Author Topic: Is Docking Legal?  (Read 929 times)

Offline xxxrei

• Site Member
Is Docking Legal?
« on: October 24, 2004, 07:16:57 PM »
Ok so we were out walking today in Banstead Woods (lovely place recommend for the next COL Meet) with Dylan And Wilf, anybody at the Surrey meet would remember them.We met lots of nice friendly people and their dogs, when we met a woman with three dogs(not cockers) who launched into us without a bye your leave attacking us for having the tails on our boys docked :o  :o . The arguement got a little heated and Jill wandered off saying that she wasn't worth talking to and that we only came up for a nice day out. However not one to back down I stood there for about ten minutes arguing back over the legality of this issue, her saying it wasn't legal, me saying it was legal for vets to dock. Help me out here please is it legal for Cocker Spaniels to have their tails docked or not? If so where can I find the information on the net to print out so I can just hand it over to her next time and save myself from getting wound up.

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Is Docking Legal?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 07:26:29 PM »
As it stands at the moment, it is legal for vets to carry out docking.

Have a look here for more details. That should give you all the info you need
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Is Docking Legal?
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 07:26:49 PM »
Alan, you are right. Docking is still legal in England as long as its done by a vet and i think it has to be done within 72 hrs.

I know in Scotland there are plans afoot to outlaw docking.

Im sure someone will be along soon with a link to point you in the right direction for printable proof.

How are the boys? Wilf managing to keep up with Dylan yet?

As for another Surrey met, I know Sue is up for one this side of christmas as am I, so if you want to start a thread?????????? :)
Caroline and Alfie

Offline xxxrei

• Site Member
Is Docking Legal?
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 07:53:06 PM »
Thanks Caroline, Wilf cannot keep up with Dylan yet; although he is giving  it a good go.They are just starting to interact when we are out and about and it is great fun to watch.I just wish they would keep the interacting for walks only as it is an absolute madhouse indoors!
I would love to meet up before Christmas, a nice frosty walk would be good, I am looking forward to nice hard ground and no MUD. Bansted woods Is lovely.really unspoilt , a fairly large carpark but no cafe .Most sundays are fine for us if anyone else is interested?

Jill

Offline suzysu

• Site Member
Is Docking Legal?
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 08:26:47 PM »
[size=8]"Most sundays are fine for us if anyone else is interested?"[/size]

I am - Georgie.............            Me too - Daisy

(Oh and mum wants to come too!) xxx
Sue, Georgie n Daisy x
   "I luv my girls"