 cocker & 1 dachsund). I wonder why mine dont pick them up?

PURDEY AND LUNA <3

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 08:45:02 AM »
Its so odd - I walk my dogs every day in the same woods and in the whole year I have had dogs, we have never had a tick. I have 2 friends nearby who do the same walk and are always complaining about the number of ticks on their dogs (1 cocker & 1 dachsund). I wonder why mine dont pick them up?

Maybe you have been lucky or maybe it is the same as some people who don't get bitten by mozzies while others get eaten alive  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline LizH

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 09:54:46 AM »
I have never seen one , how will i know if i come accross one  ph34r . Im off to buy an o-tom now just incase !!

Me neither - are they easy to spot / find?
Liz and Pebble x

Offline bibathediva

• Site Member
  • SMILE
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2009, 12:04:50 PM »

When they full they are very easy to find  ph34r  :005: they are fat white and Lola's was about the size of a pea  ph34r
They will drop off of there own accord when they are full ...but that just means they are still alive and living in your house ready for the next meal  >:( blurry things

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 01:28:22 PM »
I have never seen one , how will i know if i come accross one  ph34r . Im off to buy an o-tom now just incase !!

I can usually feel them rather than see them.  It is always a good idea to check over your dog after a walk if you have ticks around you.  ;) Check your cats too - they usually seem to attach to head and ears as that is the bit they see first when a host animal brushes past  >:(
Julie and Watson

Offline LizH

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 02:47:34 PM »
Just out of interest - once the tick has been successfully removed should you do anything to the 'wound' - i.e. clean it, put on antiseptic, just leave it ...?

Liz and Pebble x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 02:51:54 PM »
Just out of interest - once the tick has been successfully removed should you do anything to the 'wound' - i.e. clean it, put on antiseptic, just leave it ...?

Good question - I usually put a dab of Tea Tree oil on it but any antiseptic will do.  You will often get a small lump at the site of the tick bite even though you have removed the whole thing but it should disappear within a couple of days.  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline LizH

« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2009, 02:54:33 PM »
Great thanks for that - my O'tom is in the post so will shortly be fully armed in the tick war!  >:D

Then the only problem will be getting Pebble to stay still long enough for me to twist it out!
Liz and Pebble x

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2009, 03:25:14 PM »

Maybe you have been lucky or maybe it is the same as some people who don't get bitten by mozzies while others get eaten alive  :-\
we are in sheep/fox/badger country and none of mine have ever had one, i have thought maybe its because they dip the sheep around here but who knows,   my sister lives in coventry and her jack russel gets them all of the time i dont know how she gets them out but he squeals apparently,  so im going to make her watch this when shes here in a few weeks hopefully she will buy one of these  ;)
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline cbaker023

• Site Member
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2009, 04:13:07 PM »
After doing Duke of Edinburgh award and going camping when i was 16 i had 2 or 3 on my arm, they are sooooo disgusting, at the time didnt know about the o tom etc so had a bath in the attempt that it loosened off and then my mum ( much braver than i was) got them between her fingers and twisted it out a bit like the o tom did, i was squealing like such a girl at the time.

will make sure i look out for any on marty though
x

Offline LizH

« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2009, 01:47:47 PM »

OK so yesterday evening I found one on Pebble's ear  >:( so now I know what they look like  >:D

My o'tom only arrived this morning but I got a comb (as advised in another thread) didn't really have to twist it though as is was pretty full  - had a good look at it wiggling then bashed it so it couldn't come back for more  >:(  >:(

Pebble seemed completely oblivious  :shades:
Liz and Pebble x

Offline Jessie_Pup

• Donator
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2009, 04:42:14 PM »

The advise from my vet to remove a tick, Dylan has had a couple, was to open a frontline and put it on the tick it will kill it and it just drops off. He doesn't like the tick removers because if you don't get the legs out, it can set up an infection.

Offline Maria n Dennis

• Donator
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 05:44:46 PM »
My o tom arrived this morning just incase we come across any  :D

Just one more question , if we Frontline are pets on a regular basis , will this not kill them anyway??

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 05:46:06 PM »

The advise from my vet to remove a tick, Dylan has had a couple, was to open a frontline and put it on the tick it will kill it and it just drops off. He doesn't like the tick removers because if you don't get the legs out, it can set up an infection.

I think that's rubbish advice - I get out an average of 3 ticks a day at the moment with an o-tom and have NEVER left the head or legs behind with it - it is virtually impossible because you get in under the head and twist the tick and it physically cannot stay attached.

Along with flooding your dog with unecessary chemicals (which if you research them can cause untold long term health issues) that is a very expensive way of killing a tick  ph34r

helen & jarvis x

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 05:47:22 PM »
My o tom arrived this morning just incase we come across any  :D

Just one more question , if we Frontline are pets on a regular basis , will this not kill them anyway??

Frontline kills the ticks once they attach (Within a 24 hour time frame) - you usually find them before they die and or some stay attached when dead anyway so still need to be removed.
helen & jarvis x