Author Topic: Riley and an update on our circumstances  (Read 6491 times)

Offline Christal

Re: Riley and an update on our circumstances
« Reply #45 on: December 03, 2011, 01:57:38 AM »
Hi Charlene, glad to see you back.  :bigarmhug:

Really sorry about all the problems with Diesel and Riley.

I hope OH isn't having too much of a problem with it.  It's obviously been a very emotional time for all of you and it sounds as though he also needs some TLC.  Hopefully in time he'll come to accept that his Mum and Dad are doing the best for Riley, and be able to visit without heartache.

Diesels also had a bit of a rough time.  He was seperated from you while the vets got things sorted out and that may have contributed to his possesiveness of you.  In time that may change.

For the moment just enjoy each other and Diesel, and let everything else take care of itself.... it usually does in the end.  xxx

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2011, 08:07:38 AM »
Karma - I felt exactly the same and said the same to my best friend in a very guilty feeling phone call, that i didnt enjoy owning either dog at the time. I told her that i felt absolutely terrible about it. My friend who has an older dog (so has been a dog owner a lot longer than me) advised that it could be that Diesel would never except another dog, she was very shocked when she popped round and witnessed how Diesel was, she also never believed Diesel could react in that way. Although it was heartbreaking giving Riley away ill be 100% honest and admit that it was more heartbreaking at the thought of keeping him, It got to the point where i looked into that pups eyes and thought Gosh i really want you to have what diesel has but i cant provide it to you under the circumstances as just keeping him safe was taking up all of my time and energy. So although it was heartbreaking that the pup had to go, i must admit that i feel so much better on the couple of occassions i have been up to see him that he is so content there at OH parents. He has what i wanted to give him but couldnt and im very lucky i still have the opportunity to see him still.
OH was talking again last night but feels that we just 'got rid' of Riley without giving the 2 dogs enough time to settle, I advised him that after 2 weeks if Diesel is pinning the pup down at the neck and has to be prised off them that tells me that no amount of time is going to help and that the pup was extremely stressed. it wasnt fair and as much as i knew he was devastated about it i had to hurt him to do the right thing.

Christal - I think that your right, after being seperated from me and all the trauma from his first month or so with me it may be that we are too close - I may be talking utter rubbish but it may be that i also have given him 100% attention 100% of the time and he and i are to close to accept another pup.
Like i say i never will get another pup whilst i have Diesel as i am petrified it would happen again and i wouldnt want to put another pup through that or Diesel. It has also made me see that although i would love Diesel to have a sibling, i love Diesel just the way he is on his own. I love our one on one time of pigging out on the couch and watching girly stuff when daddy out and that he likes to lie beside the bath and listen to me sing when im in the shower and everything. Its mabey been that i have made him so that he cant share me as such - mabey i have given him all of my attention and he wont be able to share that. But you know what i have learnt alot from it and i am just glad to have Diesel back to his normal self - well he is a bit more demanding at the moment but he is slowly settling down again. I hope they can be friends in the future but i would rather they were both happy. Time will tell though fingers crossed

Hi Charlene, I'm sorry you've all had such a distressing time but it sounds like all's well that ends well to me.  I've not read about the controversy but they may have got on or not got on, and you'd no way of knowing until you tried it.  It sounds like you've resolved the problem very successfully and can still see Riley.  To keep him would not have been right.

My only question (not to you but to all COLers) is that it sounds like Riley and Diesel didn't get on from the word go.  When you buy a puppy, do you not do a meet and greet first between the pup and the dog you already have and have them spend a bit of time together?  Before purchase? Or is that not the done thing when a breeder is involved?  Or was it just not apparent till they'd been at home a while? 

I had asked about that and wether i could take Diesel to meet the pup - As many pointed out alot of breeders wont allow this as the pups are still very young and they would not allow an unknown dog to be near the pups for their own safety - Some others have been able to but most breeders will always put the safety of the pups first

Topic was: http://www.cockersonline.co.uk/discuss/index.php?topic=88679.0

However i must say that sometimes as previously said by others sometimes the problems dont arise til mabey a couple of days or a week or so later when the current dog sees that the pup is going to be staying.  It may be that if he was introduced to Riley in a different enviroment he might have been ok there but with the severity of his reaction i honestly think that he would still have reacted that way once the pup was in Diesels home enviroment. I dopnt think it was anything to do with the pup personally - i think regardless of what pup it had been he would have reacted the same but i am not willing to ever test out that theory  ph34r
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Sarah.H

• Site Member
  • charlie
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2011, 09:54:48 AM »

It may be that if he was introduced to Riley in a different enviroment he might have been ok there but with the severity of his reaction i honestly think that he would still have reacted that way once the pup was in Diesels home enviroment. I dopnt think it was anything to do with the pup personally - i think regardless of what pup it had been he would have reacted the same but i am not willing to ever test out that theory  ph34r

Just picking up on that thought, when you introduce Diesel to Riley again you should do it somewhere neutral to both of them. especially if Diesel has been a regular visitor to you in-laws house as he may still see it as 'his' property.

Millie

Offline Mel

• Donator
  • Owned and chomped by Taliesin the Bard.
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2011, 10:09:50 AM »
I am so pleased you posted Charlene. I think it will be extremely helpful for anyone wishing to get two puppies.

I know how desperately upset thus has made you but the luck of it is that Riley is still close.

Pleased you are back, wiser and with more experience.:bigarmhug:
Kelynen Mister Bojangles 17th March 1997 - 29th January 2010

”Come on Stink-woo, time for bubbyes. End of days now my poppety.”

Free Cake!

