Author Topic: Abbreviations  (Read 4393 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Abbreviations
« on: July 25, 2006, 10:29:52 PM »
I've just had my wrists slapped on another thread - is there an "official" COL position on common shorthand/abbreviations in posts?

I only use what I have picked up from other members here, so assumed it was OK to use  ph34r ph34r
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Re: Abbreviations
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 10:41:29 PM »
I am sure it is all ok.  :D

I think the other comments were just tongue in cheek, not too serious !!

i have trying to guess what some stuff means. Then found out i was totally wrong..

:lol:
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2006, 10:44:32 PM »
I've just had my wrists slapped on another thread - is there an "official" COL position on common shorthand/abbreviations in posts?

I thought it was tongue in cheek too ;), Cathy and yes it took me ages to find what that meant and also DD1 and DS 2 etc :005:

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2006, 10:47:41 PM »
I think since time began (or rather the internet became accessible to all) abbreviations have become used on forums and chat rooms regularly.

Abbreviations I see being used regularly are:

Family Members =

DH or OH - Darling Husband/Other Half
DW - Darling Wife
DD - Darling Daughter (DD1 if she's the first child DD2 if she's the second etc)
DS - Darling Son (DD1/DD2 etc)
MIL/FIL - Mother/Father in Law

Others =

HTH - Hope This Helps
IMO - In My Opinion
IMHO - In My Humble Opinion
LOL - Laugh Out Loud
PMSL - Peeing Myself Laughing
ROFL - Rolling On the Floor Laughing
IYSWIM - If You See What I Mean
IYKWIM - If You Know What I Mean
AFAIK - As Far As I Know
FWIW - For What Its Worth
FYI - For Your Information
FAQ - Frequently Asked Questions
OMG - Oh My God
IOW - In Other Words

Now my minds gone blank anyone got any more?
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 10:53:34 PM »
I only clicked tonight what IYSWIM stands for (I always just read it as 'I swim'). I think the thread in question also had FT CH and SH CH in the posts so Jean may have assumed it was another technical term. I don't think it was specifically aimed at you Rachel, more the whole thread in general! I have had to post before now to ask what some abbreviations mean. And I'm about to do it again!  :embarassed:
Emma - what does DD1 and DS2 mean?

Edited to say: Oh I know now!  :D Posted at the same time as MrsMac!

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2006, 10:54:26 PM »
No, as far as I'm aware there is no 'official' COL position on abbreviations as long as they're not offensive :D

They seem to be part of everyday internet chatting ;)
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 10:56:14 PM »

Emma - what does DD1 and DS2 mean?

Its Dear Daughter (then what ever order the child your referring to is) and Dear son (same as)

It can be complicating, I know I do abbreviate but I think sometimes its nice to read if the words are written down in full ;)

I am glad though that no-one on here tends to *text speak* as that I can't understand atall :005:

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 10:57:34 PM »
There are lots of sites which list commonly used chat room/forum abbreviations - a Google search will bring up many pages but HERE's one to be going on with ;)

There's no official position on the use of abbreviations on COL - if you want to use them, that's fine and if you don't understand one, just ask what it means or use a search engine :D
Jane

Offline pootle

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 10:59:14 PM »
i used to post on a parenting forum , and someone asked for a rundown of the abbreviations used and one girl, who was having a "bad day" with her DH, wittly supplied that she thought DH stood for d**k head  :005: :lol: still makes me laugh a couple of years later ...
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
And inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." -- Groucho Marx.

My two boys

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 11:00:38 PM »
  no slapped wrist honest . am just slow on the uptake.
 no offence meant.
As you will see by reading my other reply am not even good at texting. i Will always be slow on abbreviations I fear.
 cant beleive i didnt get it straight away.
   dont mean to cause waves.... just smooth them!

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2006, 11:02:13 PM »
LOL @ Pootle  :005:

Jane I should have done a linky!  Thanks.

Must admit I'm thrown by the FT CH and SH CH (Show Champion I think) abbreviations sometimes but thats because I'm new to the bloodlines and breeding side to owning a pedigreed pet  :D
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Friends are the angels that lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly

Offline CraftySam

• Site Member
  • Max, Morgan, Sapphi
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2006, 11:02:45 PM »

I only use what I have picked up from other members here, so assumed it was OK to use  ph34r ph34r

I didn't know any abbreviations until I joined COL as I'd not used forums before, and I'm sure there are others in the same boat. We all have to start somewhere.  ;)  Some of them I managed to work out for myself, some I had to ask.  I'm not against using them, but sometimes I feel stupid for asking.  ;)

Thanks for the list MrsMac, all I have to do now is remember them.  :005:
Sam is mum to - Sapphi (working black Lab 5 1/2 yrs), Max (Golden Retriever 4 yrs) Morgan (American Cocker 2 1/2yrs) and mum in spirit to Barney (English Cocker 3 1/2 yrs now living in Scotland)

Offline Rhona W

• Site Member
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2006, 11:03:17 PM »
Its Dear Daughter (then what ever order the child your referring to is) and Dear son (same as)
That's a bit complicated for me!  :-\ I have 4 children: b,g,g,b - if everyone follows that abbreviation!  ;) So would I have DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2? Or would it be DS1, DD2, DD3 and DS4?

I am glad though that no-one on here tends to *text speak* as that I can't understand atall :005:
I cannot bring myself to do 'text speak'! Whether that is the teacher in me or not, I don't know!  :-\ I have typed out a text like it - and then had to go back and spell everything correctly and put all the apostrophes in the right places!  :embarassed:

Offline MrsMac

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2006, 11:05:16 PM »

I didn't know any abbreviations until I joined COL as I'd not used forums before, and I'm sure there are others in the same boat. We all have to start somewhere.  ;)  Some of them I managed to work out for myself, some I had to ask.  I'm not against using them, but sometimes I feel stupid for asking.  ;)

Thanks for the list MrsMac, all I have to do now is remember them.  :005:

Print it off, cut to size and bluetack it to the side of your screen - thats what I did at first.  You'll soon get to used to it, if not using it then definitely reading it  :005:
Mairi & Melody
Melody

Offline *jean*

• Donator
  • who need s pills when you have pals ?
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 11:09:59 PM »
 but what do you do when its an actual text and you cant find your specs,  :P
 am fed up of text speak will never get the hang of it.
............never say never eh?........