Author Topic: Growl on a hunt  (Read 347 times)

Offline mcphee

Growl on a hunt
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:22:15 AM »
Rufus Mark 2, my new walking companion, has , it seems, developed a new hunting mode. Although he does run around energetically still,(either side of the hedge) he tends to stop and point, and size up the hunting patch first. The quartering now only starts if he gets onto a fresh scent. This morning he did sprint after a few bunnies and jumped into the ditches and through the hedges, as usual (it is so much easier when I am not attached by a retractable). He knows these fields well, but still came to the whistle. On one dive into a patch of nettles, he started growling. This is a hunting noise I have never heard before, and because of the new regime, I do not go back, I keep walking and call if he does not follow within a reasonable time/distance. Could not have been a cat, because I am sure it would have moved. A bunny or squirrel would not have stood a chance if it didn't move, so I am interested in what it could be. Has anyone else with a non field trained worker, ever had this before, and what was the prey? I was able to recall him, but not to call, it needed the whistle.