Author Topic: Cocker rescue sites??  (Read 9280 times)

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2004, 01:15:41 PM »
Quote....     Did i say they wern't a good idea!

Gilly thats a bit rude!!    :?   I wasn't saying saying that you didn't think it was a good idea. I was merley telling you of my experiences with a rescue site.... I too have rescued dogs from pounds. In fact a lot of folk in my family have. ... ...I thought this was a friendly discussion!!   Sorry if i got that wrong.  :?

Barb                    
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2004, 01:35:39 PM »
It wasn't my intention to be rude to you Barb, so sorry if you took it that way, I must have misread your post as you directed it at me.
This is a friendly discussion and a friendly site for that matter  :wink: so non of my posts are meant to offend anyone  :shock: just my personal opinion  :wink:

Gilly                    

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2004, 02:36:24 PM »

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2004, 04:46:27 PM »
I don't think anyone was saying that rescue sites are not a good idea but at the same time, the rescue site Indiesnan is talking about has been set up by an independent rescue society for a breed in which there is a massive rescue problem. In Cockers, there are no independent rescue societies - the only breed-specific scheme is run by the Cocker Spaniel Club & contact information for this scheme appears on the Club's website & is available on other sites too, such as Dogpages. Very often as soon as a Cocker comes up for rehoming via Cocker Rescue, the various Cocker Reps already have suitable homes lined up who may have been waiting for some time so there would be little point in advertising these dogs on the Club website. As I said above, there will eventually be more info on the scheme on the Club site but there will be no separate site set up for Cocker Rescue.                    
Jane

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2004, 11:16:53 PM »

Offline Hel

• Site Member
Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2004, 10:00:12 PM »
I, like Mike, am in favour of a cocker rescue website.  Most cockers don't get rehomed via Cocker Rescue because most cocker owners don't know it exists.  

Please remember that many cockers are not bought from reputable breeders, but still need somewhere to go if their original owners can't keep them.  A rescue website may be a place that some owners, trying to rehome their older cocker, 6 yo +, for example, can go; and rescues with cockers would be able to post.  Younger cockers tend to sold via ads in papers and on the internet, but older cockers tend to be forgetten.

For anyone is concerned about the cost, I'm perfectly happy to fund, build and maintain such a site.  All it needs is support from humans -  without support it dies.

Helen                    

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2004, 10:33:42 PM »
:D Thank you Hel, thats what I was trying to get across :?  You put it in better words than me :?  :D

Hel, you have my full support!  If there is anything I can do to help, I would be very happy to assist :)  Cocker rescue do a fab job as everyone has said, but again its getting to the percentage that don't get to cocker rescue, hope that makes sence :)                    

Offline PennyB

Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2004, 10:05:00 PM »
I'm also in favour of a cocker rescue website as its a good way of communicating between cocker rescue reps and general rescues who have also taken cockers in. The present system works but could be better.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline PennyB

Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2004, 11:27:53 PM »
I, like Mike, am in favour of a cocker rescue website.  Most cockers don't get rehomed via Cocker Rescue because most cocker owners don't know it exists.  

Please remember that many cockers are not bought from reputable breeders, but still need somewhere to go if their original owners can't keep them.  A rescue website may be a place that some owners, trying to rehome their older cocker, 6 yo +, for example, can go; and rescues with cockers would be able to post.  Younger cockers tend to sold via ads in papers and on the internet, but older cockers tend to be forgetten.

And then there are the ex breeding bitches dumped by the puppy farms into pounds, especially those in Wales.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2004, 12:25:01 AM »

Offline Luvlylady

• Site Member
Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2004, 12:56:15 AM »

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2004, 09:50:57 AM »
Just thinking about it if anyone needs to rehome a cocker then ive seen the police(i think) advertising for sniffer dogs(cockers/springers)  over a year old any kind but  lively ones  better, for the airport it said there always in need of them . think it was the police i may be wrong ill keep my eyes peeled,for another advert im sure they must take really good care of them and the training them must keep them mentaly stimulated .

The police do use Working Cockers for sniffer dogs but not the usual show/pet type Cockers as far as I know.                    
Jane

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Cocker rescue sites??
« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2004, 03:50:55 PM »
The police do use Working Cockers for sniffer dogs but not the usual show/pet type Cockers as far as I know.

Yes they do usually use working ones but I do know of one pet/show type one that's used in Bedfordshire.  He was going to be destroyed due to supposed rage syndrome but someone in the police force felt they could do something with him and as far as I know he's still with them.  

Thankfully in this case the rage was misdiagnosed and he was saved.

It's very unusual I know but that's why it sticks in my mind.                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx