Author Topic: Can anyone give me the lowdown on agility *complete novice!!*  (Read 1356 times)

Offline alfiesgirl

• Site Member
Can anybody tell me the basics of agility??  I would love to start doing it with my working cocker, he'll be a year next month, but I don't know much about it.  In fact all I know is that you have to try and get a clear round around a course of jumps/obsticals!!

So...  how do you get started? Are there leages/levels?  How well trained does your dog have to be before you can start?  Basically any useful info you can give me about the mysteries of agility would be very gratefully received! :lol2:

This is the little devil >:D who I think would love it, he can run really fast and jump really high, thats a start right?? ph34r

Offline Rosie

• Site Member
Re: Can anyone give me the lowdown on agility *complete novice!!*
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2008, 02:58:34 PM »
Okay - right agility is as you know a sport where you try to get your dog around a course of up to 20 obstacles in the right order and fatest time without incurring any faults.

The obstacles to be mastered include - hurdles - normal jumps, spread, long jump and tyre (a sort of hoop to be jumped through), wall
Weaves - 5-12 poles a set distance apart which the dog must weave through - always entering with its shoulder on the left of the first pole
Tunnels - both a rigid and collapsible
Contact equipment which the dog must go from end to end touching the painted areas on both ends - the A Frame - called becuase it looks like an A, dog walk - three long planks - an up, accross and down plank and a see saw which pivots to allow the dog to cross.
Also you may in some top classes and finals see a pause table where the dog must jump onto and wait for an amount of time in a deignated position.

Okay - thats the equipment.  Most people start agility for fun and find a local training club.  A list of clubs can be found on:

www.agilitynet.co.uk

But agiltiy is opssibly one of the fatest growing dog sports in the country and clubs are vastly oversubscribed and have a waiting list.  Some clubs also know of trainers who can do a taster/one to one session so ask around.

Dogs need to be min 12 months before they start training as training too young can damage growing joints and bones as agility is quite a high impact sport.

Things to practice before going along to a club. A good recall is a must as agility is exciting but you need that first bit of control.  A wait is valuable if your dog is faster than you - (most are).  you can also start training your dog lefts and rights (if you do a search on here you will  find some tips for that!).

You do not need to be an obedience champion but a dog that is used to being around other dogs and can still focus on you when there is a lot going on is important (although treats and toys can initally help with this as you may find iniitally they do get quite distracted - new sights smells etc).

Always keep it light and enjoy it - always ensure your voice sounds happy and when they do something you like praise and reward - loads at the beginning so you build good foundations and understanding of what is good and what is expected but never forget to praise your dog.  Too many people tell their dog off for not doing something when the dog does not understand what you want or forget to praise at all.

Always ensure that the club uses praise and positive motivation to achieve goals and all is done at your pace.

Probably that is more than enough to start but some real basics about when you get to compete (although any good club will explain this)

At kennel club shows dogs can compete in one of three height categories and to compete at Kennel Club  shows you must be measured first.  Some non KC club organise shows that their rules may be different and you need to check with them.  for KC shows the heights are  Small - up to 35cm at withers, medium over 35 and under 45 cm at withers and large - over 45cm at withers.

Dogs also compete in grades - grades go from 1-7 with 1 being the lowest.  There are more complexities than this but too much to go into here.  If you do a search on the agilitynet site you will find diagrams and information on the grading struature which was only introduced in 2007.

Finally although it can be competitive if you want it to be, overall agility is fun so go any enjoy it.

That is a smashing photo by the way and I am sure that you will both have a lot of fun doing agility. But remember speed and jumping is only one aspect - handling control and skill is the other and that is what takes the time to master

Good luck and enjoy - any questions then ask away I can always talk agility and am sure that there are plenty of others who can too!

Rosie & 4 naughty cockers plus one!

Offline alfiesgirl

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2008, 03:21:44 PM »
Thanks, thats great, I will have a look to see if there are any clubs in my area.  Its really good to see the basic info like that as when you're trying to google things they can become a bit confusing to the uintrained eye :shades:  We want to do agility for fun and to give Alfie some fun work to do, though I have a feeling it will be harder work for us than it is for him :005:

Offline LizzieD

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 09:41:42 PM »
Rosie - thanks for all that info. Millie & I have just started having 1:1 lessons (grand total of 4 so far   ;)) and thoughly enjoy it. I must admit that I didn't know anything about how the catagories or levels worked, so that was really useful.
The only thing I can add to Alfiesgirls questions as that it is most definately harder work for the handler than the dog - Millie (bless her) just does whatever I ask of her  :luv: -  its me that gives the wrong signal/sign/ gets in her way/forgets my left and right/don't tell her to wait on the contacts - you get the drift. :lol2:  :lol2:
But it is great fun and we cant wait to start our novice couse in April. (& we will see how she gets on with lots more distractions  :lol2:)
Children grow up and don't want cuddles, but dogs are puppies for life.

Offline silke

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 06:07:26 PM »
There's no info I can add, just to tell you that it's fab!  :D Charlie and I do agility, we go to a brilliant trainer, who is very positive and kind and really knows her stuff, and that's the thing to look for when going to a club/trainer - we went somewhere before this one, and it was awful! >:(

Go for it, it really is great!

Silkex