Author Topic: Obedience demonstration  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Sarah1985

Obedience demonstration
« on: March 20, 2010, 07:31:01 PM »
One of my close friends is a dog trainer and run obedience classes, shes been asked to put on a demonstation at a country fair.  She asked me to help her and to show off some things that my two cockers can do. She asked me what tricks id like to demostrate does anyone have any tips on the things that are "crowd pleasers".

We're planning to do basic obedience together with our youngstas and then shes got some assistance dog things to show and her other dog is deaf so she wants to demonstrate how you'd adapt our training to meet the dogs limitations.

She asked me to do something Dexters comfortable with rather than her specify what I do. I was thinking Id do a off lead send away, retevial, distance recall and stop followed by distance postion ques (sit down, stand down, sit stand). Firstly does this sound like something you'd like to watch? I was thinking hes good at the gun dog work, plus high speed (hopefully controlled) activities will look quite impressive.

Secondly am i mad to risk off lead exercises? Im risking things going very wrong. Ive got no reason to think he would misbehave as hes always been very responsive off lead. As soon as he see a clicker in my hand he knows he expected to work. And if anything hes worse behaved on a lead as he pulls when he gets excited  :005:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
Re: Obedience demonstration
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 08:38:38 PM »
do what you feel your dog is capable of, I think the activities you describe would look impressive to most folks

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 08:48:54 PM »
do what you feel your dog is capable of, I think the activities you describe would look impressive to most folks

He's capable but as hes not done an outside demo before and not with this number of people. In fact his previous experience has been for obedeince classes. I guess Im never going to know for sure am i. He's never let me down before but the first time he does is bound to be in front of loads of people  :005:

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 09:26:48 PM »
have something simple you can fall back on if you think the environment might get the better of him, warm him up in the place you are going to be working if you can. :D

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline mattys mum

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010, 06:16:48 AM »
You didnt say when you are doing this activity so you might have already done it by now - if so how did it go?

If not, maybe you could try going to a public place (busy park/car boot?) to practice your demos you are thinking of doing to see how your dog handles this

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2010, 06:25:03 AM »
You didnt say when you are doing this activity so you might have already done it by now - if so how did it go?

If not, maybe you could try going to a public place (busy park/car boot?) to practice your demos you are thinking of doing to see how your dog handles this

I was about to write the same thing  :lol2:. If you have done it I hope it went well.

Millie

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2010, 07:29:01 AM »
Its not till June.

As my friends looking to start a rally obedeince club soon we're prob going to focus on demonstrating that. it'll be great publicity for the sport. We'll still be doing a little tricks show at the beginning to show off the things i mentioned above But if it goes wrong its not as much of a problem because its not the main focus of the demo  :005:

Im doing a second demo at the end of June (dogs unleashed) as well (assuming Dexter behaves for the first one). This is a much bigger show but it'll be basic obedience and theres a few of us demonstrating.

Anyone else going to/doing anthing for Dogs unleashed in Bakewell?

Offline pipkoi

• Donator
  • Butch-my First Cocker Spaniel 18.02.67 - 28.06.75
    • Dylan's Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2010, 10:46:02 AM »
Not been to one before but have put it in our diary. Looks really interesting. Hopefully see you there
Pip, Dylan, Charlie, Teagan & Kai
Remembering Butch, Brin, Simba, Toby, Jasper, Jarvis, Jake,  Bayley, Sailor & Foxy - my forever bridge babies

"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 11:46:27 PM »
Good luck sarah! Hopefully see you and dexter on sunday! What time are you on?

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2010, 06:15:23 AM »
Good luck sarah! Hopefully see you and dexter on sunday! What time are you on?

Saturday. Lol.

As Im helping out all day saturday I may come for a vist on Sunday. What time are you on Ill see if I can come and watch? Or what team? I know someone whose running the flyball events so I can cheak with her.

Offline Harveypops

• Donator
  • owned by Harvey and my honery cocker Flea
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2010, 11:05:37 PM »
How did it go?

I think we're on at half ten! We're the wilmslow beginners team!

Offline Sarah1985

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 06:36:57 AM »
The obedeince stuf was abit too early and there werent many people there. But it went well

I did end up demonstrating the agility course later on which was a bit hit and got lots of novices to have a go. Dexters never done agility and I really encouraged people to have a go when they saw that he was being lured with treats and lots of praise. We wanted the complete beginners to have a go and be intimidated by those dogs that knew exactly what they were doing

He behaved so so well. Was off lead for all his demos and focused on me the whole time.

Theres loads to do you'll have a brillient day. If it gets too hot check out the splash and grab.  :005: