Author Topic: New Registrations  (Read 6317 times)

Offline stueymac

• Tech Support
  • Administrator
    • CockersOnline
New Registrations
« on: June 09, 2006, 10:21:24 PM »
In an effort to prevent the forum being spammed we have had to implement Admin Approval for new memberships, this may delay your account being activated by 24 hours or so. Our apologies for this but we had to do something to prevent the posting of adult link requests etc etc.
Basically this process involves us checking your submitted email address and IP address against available records.

Additionally, some ISP's seem to block the automated emails which the forum sends out when your account is activated, AOL being one of them, this means some accounts will be activated but you may not know about it, therefore after 48 hours and it appears your account is still not active simply drop an email to info@cockersonline.co.uk and we will investigate.

Registration/activation may also be treated as SPAM by your ISP or email service, therefore we suggest you also check in any SPAM/Junk mail boxes you may have.

Admin

Offline SimonThePhotographer

• Site Member
Re: New Registrations
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 10:36:25 PM »
I realise this topic is as ancient as Terry Wogans humour, but I had the same issue with my own web engine.  Have you considered using a GD verification or some description?  I wrote a system for site registrations on my own site which generate an image during registration.  Instead of having a number which you just type in, it asked a simple question - like "what is 1 + 1?" and it needs to be answered before you can register.

It's a simple solution to stop spam-bots registering and you find them for most forum software these days (well - not like the one I wrote, but similar).

Just an idea tho - and only cos I got held up with the registration system too!   ::)

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 10:51:29 PM »
Thanks Simon ;) This function is available in the upgraded version of the forum software but Stu (COL's owner) probably doesn't have the time for an upgrade at the moment. Most new members hopefully don't have to wait too long for their memberships to be approved as I generally log on to do this several times a day although sometimes the odd one will get held up :D

PS You're far too young to be listening to Terry Wogan :lol:
Jane

Offline SimonThePhotographer

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 08:16:31 AM »
PS You're far too young to be listening to Terry Wogan :lol:

It's a shower thing!  :-)

Yeah, the GD question thing i'd never seen before.  I custom wrote mine because I was getting lots of spam registrations with a standard 'type what you see' type check.

Mine looks like this and i've had absolutely NO spam registrations since I put it in place!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 09:19:16 AM »
Yeah, the GD question thing i'd never seen before.  I custom wrote mine because I was getting lots of spam registrations with a standard 'type what you see' type check.

Mine looks like this and i've had absolutely NO spam registrations since I put it in place!

Yes that works really well - I've got something similar set up for the Guestbook on my personal website and have had no spam messages at all since installing it which is something of a miracle :D
Jane

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2007, 02:43:49 PM »
i know someone who has tried to join several times but can't. she says the password is neveremailed to her.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2007, 03:00:38 PM »
As long as your friend has registered with a valid email address, an activation email will have been sent to that address and she needs to click on the link in that mail to activate her membership. If she hasn't received the email, she should check her spam folder or contact info@cockersonline.co.uk so that Stu can activate her manually.
Jane

Offline lyn

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2007, 03:08:54 PM »
thanks jane, i will let her know and send her the link to contact stu.