Author Topic: Water at night  (Read 2649 times)

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
Water at night
« on: November 29, 2015, 11:32:32 PM »
Over the last couple of months Ben has found it harder to go all through the night without needing a wee. We have started going to bed an hour later at around 11.30 to 11.45 so his last wee is later, and OH gets up at 7am but there have still been a couple of occasions where he has not lasted all night. OH has started to take Bens water away at night, his routine has always been he has a big drink when he first goes up to bed, then both dogs get a couple of biscuits and once lights go out Ben always gets out of his bed for a second drink.

OH says he will be fine with just the first drink, and he dosnt need the second, I can hear him pottering round looking for his water and it upsets me  ph34r
It doesn't affect Harry if the water is down or not he doesn't drink after about 10ish anyway.

I just wondered what you think, will he be ok with just the one drink? I am so used to him having access to water whenever he wants, I find it difficult, but accept not lasting all night is a problem.

Do your oldies have acces to a drink at night? Do they have any problems with needing to go out
Thanks  :luv:

Offline twiceover2

• Donator
Re: Water at night
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 06:46:14 AM »
I'm with you and wouldn't be happy about withholding the water.  Our 11-year-old has kidney problems, so it's a bit different but we make sure he has access to water all the time, even though we generally have to get up about 4/5 to let him out for a wee.  I would rather that than stop him drinking if he needs to or get up to an accident.  Luckily, I am a light sleeper and as soon as he moves, I get up and take him out.  It's a bit like having a puppy again really  :-\ 

Could you perhaps go back to your usual bedtime and just set an alarm to get up and take him out before his usual accident time? 

Offline Emilyoliver

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 12:05:02 PM »
Hi, my 11yo has access to water at night.  I wouldn't withhold it either.  He lasts all night, but if he needed to go out, I'd just get up and let him out (although he does ask - not sure whether Ben does?).  If he doesn't then I'd agree with twiceover that setting an alarm might be the answer.  It's just to be expected with our 'seniors' I think  :luv:
Michelle, Emily and Ollie

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 12:52:22 PM »
Thanks all, I will leave the water down then.  Hadn't thought of setting the alarm, its normally about 5am he needs to go and he does ask by banging on the door!
He settles back down to sleep after really well, and doesn't particularly want to get up then as he takes himself back to bed and gets up at normal time with OH.

I hate all these little signs of aging and just want to make it all as easy as possible for my boy  :luv: :luv:

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 04:29:19 PM »
we have water down all night - so far at 10 1/2 Jarv's bladder is holding out :)

So strange having old dogs with different needs.  A couple of years ago none of this would have been of any interest to us.  Time goes so quickly   :-\ :-\
helen & jarvis x

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2015, 05:34:44 PM »
Suki used to be able to hold her wee for ages!  We used to joke about it - she had a cast iron bladder.  Because she has always hated the rain, she could wake up in the morning, see it was raining and not bother going outside till the rain stopped!

Now she is older (11) and she can no longer hold it so long.  We have noticed that unless one of us actually goes outside with her, she doesn't actually do her last wee of the evening.  She just stands by the door waiting to come back in.  So now, one of us goes out and reminds her that she needs to do her wee and make a fuss of her when she does.  Then she usually manages to hold it all night.  However, we do cheat sometimes if not sure and leave a puppy pad down - just in case!

She is the oldest dog we have ever had and we are also really finding it a sad reminder that she is getting on.
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2015, 05:41:03 PM »
Coco is 10 now and she sometimes wakes me up in the night needing to go out.  Most of the time she can go through the night but probably about 25% of the time now she needs a wee at some point in the night.  I still leave her water down though and would not want to withhold it.  :-\
Julie and Watson

Offline Ben's mum

• Donator
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 06:02:19 PM »
I might have to remind OH he is getting to the age where a 5am toilet trip will be necessary, so he can take Ben while he is up  :005:

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 06:13:22 PM »
How about just putting a smaller amount down, so Ben will drink it and think he's finished it.

Just an idea

Julie
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed

Offline PennyB

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2015, 08:12:50 PM »
I get woken in the night too so that usually Wilf can go out - some nights its more though
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!