Author Topic: Obedience Classes at Companion Shows  (Read 946 times)

Offline Oliver21508

Obedience Classes at Companion Shows
« on: March 25, 2009, 06:39:32 PM »
Hiya

I'm hoping to enter a Starters class at a Companion show. I guess it's very relaxed, as it's for anyone who has not won anything in an obedience class. We have to do Heel on lead, recall, 30 sec sit stay and 30 sec down stay. I'm thinking of using a slip lead as it'll be easier to put on after recall and he responds well to one. (I use it nicely  :D) Would this be allowed, or is it a simple collar and lead? Is there anything I need to know about obedience competitions?

Offline SkyeSue

• Inactive
Re: Obedience Classes at Companion Shows
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 06:43:44 PM »
No advice Laura, but just wanted to wish you and Ollie the best of luck  ;) Chloe would have no chance...she gets her sits and downs mixed up  >:( :lol2:
Didn't realise you had won an obedience class...must have missed that...congratulations  ;)

Sue and Chloe, happy girls on the Isle of Skye

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 07:15:13 PM »
Thanks. Sorry, meant people who hadn't won an obedience class. :005:

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 09:15:17 PM »
Slip lead wouldn't normally be acceptable (although companion shows may be a bit more leiniant, especially if they are not KC licensed).  Best thing is to use a flat collar and a normal clip-on lead...then you will have no problems.

Um...other things to know...no food or toys in the ring (although some special classes at companion shows may waiver this rule); listen carefully to the stewards commands; normally you will have a time for group stays...make sure you dont miss them  ;) ; and try to relax!

Hope you enjoy and Good Luck  :blink:

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 10:10:14 PM »
Thanks. That's a bummer that treats aren't allowed in the ring. Is it ok if my hands smell of treats? (smother my hands in sausages :005:) Oh well, it'll be fun for the crowd and for Ollie to have day out. I'll just use a normal collar and lead. Will have to go out a buy a normal lead, I have horse lead ropes at the mo. :005:

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 10:21:35 PM »
Is it ok if my hands smell of treats? (smother my hands in sausages :005:)

Ummm...think that would be classed as 'cheating'  :embarassed: .  You can put a treat pot (with a closed lid on) on the table by the ring and when you have completed the round and thanked the judge and steward take the pot well away from the rings and give him his reward  :blink:

I have horse lead ropes at the mo. :005:

:005: ;)

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 07:06:07 PM »
Ok thanks. Do you think they'll allow you to say commands all the time, like heel every few strides, or is it just one heel command at the beginning and nothing else? Will they tell me what I can and can't do? I'm terrified of being disqualified.

Offline sportsmonki

• Site Member
  • Storm
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 09:13:50 AM »
Don't worry...if it is the baby class the steward should explain each exercise to you.  It's only once you get up to class A that you can't give any extra commands/body signals to your dog.  I'd image in the class you are thinking of entering you will be allowed (or even encouraged) to talk to your dog as much as you like  :blink: .  I'd advise you to take full advantage of this and help your dog as much as you can...as long as you dont touch your dog or use the lead to correct him whilst you are working you should be OK, but either of those would just lose marks, not lead to disqualification (unless excessive force is used)  ;) .

Hope you both enjoy  :D

Offline Oliver21508

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 01:59:34 PM »
Thanks. That sounds good. I can't wait. I did a run through of the exercises today in the park, and he was fab. :D But I don't care where we place, just that we have some fun. :D