Author Topic: Teeth issues....ideas please  (Read 1149 times)

Offline rubyduby

Teeth issues....ideas please
« on: March 20, 2021, 02:56:16 PM »
Hi folks my older girl Topaz who is now 11, has a lot of muck on her teeth at the base especially the canines, she went in to have them cleaned a while ago and came out minus 17, I was gobsmacked, he said the gums were receding around so he removed them??. Anyway she has the yellowy brow plaque, and its pretty hard , sometimes it will shell off with a bit of help, but Topaz is extrememly mouth shy as she had lip fold issues and sore lips for a while until an op solved it... Because of her age I am reluctant to go to the vets and have her anesthetised for the procedure, but I am desperate to get them clean as she gets sore gums.....anyone had/used anything that has helped, I have tried brushing etc, but it wont budge .....help!

Offline theshrew

Re: Teeth issues....ideas please
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2021, 03:48:24 AM »
We had to have 8 of Missy's taken out last year after she was in pain with it, She was 12 at the time.

Nothing but a bit drowsy afterwards tbh but we changed her to more soft food now though.

The only downside is she cant pick a ball up like she used to.

Offline phoenix

• Donator
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2021, 11:29:45 PM »
Have you tried the enzyme gel tooth cleaner from the vet?    I confess I have some but rarely use it.  Maybe the vet or nurse could clean the remaining teeth with just a sedative, rather than an anaesthetic.  When I took my rescue in , he freaked out  and was given a sedative in the back end which made him very sleepy, then they could start properly. He had 28 teeth out , which immediately cured his bad breath, but needed treatment for pneumonia caused by the spread of gum infection. 
RIP Marti  the EPI springer age 12,  and beloved black cocker Bobby, 8 yrs old, too soon, from PLN.
Now owned by TInker, tiny hairy grey poodle/terrier rescue from Greece and Jack, local rescue,   scruffy ginger terrier mutt.

Offline Jaysmumagain

• Donator
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2021, 10:47:04 AM »
Ollie had about 6 or 7 teeth removed a few years ago.  He has never liked having his teeth cleaned and he makes the task very difficult :005:  Yet you can give him medicine and clean him up etc.

Anyway since the removal of teeth and cleaning at vets I have used Petkin Tooth wipes, they are like a small wet wipe and he will let me rub his teeth with them and you can see the brownish colour on the wipe.  I showed it to the vet who said they were good.  They contain baking powder mint fresh and also a tooth antibac agent found in toothpaste.  I did try another type of wipe that slides over finger but they did not contain any antibacterial agent.

Use them each day and no problem, he is 13 now and each day is very special due to his health.
Cocker kisses and cuddles just make my day!

You are always with me darlings Jaypup and my precious Oliver you are so missed