Author Topic: Too thin?  (Read 9615 times)

Offline jann

• Site Member
Re: Too thin?
« Reply #45 on: July 23, 2006, 08:46:17 PM »
Do people still eat this? :shades:

What about you Penel - have you tried it out? :shades:

;) Yes they do, it's very nice raw with salt, pepper and vinegar or cooked with onions in milk! :blink:
Better still is 'ELDER' (cow's udder!)  :lol:

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #46 on: July 23, 2006, 09:31:33 PM »
Remember you are feeding the lamb breast raw  - not cooked...
I know similar questions have been raised on COL but can I just ask specifically with  lamb breast, is there no fear of splinters with these bones? Do your dogs automatically crunch them up? If I were, for example to offer Fern raw lamb breast with the bones, a seven year old, who has never been offered raw meat before and  is used to swallowing everything offered her whole  ::), is there no chance that she might try to swallow these whole too and cause her to choke?  :-\

I am not trying to put anyone off BARF at all. The theory behind it makes perfect sense to me, I just wonder -would a pup perhaps take to BARF more readily and more sensibly than an adult?

This sounds stupid now I have written it down but she is so 'enthusiastic' with her food - doesn't know what 'being picky' is. .....perhaps I should start her off with a large cow shin bone  ;)
Ruby's 5 months, but we switched her over to raw after she had been eating complete kibble, and so I can't speak for older dogs, but she certainly ate evrything without it touching the sides - her kibble, treats - once she swallowed a hard boiled egg (shelled, obviously) in one go without chewing!

So I was concerned she'd eat too quick and choke and kept a v.close eye on her when we switched her diet.  It turned out not to be a problem really as she hadn't had raw bones before and at first looked at it as if to say 'What's this - do I eat it?' And so she ate very slowly, giving it a lot of licking first.  Also, I would start with bigger bones, like a big chunk of oxtail maybe, and move on to chicken wings after she's learned to eat more slowly.  You could also give it to her partly frozen - that will really slow down the eating speed!  We did this as we thought it would be soothing whilst Ruby was teething, and also when it''s very hot.  It'll occupy her for 45 mins.

There's an article in Dogs Today about raw feeding this month which I read with interest.  They start by talking about a case where a poor dog died after choking on a chicken wing.  Two things popped to my attention: the owner admits she listened to others who said 'BARF's good' and just started adding stuff to their diet without doing any further reading!!!  Also, she just plonked chicken wings on top of their kibble, so of course he was used to bolting down the whole meal and swallowed a bit whole which damaged his insides and caused his death.  It was so very sad, but I wouldn't have switched Ruby over without extensive reading and research - I bought 5 books from Amazon - and they each have chapters in which deal with making the transition in an older dog.

Offline waisis

• Site Member
  • Mr. Big Paws
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2006, 04:09:05 AM »
Another tripe-eater here...me, not the dog!  :005: :005:  You can order it at chinese dimsum where it's steamed with green onions, yum  ;)
Bailey and Mom

Penel

« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2006, 09:51:29 AM »
I hasten to add people are eating bleached washed tripe (cooked) whereas the dogs are eating unwashed raw "green" tripe  :D and no I don't eat it   :D

Offline Abby

• Site Member
    • Pub Dog Days
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2006, 10:00:00 AM »
Saw a repeat of the River Cottage programme last week when Hugh FW was making tripe. Disgusting but fascinating at the same time!  :005: ph34r
Abby, Clive n Dylan

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #50 on: July 24, 2006, 01:59:23 PM »
Isn't suet actually just tripe? 

Offline KarIng

• Site Member
  • I'm comfy and I'm not budging!
« Reply #51 on: July 24, 2006, 02:21:19 PM »
HI Karen,
well done !!!  :D  when it says for working dogs only thats a tax dodge - just means we don't pay VAT on tripe.... mine aren't working dogs  ;) (they are lazy gits !) and they all eat tripe  :D
I personally would like to try and persuade you to feed only raw - but can understand you wanting to take it slowly.  Maybe finish up the Burns you already have, and then phase that out - Burns really does not put weight on dogs - its great for dogs needing to lose weight but not the opposite.
You don't need to add pasta or veg to the Naturediet - that is already a complete meal.  Same as Natures Menu pouches they are a very similar food, and also complete.
You can add pasta or rice to the raw tripe / chicken if you want to but it isn't really necessary.
Remember you are feeding the lamb breast raw  - not cooked...
Good luck !

Thanks.  What sort of amounts should I be feeding now?  I've been working my way through all the BARF threads on COL but find them very confusing as they all talk about so many different foods.

Today Ted had about 70 g Burns for breakfast.  Then for lunch he had half a block of tripe/chicken and then half a Naturediet pack (I will give him whole packs soon, but don't want to give him huge amounts of lots of different things at once).  He'll have another meal tonight, I thought I might add some cooked pasta and carrots to some Burns and once he's used to that I might make his evening meal lamb with carrots and/or pasta or potatoes.  Does this seem like the right amount for his size and age (nearly 11 months and 12.5 kg)?

Also how will I know that he is getting all the nutrients he needs if I phase out the Burns?  Or would it be better for my peace of mind to keep one meal of complete dog food (but obviously not Burns once I've finished this pack - maybe Arden Grange or JWB) and then feed tripe one meal and Naturediet the other meal?