Offline c19unn

• Donator
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2011, 11:02:56 AM »

It may be that if he was introduced to Riley in a different enviroment he might have been ok there but with the severity of his reaction i honestly think that he would still have reacted that way once the pup was in Diesels home enviroment. I dopnt think it was anything to do with the pup personally - i think regardless of what pup it had been he would have reacted the same but i am not willing to ever test out that theory  ph34r

Just picking up on that thought, when you introduce Diesel to Riley again you should do it somewhere neutral to both of them. especially if Diesel has been a regular visitor to you in-laws house as he may still see it as 'his' property.

Yeah we are only going to meet up at neutral grounds as such for walks and we are going to wait til after new year once riley is fully settled and a little bit bigger
My Mummy's name is Charlene
My name is Diesel

Diesel DOB:16-04-11

Offline Vicki

• Donator
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2011, 11:05:48 AM »
Feeling so sad for you and your OH, Charlene - especially after seeing the photos of sweet Riley. It must be heart-breaking. But at least you can watch Riley grow up. Rather than being brothers, Diesel and Riley can be cousins (sort of).

:bigarmhug:

Offline minimoo

• Donator
« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2011, 02:16:20 PM »
Sorry to hear about the new pup Charlene  but at least you know where he is, it sounds like he will have a lovely life with OH parents. Sometimes hard lessons can only be learnt through experience , i have an 18 month old and a nearly 7 month old and they would be too much for alot of less experienced owners , i know how rough they can be with each other and they get on  ph34r , i hope in future Riley and Diesel will be able to meet up and go for walks together , but you have done the best for both dogs in the long term and its obvious how much you love Diesel
Julie owned by Ella, and Bailey the mud monster and little Milo.   R.I.P Kizzy 19.04.97 - 16.06.11, the start of my love for the wiggly ones and Bruno my lovely brave boy

Offline Cayley

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2011, 02:18:43 PM »
Is the breeder aware you rehomed him?
Cayley.

Offline Sheepscheeks

• Have to keep running or me feets will freeze!
« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2011, 03:25:01 PM »
Can't say anything really that others haven't already said - I am very sorry it didn't work out for you. I do think, though, that your experience shows that, when it comes to dogs, we need to be ruled by our heads and not our hearts. Well done for being so open and honest - others can learn from your experience. Adolescent dogs are like adolescent teenagers - tendency to be unpredictable, moody, possessive!
Paula & Freddie x

Offline Penelope

• Site Member
« Reply #54 on: December 03, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »
So sorry this didn't work out for you.
When we got Buffy (our cocker now at the Bridge) and were told she had many health problems, we got Poppy  (yorkie) just a couple of months later.  We were incredibly lucky that it worked out.  Buffy was often poorly and sometimes unable to come for walks with us.  Poppy was her constant companion cos they were so close in age.  Poppy was always tiny compared with Buffy and maybe that helped too - she was like Buffy's baby.
When we lost Buffy last year Poppy really grieved badly for her.

When we brought Dexter home almost a year ago, Suki just grunted as if to say "Oh great, another pup". 
Josie was over the moon - "you've got me a friend who walks and talks and plays with me" and loved Dexter immediately.
Poppy - who we expected to be fine cos Dexter was smaller than her at the time - hated him on sight.  He couldn't even look at her without getting snarled at.
Luckily he quickly grew and it seemed almost as soon as he was bigger than Poppy, she accepted him! However, we never had any of the fighting you describe.

All I can say is that you did what was right for you and your dogs - both of them.  It is sad it didn't work, but I am really pleased you will still get to see "your" pup regularly.  Hopefully, as time goes on and Deisel realises the pup isn't going to be living with him they may actually be good friends.  I hope so.

Take care and   :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:
Penny,   Dexter (cavalier x poodle), Alfie (Whippet cross)  and  Maximus the cocker spaniel!!

RIP my 2 most gorgeous cocker girls - Buffy and Harriet - both waiting for me at the bridge. Joined by my beloved Josie taken too soon and Suki aged 13 :(

Offline Dozy bird

• My beautiful babies
« Reply #55 on: December 03, 2011, 05:49:56 PM »
Hi,
I was wondering where you were and checked the puppy page for posts and pics!
There's not much I can say that the others haven't already said, but just so you know I'm so very sorry it didn't work the way you planned after you were so excited  :'( .
I hope you find some consolation that Riley will still be a part of your lives and you were able to sort out for him a loving family  :luv: .
Diesel must love you very, very much and you obviously have a very special bond  :D
Take care and please keep us updated with Diesel stories as they're lovely  :bigarmhug: :bigarmhug:

Sally xx

Offline Sara750S

• Toby
« Reply #56 on: December 03, 2011, 11:00:31 PM »
You poor thing - I hope when you meet up in the new year in a lovely wintery park, that they become good playmates for the future

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #57 on: December 03, 2011, 11:17:51 PM »
Is the breeder aware you rehomed him?

Will it matter if he is rehomed within the family and with the knowledge he is being properly cared for? I'm only asking if there is a legal obligation
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline Mudmagnets

• Site Member
  • My boys
« Reply #58 on: December 03, 2011, 11:19:49 PM »
Sorry to read you have all had such a tough time lately.......and welcome back
Remembering Smudge 23/11/2006 - 3/8/2013, and Branston 30/8/14 - 28/10/22 both now at the Bridge.

Offline ollie nathan's mum

• Donator
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2011, 12:10:17 PM »
Sorry for what has happened to Riley, hind site and experience is a wonderful thing. I have got to say that I have sat back and watched the situation unfold and am not at all surprised by the outcome (sorry). I do still feel slightly worried about Riley's situation, he is not with your in-laws had they planned for a new puppy?. Is Riley THEIR dog or are you still having an active role/say in his future, Hopefully I am wrong but  I see family arguements ahead.
Ollie D.O.B 29/03/2010