Author Topic: Struggling grooming puppy's feet  (Read 2298 times)

Offline silke

• Site Member
Struggling grooming puppy's feet
« on: September 18, 2023, 06:10:02 PM »
I have a nearly 5 month old pup, Alfie, and the fur between his pads is really long. When he goes to puppy classes, he slips on the floor.  :lol2:  The problem is that I am unable to trim them. I tried to clicker train him to get used to the scissors touching him (he is fine with that) and I tried other things, like sticking a Licki mat on the door or having OH hold food etc. Alfie just hates me picking up his feet and/or trimming them. He is so wriggly that I am scared in case I cut him. Likewise, I don't won't OH holding him and his leg very tight, because he moves around and cut get hurt that way (I fear.). Does anyone have any tips? Many thanks, Silke

Offline bizzylizzy

• Donator
  • 🙂 Jayne
Re: Struggling grooming puppy's fee
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2023, 09:42:19 PM »
I always do Humphrey’s paws towards the end of his grooming session as he‘s a lot calmer and  maybe even snoozing by then.  :005:. Its a bit unconventional, granted  :lol:, but its a routine that just established itself during the puppy stage and so its the way I‘ve always done it since.
I do it at a time when he’s reasonably tired, fed and not needing to go outside. He always gets a couple of little treats when he’s on the table and then I start by brushing his ears and chest as that always seems to calm him down and he often just lies down.  By the time I‘ve finished brushing him, he‘s usually half asleep and lying on his side and thats when I do the paws. , I start with the back ones as they’re not quite so sensitive and do the front paws last of all. 
Try to avoid it leading to a battle of wills, if he‘s really getting upset, leave it for another day.
If you can make it part of a positive routine  where he knows and accepts whats coming, he‘ll hopefully start to become a bit more cooperative.  :luv:

Offline vixen

• Stevie and Marley
Re: Struggling grooming puppy's feet
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2023, 01:53:27 PM »
I have this problem although my two are no longer puppies.
Bizzylizzy has given you lots of good advice.
My dogs are working cockers so don’t have the heavy coat of a show type but they still get very hairy round their feet.  I just wanted to trim the sprouting hair and neaten them up a bit.
For me, I stopped using scissors.  My hands are not steady, I am not confident and my dogs are wriggly - not a good combination when using scissors  :005:
A groomer told me to use clippers and I found this works well for me and my two.  The clippers have a guard on so less likely to snip the skin.  They are quick too.  As I use them just for doing their feet I bought a cheap cordless pair from Amazon that had a set of guards for under £15.  They are quiet and quick and avoid me doing any damage with the scissors.
Obviously they are never gonna be as good as an expensive pair of clippers, but for what I want them for, they work perfectly. 
Max (GSP)  always in my heart

Offline silke

• Site Member
Re: Struggling grooming puppy's feet
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2023, 04:37:42 PM »
Thank you so much for your replies, some really good ideas! I hadn't thought of using clippers on the paws, I might try that. In the meantime, I will also persist with trying to get Alfie used to the scissors. Right now, though, it would be too dangerous to attempt it properly! He wriggles like crazy!   :005: