Author Topic: Ahhhh  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Ahhhh
« on: November 08, 2005, 07:51:05 PM »
Got home at lunch time today and Bailey had eaten a hole in my kitchen wall!!!!! :o

Any suggestions pleeeeease!!!  :rolleyes:
  Mich, Bailey and Poppy xxxxx

Offline miche

• Site Member
    • http://mwcooling.co.uk
Ahhhh
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 07:56:41 PM »
When was the last time you fed him????

Seriously though - do you think he may be suffering from seperation anxiety? or is it a naughty puppy chewing problem :unsure:

Herbie has chewed the chairs in my kitchen but it's the only thing he's ever chewed so I've just accepted it.

Sorry can't offer much help - although some-one will be able to  :)
Love Michele, Mikey and Herbiexx

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Ahhhh
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 08:06:04 PM »
In the morning before I left for work!!! I doubt it could be separation anxiety, he's spent around half a day 5 days a week by himself since we had him (6 weeks ago)

He has loads of toys, I think he might have just found it nice on his teeth!!! :blink:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Ahhhh
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 08:24:50 PM »

Ahhhhh poor you hun, what a nightmare!! :blink: ..........you could get him one of those balls that you put treats in and Bailey can spend house chasing it to get the treats out, that'll keep him occupied...it worked with Milo :)

Or else tell Matt you'll have to give up work, Bailey is far too distressed when he is left alone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)  I tried that with Lee once...................I wont repeat what he said for those of you with sensitive ears!!.......It was two words though!!.....I'm sure you can hazzard a guess!!!!

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Ahhhh
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2005, 08:30:35 PM »
I lost count of the number of people who's first response when I told them we'd got a pup was "he'll destroy your kitchen"   :rolleyes:

We used a puppy pen/crate when Molo was left on his own was a pup - he slowly graduated to being given the freedom of the kitchen when he was 12 months old  :)  We bought a giant breed sized crate (4' x 2'6") and that was his space from the day he came home - we still shut the door at night and he sleeps in there by choice during the day, too  :)

Obviously, a crate or pen shouldn't be abused, and pups shouldn't be left for long periods alone anyway - but it keeps them safe from harm, protects your house and furniture and IMO, it is a vauable training aid as it allows you to teach them what is OK to chew and what isn't, without them undoing all the training when your not there  :ph34r:

Good luck!
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Ahhhh
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 08:39:33 AM »
Maybe he's related to my Oscar Labrador ;)  :lol:

I've lost track of the times he's been through my kitchen walls!

This was his latest escapology attempt (though by no means the biggest!). This hole was about 2ft square.

http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Ahhhh
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2005, 08:42:02 AM »
Meant to add - Oscar just does this for the fun of it. Its definitely not separation anxiety because he tries it when I'm in the same room as him :rolleyes:

The morning that the photo above was taken he'd had a 2 hour off-lead run and I'd then zipped out for 40 minutes. I left him with a rawhide chew bone, a kong filled with treats and a handful of biccies spread around the floor. :rolleyes:

Offline sarahb2206

• Site Member
    • http://
Ahhhh
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2005, 10:44:03 AM »
:(  Oh dear - unfortunately, some dogs just love to chew for different reasons - not all separation anxiety, though.
Bramble has never been destructive - until now!!  Out of the blue she has taken a liking to the settee......

I saw a tip on here about Olbas Oil.   Just dab a few drops on the area (in my case the inside corner of the cover) and the dog is put off by the smell.  It works for us, but I have to kepp re-applying it.

I agree with what Rachel has said about the crate/ pens.  We invested in the largest crate we could fit in the utility area, and have shut her in there on occasions.......  we make it as homely for her as possible, and that removes her from the problem..... but, of course it doesn't cure the problem.

If Bailey is just going to be a chewer, maybe crating him whilst you go out is going to be the answer.......   it isn't cruel - so long as its not abused.......    :)
Sarah and Bramble XX

Offline Mich

• Site Member
  • Bailey come back!
Ahhhh
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 06:30:33 PM »
OK that makes me feel a whole lot better!!!! :P  :D

The whole was nothing as bad as that!! He is behaving much better today! :rolleyes:

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Ahhhh
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 06:50:49 PM »

This was his latest escapology attempt (though by no means the biggest!). This hole was about 2ft square.

[snapback]158687[/snapback]

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Ahhhh
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2005, 10:45:35 PM »
When Jessie was young she ate a hole in the wall, and kept repeating it every time we filled and painted it.

We decided in the end she like the taste of the plaster and mixed a solution of sumat foul tasting and 'painted'  it where she would chew....she tried it once more and never did again....

We're not sure whether it worked or whether she got bored but hey we don't have the hole anymore lol

Janey

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Ahhhh
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2005, 11:31:09 AM »
We've tried everything painted onto the walls and woodwork and furniture - he just likes chewing :rolleyes:  no matter what!

For a while we used Cribbox which is designed to prevent horses chewing on their stables doors. It worked for a while - but only if I warmed it in the microwave before painting it on - once cold he just chewed the same :rolleyes:

He is getting better ever so slowly so I reckon when he's about ten years old we might have cracked it ;)  :lol:  :ph34r: (He's 18 months now!) :lol:

Offline lyn

• Site Member
Ahhhh
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2005, 11:37:52 AM »
when we first got our oes her and bobby the cat used to peel the wallpaper off the hall walls.bobby would pick it with his claws till there was enough for maisie to peel big strips off then she would run away and bobby would chase her.they had great fun but i had no wallpaper for about a year till maisie found a new game :lol:
the couple over the road used to have a doberman who ate through the concrete wall in the store room he nearly got through to the next house :lol:

Offline flozac

• Inactive
  • I must be even madder!!!!
Ahhhh
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2005, 02:55:20 PM »
I read recently somewhere maybe this  forum that when dogs eat plaster it maybe something lacking in their diet. Maybe calcium I can't remember, i will see  if i can find it
Nicola,Zac,Jess,Floss,Scout,Ciara and baby Reiver

Offline silkstocking

• Site Member
Ahhhh
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2005, 09:27:28 PM »
I read recently somewhere maybe this  forum that when dogs eat plaster it maybe something lacking in their diet. Maybe calcium I can't remember, i will see  if i can find it
[snapback]159135[/snapback]

It's the same with children. There are some children that eat wall paper....dog biscuits.......bark from trees, you name it and that's to do with a lack of something in their diet.......learnt about it when I was at college xx