Author Topic: Recall and strange behaviour  (Read 1875 times)

Offline Pwright

Recall and strange behaviour
« on: March 11, 2023, 10:15:02 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has experienced similar behaviour or ideas as to what may e going on in my 18 month old (Lottie’s) head?

When we take her for her walk everything starts off great. I start by practising her recall a couple of times, call her and she immediately legs it back to me and gets a little treat. Next I blow the whistle a few times and she bombs it back and gets a treat.  Everything is going great.

We then get to an open field and out comes the ball. The thing she loves above everything else is her ball. I throw the ball and Lottie retrieves it with great excitement. After about 10 throws or when we near the end of the walk, I throw the ball Lottie dashes after it but refuses to come anywhere near me. I call her and she sits down staring at me. Whistle her and nothing just the stare. I ignore her and pretend to walk off. I check over my shoulder and Lottie’s following at a safe distance of about 100 meters. It’s the same behaviour when I go to lots of different places to walk her, even places she’s never visited before. It’s as if there’s a point in the walk when she fears the end of the fun is about to happen. I’ve tried without the ball but she does the same thing, she goes to a safe distance and sits down.

Finally after using two balls and all the tricks in the book I get her back on the lead and off to the car. I’m kind of hoping she’s pushing boundaries and we’ll be able to work through it. Any advice or experience’s much appreciated

Offline russ-g

Re: Recall and strange behaviour
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 08:22:11 AM »
It's more than likely something in your body language that she's picking up which signifies the end of the walk.

Stanley has been through a similar phase and I had to work hard to make the end of the walk exciting enough for him to behave. I still take two toys with me just in case, one ball and one tug toy. He'll have on or the other, but if he messes me about I've got the other to entice him back to me where he gets a lump of cheese. Now he's generally good as gold.

I also keep the lead in my hand for the 2nd half of the walk so that he doesn't know when it's going to end. He used to mess me about when he saw me getting the lead out ready to put on him.

They pick up the most subtle body language, it can be quite annoying! Good luck!