Author Topic: Advice please...anything I can do to help?  (Read 771 times)

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
Advice please...anything I can do to help?
« on: July 07, 2009, 11:10:32 AM »
I took Milly along to a flyball class last week, just to check it out & gauge her response to the noise etc.
I'm pleased to say that she did very well with her little bit that she did (Me calling her from start end, over the jumps then throwing the ball as she approached the line for her to retrieve).
As I suspected, she was in her element! ( & I think I may be hooked  :shades:) Can't wait to go back this week!
Just wondered if there's anything I can be doing at home to help her with this new activity?
As a lay person to flyball, any advice will be greatly received.

Many thanks

Jo & Milly xx

PS She's such a ball freak - as I've been typing this I'm getting a ball thrust on my lap, and an impatient little bark until I throw it for her!  :005:

Offline supergirl

• Wonderful Indie
Re: Advice please...anything I can do to help?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009, 11:34:55 AM »
I've just start flyball with Misha (had our third class on Sunday), and have just started with the box that throws up the tennis ball.  I have been practising her "catch" over previous weeks and this really paid off on Sunday and her catch rate was much better than I'd hoped.  Just thowing the ball lightly into the air for her to catch and rewarding her for each catch.  Also teaching her to "touch" with two paws onto a specific spot, bit of carpet or something could help, and I wish that I'd practised this as well.

Being new to this as well I didn't realise that the different "clubs" have a different type of box that throws up the balls, the ones that I'd seen before were an almost vertical pad with holes for two tennis balls, and another type which we have at our class, which has a flat plate which when triggered throws a ball over the top.  Think one is KC and the other is UK Flyball.

It is quite good fun - initially I didn't think Misha liked it after her 1st class as she was quite reserved, but now she has settled into it quite nicely and had a great time on Sunday.
Misha, Ellie, Roly, Lexi (& Karen)

People who have dogs live longer - it's all the extra love

Offline mum2milly

• Inactive
  • Jumbi Speed Queen, "Milly" xx
Re: Advice please...anything I can do to help?
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009, 12:05:08 PM »
Thanks for that supergirl.
The class I went to had different types of box too. I asumed that the one where the ball just sits in the hole was for the more novice dogs  ph34r  shows what I know! Thanks for putting me straight on that.
Will have a go at practicing the elements you've mentioned.
Thanks once again.

Jo & Milly xx