Author Topic: kleptomaniac spaniel  (Read 3719 times)

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
kleptomaniac spaniel
« on: April 26, 2006, 09:30:51 PM »
 >:D Does anyone else have a kleptomaniac spaniel like me? George (you'll be sick at the sound of his name soon all the scrapes he gets into) the little darling is a chronic thief i think it's a condition he was born with because he's been doing it since we had him. He steals anything and everything not so bad you say but the problem is he swallows (or attempts) his booty. When he was ten months old my mum was doing a spot of dog sitting i did warn her not to leave anything within his reach or to put anything down in his vicinity but alas she couldn't resist a spot of dusting (you know where i'm going with this) she put the duster down and speedy mcpuppy snatched it in a flash shot down stairs and hid behind the television. Mum gave chase George thought it was a great game all the time he's shoving more of the duster in his mouth.She then thought ignore him and i'll make a grab for him (toooo slow) he sat just out of reach looked her square in the eye and swallowed it. I got a striken phone call at work explaining what had happen (she claims he goaded her) a quick phone call to the vets resulted in "don't worry he'll probably pass it in two or three days or he'll just digest it" It was one of those big yellow ones!! Ten days later (bum watch had ceased by then) we heard growling in the kitchen George and Jasper were having a tug of war with the offending item he had just passed it whole,in tact,complete! this is only one example of the little s**ds snatch and swallow incidents please tell me i'm not alone.
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
Re: kleptomaniac spaniel
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 10:29:19 PM »
Wow.  :shades: Respect to the puppy. I thought Clive was a bad thief, but I must say he's never really swallowed anything that spectacular, only things like drawing pins that we know about so far.

Look forward to hearing more of George's exploits  :005:
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:39:24 PM »
I know of a border collie who does this - swallows dishclothes and items of clothing whole and passes them a few days later (apparently its really embarrassing on walks, as sometimes they *dangle*  ph34r)

I'm a worrier and would be paranoid that it would get stuck - but so far, he's had no problems........ :-\
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2006, 12:57:02 PM »
Moog is exactly the same.  We call the the magpie  :005:  She mainly takes harmless items, but has been known to consume a packet of contraceptive pills and a disposable razor  :o  she passed the head of the razor whole and the handle in tiny pieces.....
Love,
Lisa, Moog & Mervyn x x x x

Offline Nicola

• FTCh Caoimhe
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2006, 01:05:48 PM »
has been known to consume a packet of contraceptive pills

Fitting considering her recent experience with Merv  :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:
Nicola, Tilly, Rodaidh and Caoimhe x

http://www.flickr.com/photos/30049807@N08/

Offline The Moog

• Site Member
  • Mwaaah!
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2006, 01:09:13 PM »
has been known to consume a packet of contraceptive pills

Fitting considering her recent experience with Merv  :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:

I know!  It crossed my mind as I was posting!   :005:
Love,
Lisa, Moog & Mervyn x x x x

Offline Tracey Jane

• Site Member
  • We're just silly about Milly
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2006, 01:28:08 PM »
and a disposable razor

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: maybe she was going to shave her legs as well !!! - Moog you little floozy  :005:

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2006, 10:51:48 AM »
I started laughing with Speedy McPuppy (definitely snaffling that one to call Paddy, and claim as my own when OH laughs at it!) and oh, YUKKKKKK, at the tug of war, but it just gets better.  this whole post is a hoot.  I'm not so worried now about Pads swallowing bits of chewed cardboard! :005:

Offline janejohn

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2006, 10:59:45 AM »
I know of a border collie who does this - swallows dishclothes and items of clothing whole and passes them a few days later (apparently its really embarrassing on walks, as sometimes they *dangle*  )

:rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1: :rofl1:
Jane, Sapphire and Merlin x

Offline SARAHLP

• Site Member
  • Maisy at 4 weeks
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2006, 05:00:15 PM »

This post made me chuckle!!!!  I'm sure it's not at all fun to have to deal with, but you have a very comic way of explaining it!! :lol: :lol: :rofl1:  I'm quite looking forward to the next episode!! x
xxx Love Sarah & (crazy) Maisy xx

Offline PlymouthMaid

• Site Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 08:08:09 PM »
Marley does a lot of thievery too mainly, I think, because he wants to be chased. This week he has stolen and chewed or eaten the top of a torch including the bulb part, two cds, a catalogue parcel (ate the packaging before I got to it) and numerous shoes, socks and newpapers. He is so hard to catch as he hides under my big table. It's actually driving me crazy and am beginning to think that he will have to go in his crate whenever we are eating or dressing etc as he just can't be trusted and we don't always have the time for the chase.

Offline Deb H

• Site Member
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2006, 08:15:37 PM »
Could they be related do you think? You have my sympathy we've come to the conclusion if George were human he'd have an ASBO by now. Bless the little *************************
He is your friend,your partner,your defender,your dog. You are his life,his love,his leader. He will be yours,faithfull and true,to the last beat of his heart.You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.Anon.
Deb,Henry,Jasper & George angel babies. Sydney,Harry,Jethro,Dhali Hebe Seth Hades Moses

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2006, 10:03:17 PM »
Yes, Coco is a kleptomaniac too and will pinch anything she can get hold of.  She will always find a treasure on walks - eg plastic bottle, trainer, glove, plastic bags, condom( :o), lager can and anything else being carried by small children including any items of clothing they have been stupid enough to leave on the ground. At home it is shoes, tissues out of my pockets (even zipped up ones), purses etc out of anyone's handbag.  When I am gardening she is a right little  >:D  She will pinch gardening gloves, the thing I use to kneel on, trowel, secateurs, bucket, tray of plants etc etc  >:(  Basically anything she can get her devillish paws on.  Very annoying as if I try and get anything off her she thinks its a great game and does a runner. Also, takes weeds and general muck out of the bucket and trails them around the garden and pulls up what I have just planted and runs away with it.  All in all, everything takes about 3 times as long as I have to go round the garden clearing up the trail of destruction she has left. :005:
Julie and Watson

Offline ClareB

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2006, 10:10:28 PM »
Yes, Coco is a kleptomaniac too and will pinch anything she can get hold of.  She will always find a treasure on walks - eg plastic bottle, trainer, glove, plastic bags, condom( :o),

Milo swallowed one of these once at a park I walk at.   ph34r  I thought it was one when I saw a glimpse before he ran and hid behind a car, but by the time I caught up with him, it had gone.   :o  I really hoped that it wasn't what I thought it was, not only because it's so gross, but I was worried it might cause a blockage and make him ill.  Obviously the prospect of explaining that one to our vet crossed my mind.   :o  Fortunately, he doesn't pick up anything quite so disgusting anymore, mainly the odd stick and plastic bottle. 
Clare, Milo & Mocha

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2006, 10:17:07 PM »
Yes, I was worried about her swallowing a condom  :o - not sure if it was used or not!!  It was quite gross but I managed to get it off her - luckily it was a cold day and I was wearing gloves   ;)  Yuk
Julie and Watson