Author Topic: Cockers Doing Agility  (Read 1590 times)

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
    • http://
Cockers Doing Agility
« on: March 15, 2005, 08:32:15 PM »
hi
i started agility in September with my cocker sweep
and he is fine at training and will hopefully compete later on in the year
Are there any people who do agility with there cockers?
And how are they at it, do they have any special requirements or hints with agility?
Sweep loves the A-frame and collapsible tunnel, and is really good though sometimes he finds a good scent usually ending up in horse manure ( we train in a horseriding arena) and that is quite frustrating, i would love to hear from anyone who does agility
thanks
kate n sweep javascript:emoticon(':)')

The more i meet people, the more i like my dog.

Offline Annette

• Site Member
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 08:49:19 PM »
I am hoping that eventually Ben and Buddy will get an interest in agility or flyball. Ben does little sport at the moment, and it's something I think he will enjoy with his dog.

Do you know whether clubs allow 8yr old boys to do it? Buddy is only a baby still, I'm assuming he would have to be over 1yr old (maybe older?).

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 08:57:52 PM »
I am hoping that eventually Ben and Buddy will get an interest in agility or flyball. Ben does little sport at the moment, and it's something I think he will enjoy with his dog.

Do you know whether clubs allow 8yr old boys to do it? Buddy is only a baby still, I'm assuming he would have to be over 1yr old (maybe older?).
[snapback]106824[/snapback]

hi
yes i believe at least some would, as dogs can still be doing agility at 12 years old, and i met some owners who were about to move into the beginners class at our club, who had 2 cockers 7 and 8, and you can begin training with jumps at 1 year old and start training at a club, however ( unlike me) it is ideal to begin training the obedience linked to agility and minor obstacles before then.
Such as a pole on the ground or a ladder or plank of wood ( for contact obstacles), if you have access to a pipe tunnel or can create your own tunnel kind of thing,  then that can be taught early as well. If you get hold of a book on agility, which tells you early lessons, there are some good books on agility by Ruth Hobday , starting with basic puppy training, going onto more advanced beginners exercises.
Hope you and your dogs have fun with agility
sure they'll love it
kate n sweep

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 10:19:13 PM »
Hi Kate

I've just started basic agility training with Oscar (labrador) too. He's only 9 months so instead of a jump we go over a pole on the ground, the see-saw plank is laid on the ground etc. He can do the tunnels and the weave (poles very wide apart). Basically nothing too taxing on the joints until he's older as you've already said. We train in a horse arena at the moment too and the scent thing is a big problem with Oscar! I tend to take really smelly treats to try and keep his attention on me. Although he has a fetish for hedgehog poo at the moment so maybe I should try carrying a bag of that around with me instead :lol:  :ph34r:

Years ago when I still had my black cocker Sasha I would have loved to have tried her at agility. I know she would have been very good at it and enjoyed it. I think it depends mostly on the dogs personality rather than the breed. I know of lots of smaller dogs (other than the normal Border Collies) that take part in agility around the country and quite a few larger ones. In our club doing agility at the moment we have lots of different breeds - labradors, shelties, collies, setters, jack russels, Belgian shepherds and others.
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline PennyB

Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 10:27:24 PM »
Rosie on here does agility with her cocker for Caerphilly DAC.

I want to do agility with Wilf but there's very little in South Wales really as any classes get booked up very quickly and I get stuck without transport (I can get there if its during the day as its a lovely walk there and I've no problem with that but its not safe at night)
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 06:00:55 PM »
Hi Kate

I've just started basic agility training with Oscar (labrador) too. He's only 9 months so instead of a jump we go over a pole on the ground, the see-saw plank is laid on the ground etc. He can do the tunnels and the weave (poles very wide apart). Basically nothing too taxing on the joints until he's older as you've already said. We train in a horse arena at the moment too and the scent thing is a big problem with Oscar! I tend to take really smelly treats to try and keep his attention on me. Although he has a fetish for hedgehog poo at the moment so maybe I should try carrying a bag of that around with me instead :lol:  :ph34r:

