Author Topic: Cockers Doing Agility  (Read 1589 times)

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 09:40:44 AM »
All 3 of my cockers do agility although Dyls wont start competing till end July.

I discovered it with Els at 10 months and Charlie was nearly 2 before he started - really age isn't important.

There are some things you can do before training such as really working on  stay and recal (invaluable on a course where the start is very tricky!) and also teach left and right.  I did this by using a toy and getting them to chase and spin round in each direction - repeating the direction comand each time.  I also give them direction commands when out walking on the lead so they get used to hearing it and turning.  Ellie will now turn when running ahead if I call - but it has taken a while :D

My only problem is the burger van at competitions! ;)  Many times I have been running the course to turn and see Charlie having done a 180 and hovering around the van hopefully!!!

But we do have a fantastic time both dogs and us and as long as you can laugh at yourself it is great fun :lol:

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline xxkatensweepxx

• Site Member
    • http://
Cockers Doing Agility
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2005, 11:05:59 PM »
All 3 of my cockers do agility although Dyls wont start competing till end July.

I discovered it with Els at 10 months and Charlie was nearly 2 before he started - really age isn't important.

There are some things you can do before training such as really working on  stay and recal (invaluable on a course where the start is very tricky!) and also teach left and right.  I did this by using a toy and getting them to chase and spin round in each direction - repeating the direction comand each time.  I also give them direction commands when out walking on the lead so they get used to hearing it and turning.  Ellie will now turn when running ahead if I call - but it has taken a while :D

My only problem is the burger van at competitions! ;)  Many times I have been running the course to turn and see Charlie having done a 180 and hovering around the van hopefully!!!

But we do have a fantastic time both dogs and us and as long as you can laugh at yourself it is great fun :lol:
[snapback]107797[/snapback]

Hi
thanks 4 ure hints, iv only got the 1 n he started in september
hes ok on his left and rights, its his recall which really needs working  on
Sweep also seems 2 fink hes a larger breed on the a-frame, n often goes up n down it voluntarily without being told - typical
have fun with your 3
kate n sweep

The more i meet people, the more i like my dog.