Author Topic: on his own  (Read 1956 times)

Offline dog2

• Site Member
on his own
« on: April 22, 2004, 09:54:48 AM »
I feel bad whenever i leave Benji alone at home although its never been for more than 3 hours and less.But i have to get a new job as i have a bad back and the only job I can find is in an office for 3 hours each morning.Benj always gives me such a sad look when i leave the house and i feel so bad.When I get back i will walk him as i always do.But the time is getting shorter and shorter as family commitments get more and more.Is there anything I can do to make his time alone better for him.He has the 2 cats for company.I cant leave him a kong or anything as he is on a diet and needs to reduce(I posted before about this)weight.                    

Offline cindere528

• Site Member
on his own
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 11:58:27 AM »
There's an easy answer - get him a friend  :D  There are lots of dogs out there looking for new homes.                    

Offline dog2

• Site Member
on his own
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 03:29:49 PM »
I cant afford to have 2 dogs with the 2 cats as well.I would like to have another dog otherwise but dont think my husband would feel the same.We did try having a friend for him last year and it went wrong 3 times in a row and that has put the rest of the family off another dog.Itd got to the point where i feel so sorry for him that I have even thought of giving him up to a better home,one where the people are around all day,and he could run around with another dog or dogs as he is good with other dogs.But we would be very sad to do that. :cry:                    

Offline PennyB

on his own
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 05:13:19 PM »
The time you mentioned he's on his own seems fine to me so I wouldn't worry too much. I think we forget sometimes that they are dogs and can quite happily be left on their own sometimes and probably like the peace!                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
on his own
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 05:16:50 PM »
I wouldn't rush into the decision of rehoming him. I know my dogs give me 'the look' when I'm going out but i know that once I've gone they just trot off and either play with their toys or have a sleep(and I have watched them do this through the window!).  Maybe even just try and leave the radio or tv on for him for a bit of background noise.  I must admit I don't like to think of my boys alone in a silent house  :oops:  so they have the eminem cd programmed to repeat itself over and over again until I pop home from work for one of their walks. No wonder they are nothing short of juvenile delinquents  :roll:  Maybe a bit of S Club 8 is in order :wink:                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
on his own
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2004, 06:24:20 PM »
Maybe a bit of S Club 8 is in order :wink:

What do you want to do, ruin them completely  :wink:  :D

I would think with the cats for company Benji is absolutely fine once you've gone. Three hours is an acceptable time for him to be left on his own.
You could always wedge a chunk of carrot into a kong...... mine love it as its quite a challenge to get it back out, and of course it'd be non fattening too.
Like Gill, I always leave the radio on for mine when I go out..... but not Eminem  :roll:
Don't feel too bad, I bet as soon as you've gone he settles down to sleep, especially if you can give him a walk (even a quick 10 mins) before you go  :)                    

Offline Hel

• Site Member
on his own
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2004, 06:50:56 PM »
As he's not chewing or damaging anything, the chances are he just falls asleep when you are out and doesn't give you a second thought.

Cockers are born knowing the perfect 'how can you leave me' look.

Fletch does it better than any cocker I have known, regardless of whether Pip is with him or he is one his own - he sits and just looks at me as I leave with 'that' look.  He then immediately goes upstairs, on to my bed and falls asleep.  If I come back 5 mins later (having forgotten something), he is fast asleep.                    

Offline dog2

• Site Member
on his own
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2004, 10:00:15 PM »

How true that is..he looks so sad that i feel really bad.I will leave the radio on for him as i have to go in tomorrow.When i got back today he was so thrilled to see me and brought me a shoe as usual and so we went out straight away for an hours walk.I was shattered by the time i got back and had to do the shopping at tea time as no time left then a second walk after tea.Really hectic and dont know how long i will be able to keep it up for. :?                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
on his own
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 09:37:23 AM »

How true that is..he looks so sad that i feel really bad.I will leave the radio on for him as i have to go in tomorrow.When i got back today he was so thrilled to see me and brought me a shoe as usual and so we went out straight away for an hours walk.I was shattered by the time i got back and had to do the shopping at tea time as no time left then a second walk after tea.Really hectic and dont know how long i will be able to keep it up for. :?