Sorry if all this has been said before, it's all very new to me.  I'm looking for a book for novices and have just been taking notes from the Sort of BARF thread.

Karen and Ted x
Karen and Teddy

Offline jann

• Site Member
« Reply #52 on: July 24, 2006, 02:23:33 PM »
Isn't suet actually just tripe?  No suet is the fat around the kidneys. ;)

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #53 on: July 24, 2006, 02:48:22 PM »
Thanks.  What sort of amounts should I be feeding now?  I've been working my way through all the BARF threads on COL but find them very confusing as they all talk about so many different foods.

Today Ted had about 70 g Burns for breakfast.  Then for lunch he had half a block of tripe/chicken and then half a Naturediet pack (I will give him whole packs soon, but don't want to give him huge amounts of lots of different things at once).  He'll have another meal tonight, I thought I might add some cooked pasta and carrots to some Burns and once he's used to that I might make his evening meal lamb with carrots and/or pasta or potatoes.  Does this seem like the right amount for his size and age (nearly 11 months and 12.5 kg)?

Also how will I know that he is getting all the nutrients he needs if I phase out the Burns?  Or would it be better for my peace of mind to keep one meal of complete dog food (but obviously not Burns once I've finished this pack - maybe Arden Grange or JWB) and then feed tripe one meal and Naturediet the other meal?

Sorry if all this has been said before, it's all very new to me.  I'm looking for a book for novices and have just been taking notes from the Sort of BARF thread.

Karen and Ted x

I wouldn't feed cooked pasta or potatoes - dogs don't need carbs in the same way humans do.  Also I wouldn't feed just tripe - I'd go for a variety of raw meats and make sure the majority are on the bone.  Add to the diet of raw meaty bones, raw fish, raw vegetables, raw fruit and raw eggs including the shells.  As long as you vary the types of meat they eat and give a variety of different sorts of fruit and veg, they're probably getting a balance.

Offline KarIng

• Site Member
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2006, 03:03:39 PM »

I wouldn't feed cooked pasta or potatoes - dogs don't need carbs in the same way humans do.  Also I wouldn't feed just tripe - I'd go for a variety of raw meats and make sure the majority are on the bone.  Add to the diet of raw meaty bones, raw fish, raw vegetables, raw fruit and raw eggs including the shells.  As long as you vary the types of meat they eat and give a variety of different sorts of fruit and veg, they're probably getting a balance.

Now I'm getting very confused.  I thought feeding Ted cooked pasta and potatoes would fatten him up? and feeding tripe would fatten him up too?

So would it be ok temporarily to feed him one meal of Burns until it's all gone, one meal of Naturediet (one pack) and one meal of tripe with pasta/potatoes and carrots or something similar, until he's put on a bit of weight.  Then maybe drop the pasta and potatoes and start feeding one meal of complete food, and one meal of Prizechoice frozen meat which says it contains bone and veg and one meal of Naturediet with the odd bone, raw carrot, raw egg etc thrown in as a treat.  I know this isn't BARF properly but would it be a good compromise and would he get the nutrients he needs and it be sufficient to fill him?

Sorry for any confusion.

Karen and Ted x
Karen and Teddy

Offline Claire

• Site Member
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2006, 03:10:21 PM »
Oh yes sorry if you're fattening up then do.  I forgot the title of the post!  Once he's fatter then I'd go fully raw feeding though.

Penel

« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2006, 05:05:15 PM »
Why on earth wouldn't you feed tripe Claire ?  its fabulous for dogs.

Karen - if you want to feed the three different types of meals - I would do Burns breakfast (no idea on amounts tho), then half a pack Naturediet for lunch, then half block tripe (or other raw meat) with pasta/potato for dinner.... don't feed him too much or he'll just be sick !  steady and slow is the way to get weight on him.

Offline KarIng

• Site Member
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2006, 05:08:23 PM »
Why on earth wouldn't you feed tripe Claire ?  its fabulous for dogs.

Karen - if you want to feed the three different types of meals - I would do Burns breakfast (no idea on amounts tho), then half a pack Naturediet for lunch, then half block tripe (or other raw meat) with pasta/potato for dinner.... don't feed him too much or he'll just be sick !  steady and slow is the way to get weight on him.

Thank you, will continue like that for now and see how he fares for a few weeks.

I've spent most of the afternoon reading the UK Barf Club website!  Very interesting.  They recommend adding liquidised leafy green veg and salad veg, but I'm sure I read somewhere that dogs shouldnt have lettuce or cucumber as they have upset tums afterwards.  Anyone else heard this?

Karen and Ted x
Karen and Teddy

Penel

« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2006, 10:28:07 PM »
Nope - mine regularly eat salad leftovers - in fact Lola has been known to erm climb onto the table and help herself from the salad bowl if I am sorting out the food in the kitchen  :o :005:

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #59 on: July 24, 2006, 10:29:56 PM »
Nope - mine regularly eat salad leftovers - in fact Lola has been known to erm climb onto the table and help herself from the salad bowl if I am sorting out the food in the kitchen  :o :005:

There seems to be a theme where Lola and tables are concerned  :005: :005:
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club