Author Topic: Please, please, please help me!!!!!!  (Read 3747 times)

Offline lolajays

• Site Member
  • Little miss Maudie pants and the beautiful Alice!
Re: Please, please, please help me!!!!!!
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2007, 02:37:08 PM »
Maudie at 8 months still requires company for toilet visits! Possibly because she has only been with us for 8 weeks but you know if she has to go out in the rain I guess why shouldn't I really! I have started to take little steps back while she is out there and hopefully one day I will just be able to stand on the steps and say "quick quick!" They are so funny and all have their own individualities but take your time don't let him see you upset or disappointed as this is still giving him attention although negative! Keep plugging on with it and one day you will crack it! Gwen Bailey says up to a year isn't unusual so don't for one minute think you are the only person in this situation xx
Tracey, Maudie and Alice x

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 01:48:43 PM »
Gemma

You will also find that some of Floyd's behaviour will follow the classic "extinction burst" theory - basically, they get worse before they get better, and you MUST stick with it calmly (whatever the "it" is) to get through it.  Any lapse on your part will set the whole thing back further.  The example I read to explain "extinction burst" behaviour was that you pay me £5 to clap and sing each time I see you.  So, as soon as I see you, I start to clap and sing.  One day - you don't pay up the fiver.  I'm puzzled - hey, the rules are - I clap and sing, you give me a fiver - so I clap and sing like a lunatic to try to get you to hand over the fiver.  The "like a lunatic" bit is the "extinction burst" - it's worked before, it's not working now, so I'd just better try harder.  So floyd has barked before and got attention.  One evening - it doesn't work, he's puzzled, he quietens down.  In his little lemon brain, he decides he just didn't try hard enought.  So next evening - tries harder than ever.  Ditto for the indoors pee'ing.  If you keep calm and consistent at this stage, you'll get through it.  It will dawn on him that (a) he gets ignored for barking (and really important for OH to be consistent and not let it slide) and (b) he gets attention/rewards for silence.  Don't let the "good stuff" (i.e. being quiet) go unpraised/unrewarded.  If he shuts up for a moment, praise him for being quiet.  If he's quiet for a minute - praise and treat too. 

the mistake I made with Paddy (now nearly 15 months) was not praising the good stuff (i.e. when he was quiet and undemanding) because it was "passive" good stuff - unlike pee'ing where he's supposed to, or doing a good "sit stay" on command.  Takes a while to sort it out but keep plugging away.

and get "The Culture Clash" by Jean Donaldson - it's a revelation!

Denise

Offline Gpalin

• Site Member
  • My Baby Floyd
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 01:57:29 PM »
Ahhh things seem to make sense now the penny has dropped on what Floyd is thinking  ;) . Willl keep my fingers crossed that all your advice works with my Floyd.   ::)
Gemma,gorgeous Floyd and cutey Charlie xxxxxxx
www.myspaniel.co.uk
'without a doggy in my world, life would be boring'