dog2,

don't be so hard on yourself, I am quite sure Benji enjoyed his hour walk and was probably to tired to go out himself anyway :D do try and make time for yourself have you thought of shopping online? and having it delivered when convenient for you. Chill and enjoy your walks and if hubby and the kids have to have beans on toast for tea it won't kill them :wink:

Michelle                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
on his own
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 10:51:18 AM »
I used to beat myself up about leaving my dogs too.  The look they give you when you go is heartbreaking.  But they're just trying it on.  I rush home at lunch time to see them because I think they're pining for me and you know what?  They're curled up asleep on the sofa and I have to wake them up!  They yawn as if to say 'Oh hi, you're back then?'  :roll:

Benji more than likely curls up in a ball and sleeps the whole time you're out.  Are you able to leave him with a rawhide type of chew?  Although he doesn't sound bored because he's not being destructive.

Try not to worry too much.

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline dog2

• Site Member
on his own
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 03:30:23 PM »
I know i do worry about him too much.there is another lady at work who has a dog,she leaves the back door open and the neighbour keeps an eye.But everyone went for a drink at lunchtime(a regular Friday thing apparently and I would like to join in) but i said no because i needed to get back for Benj and the other lady went for a drink so her dog wont see her all day now.I do half day and she does all day.Some people dont seem to mind though.Thanks for all your advice.I took him straight out today and the sun was shining and this evening my daughter and i are going to take him for an hour.Its not so bad in this weather but when its dark,cold and wet again it will be hard to fit everything in,you dont know my husband,beans on toast would not go down at all well!(no offence meant)!He,s not that keen on dog ownership at all so i have to keep him sweet.I dont think i would worry so much if Benji wasnt overweight as its extra important he gets his exercise.Oh for a life where I didnt have to go to work at all. :roll:                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
on his own
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 04:30:21 PM »
I think a sudden change for a dog can be stressful. Benji sounds like he is well adjusted to you leaving him for shortish periods of time.  I am at home most of the time therefore when Brogan was 9 weeks old I made a point of leaving him at home for school and nursery runs - separation has never been an issue with him as he has never known any different.  I didn't want a dog with anxiety.  Brogan is left up to an absolute maximum of 4 hours - our comings and goings are natural for him - as they seem to be for Benji.  

I think sometimes we worry about the time we spend with our  dogs - quality is just as important and doesn't have to take up hours. A quick game of ball or similar while the kettle boils, while the veg simmers etc can be as rewarding as a stroll round the park - then chaos passes and normality can resume!   :wink:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline Laura

• Site Member
on his own
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 02:47:58 AM »
Michelle

your beans on toast tea made me laugh - I asked my OH the other day if he wanted some toast - later that night he shook his head at me when he discovered that that was our tea done and dusted!!! :D  :twisted:

Don't do it often but I was put on this earth to make everyone else feel human!   :wink:                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09

Offline watermelon0719

• Site Member
on his own
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 03:25:47 AM »
I feel bad about leaving my puppy (1 year) alone, too, although he does have my cat at home to play with if he gets bored. However, like most of the other posters have said, he just sleeps while I am gone! He has the most soulful eyes, and everytime I say goodbye in the morning, it just breaks my heart! But coming home is always so much fun that I don't worry about it too much. You shouldn't rehome your dog - if he isn't engaging in any destructive behavior and seems happy when you're home, chances are he's just taking a three hour nap while you're gone.  :P                    

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
on his own
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2004, 09:12:09 AM »
Michelle

your beans on toast tea made me laugh - I asked my OH the other day if he wanted some toast - later that night he shook his head at me when he discovered that that was our tea done and dusted!!! :D  :twisted:

Don't do it often but I was put on this earth to make everyone else feel human!   :wink:

Laura,

It's not a common meal in our house either but if I have had a busy day and hubby can't be bothered cooking for himself then beans on toast or a cheese and ham toastie is what is served :twisted: and yes he does look pathetic and miserable (hubby not dog) but we both work and we both look after our daughter and dog so why should I be only one who can find the kitchen. :?

Michelle