Author Topic: Training using Jan Fennell method?  (Read 3424 times)

Offline bexx07

• Site Member
Training using Jan Fennell method?
« on: April 05, 2007, 05:37:19 PM »
Hi there,

I would like to know if anyone has uses the techniques developed by Jan Fennel to train their dog.   

My 'Kipper' is a boy and 11months old, very sweet, affectionate and friendly like most spaniels.    He is a very willful dog and extremely smell orientated, he is dreadful on the lead as he obsessively follows his nose.   I haven't been on top of his training, I admit, and I really need to blitz him with the basics.   He is also going through his 'adolescence' and his recall is worryingly bad.   I have been researching the mind boggling amount of information on training your dog and the various techniques.   The thing with Kipper is that I think he thinks he's dominant and having read the 'Dog Listener', it did make so much sense to me.  So if anyone has anything to say about this method, has adopted it successfully or is thinking about it or has  any advice to give, then I would be interested to hear from you.

cheers!

Bex

Penel

Re: Training using Jan Fennell method?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 07:54:46 PM »
Hi there,

I would like to know if anyone has uses the techniques developed by Jan Fennel to train their dog.   

Nope I think her methods are very outdated.
Have a read of this
http://www.crosskeysbooks.com/newsdesk_info.php?newsPath=2&newsdesk_id=78

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 08:13:26 PM »
Barry Eaton makes a lot more sense to me than Jan Fennell ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 08:19:18 PM »
Barry Eaton makes a lot more sense to me than Jan Fennell ;)

Me too!

In fact I don't think you'll find anyone on here that likes Jans methods!!

Offline sarahp

• Site Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 08:20:01 PM »
Get the 'Complete Idiots guide to positive dog training' (cant remember who its by  ph34r)  or Jean Donaldsons Culture Clash - they'll do Kipper a lot more good than that  >:( bl**dy   >:( Jan  >:( Fennel  >:(  woman  >:( >:D

Can you tell I dont like her much  ph34r :005:
Sarah & The Roan Rangers - Daisy Dog & Dill Boy

The average dog has one request to all humankind. Love me

Offline Top Barks

• Site Member
    • http://www.topbarks.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 09:26:17 PM »
Don't worry most of us go through the Jan Fennel stage.
I read all her books and could not believe it when I realised that she was wrong on a great many things IMHO
the books reccomended above will give you a much more up to date view of your dogs behaviour.
Mark

Mark Sanderson BSc Hons (canine behaviour), FdSc CBT, CAP 1, CAP 2
Member of The Association Of Pet Dog Trainers (00977)

Check out my website http://www.topbarks.co.uk/  www.yorkdogtrainer.co.uk

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 09:36:54 PM »
The culture clash is a brilliant book.
I dont like jand fenel either.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline Jan/Billy

• Site Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 09:37:03 PM »
Don't worry most of us go through the Jan Fennel stage.
I read all her books and could not believe it when I realised that she was wrong on a great many things IMHO
the books reccomended above will give you a much more up to date view of your dogs behaviour.
Mark

Totally agree. Jan Fennells book was one of the first books I bought when I got Billy. Thank god for COL that taught me there were better methods  :D

Offline bexx07

• Site Member
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 10:28:24 PM »
Ok!  I didn't realise that Jan Fennell is so out of favour in the dog world (have read other threads on dog sites).   
I have ordered the Idiots Guide to dog training as many people recommend it.   Thanks for your replies so far - I really want to find out and research what method I think will work for Kipper - there are so many, its pretty confusing trying to find the best method.
The Culture Clash also seems to be highly thought of so I will read that also. 

Will report on Kippers training and progress as and when!

Bex
x

Offline Michele

• Site Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 10:34:20 PM »
Good luck with Kipper Bex, and remember whilst the books will be helpful, we're here to help in any way we can too.  :shades:  :D

Offline Helen

• helen noakes jewellery
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 11:04:01 PM »
Ok!  I didn't realise that Jan Fennell is so out of favour in the dog world (have read other threads on dog sites).   
I have ordered the Idiots Guide to dog training as many people recommend it.   Thanks for your replies so far - I really want to find out and research what method I think will work for Kipper - there are so many, its pretty confusing trying to find the best method.
The Culture Clash also seems to be highly thought of so I will read that also. 

Will report on Kippers training and progress as and when!

Bex
x

it's very confusing when there are so many opposing views - and when someone is put on a pedestal and televised then this seems to vindicate their methods.

kipper sounds like a normal adolescent cocker,  doing a bit of boundary pushing and getting 'selective' hearing.  if you tackle what you feel are his problems one by one and in small chunks then they will be more manageable and you will be less stressed, which can only help you both ;)
helen & jarvis x

Offline Joules

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2007, 08:34:39 AM »
I would certainly reccommend you consider getting a clicker to help with training - Karen Pryor has written a good simple guide to clicker training.  I recently started using it with Coco and I wish I had started earlier.  Very easy and quick results once you get the hang of it  :blink:  I agree you need to find a method that works for you and Kipper (love the name btw  :D ) and stick to it, but don't be surprised if it all takes a bit longer than you expected  ;)
Julie and Watson

Offline DennyK

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2007, 11:42:52 AM »
Bexx

I'm with the others - dominance theory (i.e. that a dog can't tell that a human isn't a dog, and so tries to dominate) is a load of old welly, frankly! 

Which "Complete Idiot's Guide" did you buy?  I ask because I came across two, one is ace (written by Pamela Dennison), one is very ho hum (don't know the author) - and the ho hum one was the one in Waterstone's on Piccadilly....Had to get the Pamela Dennison one from Amazon.

If you're only going to read and refer to two behaviour books in your life - Pamela Dennison and Jean Donaldson's "The Culture Clash" would be the ones I'd recommend without hesitation. 

Denise

Offline Tasha

• Site Member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2007, 11:57:58 AM »
I have to say I couldn't give my jan fennel book away no one wanted it :luv:

Offline happydog

• Site Member
  • Run free, my Beautiful Bella 2005-2017
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2007, 12:09:30 PM »
I have to say I couldn't give my jan fennel book away no one wanted it :luv:
If you had succeeded you wouldn't have been doing them any favours :lol: . I suggest recycling it via the shredder  :shades: .
happydog

Whatever today brings, ensure that you make some good memories