Years ago when I still had my black cocker Sasha I would have loved to have tried her at agility. I know she would have been very good at it and enjoyed it. I think it depends mostly on the dogs personality rather than the breed. I know of lots of smaller dogs (other than the normal Border Collies) that take part in agility around the country and quite a few larger ones. In our club doing agility at the moment we have lots of different breeds - labradors, shelties, collies, setters, jack russels, Belgian shepherds and others.
[snapback]106876[/snapback]

Hi the scenting thing is quite annoying isn't it?
I think if I get Sweep more motivated and be more firmer it might get results
unless i get a good cure - ill tell you if i do  
I wish i had started the basic agility training earlier with Sweep as it might have been easier, although then i didn't no much about it, You and your labrador will be probably very successful, although it is for fun as well, and Sweep loves it so we are doing ok.
Yes i think the personality of the dog matters more than the breed, and although collies appear to dominate it, other breeds are equally as good
thanks for your msg
kate n sweep

Offline crazyspaniels

• Site Member
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2005, 06:29:05 PM »
Me and my working cocker are just off to agility, and if I keep my foster show cocker he will be doing it too. Trouble is my working cocker is tall so has to compete against the collies so he will never win anything but he loves it :D

Freya and Cockers Bilbo and Dobbie, not forgetting the Springers Willow and Paddy

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2005, 06:36:14 PM »
Children can be as young as 6yrs old doing agility (most of the youngsters are better than the oldies). As for distractions, get some frankfurters as they can smell them a mile off  :D . I also do a bit of agility with my cockers but I tend to concentrate on Sammy. Have you had a look at the site www.agilitynet.co.uk?
Cayley.

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2005, 07:22:39 PM »
Have you had a look at the site www.agilitynet.co.uk

Great site! Been there before :D

Thanks for the frankfurter tip :D
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 08:54:19 PM »
Have you had a look at the site www.agilitynet.co.uk

Great site! Been there before :D

Thanks for the frankfurter tip :D
[snapback]107136[/snapback]

Theres an article about how I did at my first show on there, I'm famous (not  :lol: ).

Memory loss, I was meant to say frankfurters can get quite sticky and can be cut up quite small.
Cayley.

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 06:03:29 PM »
Agilitynet is the best site on agility u can find rely isn't it?
Cayley ill check out your first show on there
im quite pleased with sweep at the moment, as last nite at training he actualy did the proper weaves for the first time, properly without cutting in, wich we ave been wrkin on 4 months, ne otha ppl ave special memories?
thnx
kate n sweep

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 06:05:03 PM »
Me and my working cocker are just off to agility, and if I keep my foster show cocker he will be doing it too. Trouble is my working cocker is tall so has to compete against the collies so he will never win anything but he loves it :D
[snapback]107097[/snapback]

awww is  he a midi?
i think sweep is a midi which is quite annoying
o well its jst 4 fun
kate n sweep

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 06:18:48 PM »
As of 1st January 2006 I think shows have to provide for all new height categories i.e. small, medium and large :D , I could be wrong though  :huh: . Lottie will now be making a come back, hopefully  :D . To find my article, click the fetch link at the top left of the main page and then type my first name,  then click 'your agility debuts'.
Cayley.

Offline Becky

• Site Member
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 09:59:59 PM »
I want to do agility with my 10 month old Ollie.  My local kennels are starting courses, so I think I'll give them a ring and try to book him in for when he's one, especially now I know I can get tips on here.  OH even said he might come along with Danny, who's 4 and a 1/2. :D
Love Becky, Danny and Ollie!

Offline Dessie

• Site Member
  • Marvin, Oliver & Douglas
    • Derrindee Spaniels
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2005, 10:15:43 PM »
I've been doing agility with Sebastian from when he was 1.  We just do it for fun really we don't take it too seriously.  He loves the collapsabile tunnel and the A Frame.  I think he thinks he's a GSD when he goes up the A Frame  :D   At the age of 7 he is finally listening to me and doesn't run off when he sees a nice girlie cocker.
Dessie, Douglas, Marvin & Oliver (ESS)(The Guernsey Crew) :D :D

Derrindee Spaniels
Guernsey, Channel Islands