Should I buy a dog now or wait?

Yes
6 (27.3%)
No
11 (50%)
Maybe
5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Cocker Crazy  (Read 4096 times)

Offline Dexter and Davinia

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« on: April 22, 2004, 09:05:35 PM »
I am a 21 year old undergraduate female and eternal dog lover. I always had dogs growing up in Nigeria (West Africa) and I have waited a good 6 -7 years since coming in the UK, to feel ready to adopt a dog again.

I love this forum because you guys are so vocal about how much you love your cocker doggies and I don't at all feel cookie about my longstanding, passionate yearning for a dog when I read your posts. So I know you guys will give me the best advice.

I recently came to the conclusion that I was ready to adopt a dog. I did alot of online research about owning dogs including long term financial costs, travelling abroad with dogs (something I will definately be doing a lot of in the future), caring for dogs on a day to day basis and research into a breed of dog that matches my life style e.g. living in busy cities (London), living in a flat, no being too noisy, easily transportable, sturdy and can withstand a fairly active lifestyle with lots of change and new experiences, intelligent and easy to train, fairly reasonable grooming requirements, little shedding, friendly and loving. I fell in love with the cocker spaniel.

Please, please, please advice if you think that I am leaving any important considerations out of my decision to get a puppy! As an undergraduate, I won't be in school all day and I know I would take the dog with me whenever I could (I want to get it used to new environments from a young age). I am planning to work and travel as a freelance journalist when I finish my degree which again means flexibility of time. But I will have to travel alot - is this cruel for the dog or would it, if properly trained, come to love travel like me? :? I am also going to move to a house which I will be sharing with 2 female friends of mine, who are happy to help support me in caring for the dog (although they are not massive dog lovers), it will most likely have a garden but even if we got a flat, there is a lot of green in the area with are moving to, so a park would be easy to find.

Some friends have suggested I wait and not get it now, but my question is when is the time ever perfect to get a dog? I don't see my life ever being ideal in the sense that I will always have things going on, but the point to me seems to be how ready a person is to make a commitment to a dog. And not a commitment for right now - while my life is right - while  I can accommodate one - while things continue to fit the ideal dog family picture - this to me is the fundamental fault in this line of thinking. Shouldn't the emphasis pressed to a potential dog owner be - Don't get a dog until you are ready to make the necessary changes, adjustments and accommodations to fit one into your life as it is now and in all the different ways that life can unexpectedly change?

I know that a dog would be a life long companion for me, one that I would appreciate having in the rather lonely world of travel and writing. I feel ready for one now, and don't personally see what there is to gain in me waiting. But I understand that my thinking may be biased by my desire for a dog, so I hand the decision over to you guys to make.

I am running a poll for 100 days. I will be ready to buy my pup in August 2004, you guys please decide for me whether you think I should get one or wait. Remebering that the price if you get it wrong would be one more homeless dog in a shelter, but if you get it right ...  :mrgreen:

Thank you! Please help!                    
Me - Davinia, and Dexter...my dog?

Offline *Jay*

• Donator
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2004, 10:26:00 PM »
I was going to wait and go with the majority  :wink:  but I would think, based on your post, that there wouldn't be a problem with you getting a dog.  But then I have 3 when some people say i shouldn't have any :roll:  I work full-time at the moment but my dogs can come to work with me at any time and I pop home periodically during the day to nip them over to the park.  I live in a flat albeit a large one and my dogs probably get just as much if not more exercise as dogs who have access to a garden. Like you will have, I have a few big parks walking distance and the woods and beach are just a short drive away. So just beacause you won't be at home all day every day, I don't see why you can't adopt a dog if you are prepared for the commitment that they need - and I think it sounds like you are and you have thought long and hard about it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.                    
Dallas ( 10) & Disney ( 9 )

Playing at the Bridge: Brook (13/06/04), Jackson (23/12/05) & Vegas (14/07/10)

Offline Michele

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2004, 10:55:00 PM »

I am planning to work and travel as a freelance journalist when I finish my degree which again means flexibility of time. But I will have to travel alot - is this cruel for the dog or would it, if properly trained, come to love travel like me? :?

Hi there and welcome to COL  :D
You certainly have looked into this with great depth, and the above quote is my only concern.
I would say it depends on what type of journalism you want to do, as this would determine whether the dog could or should come with you. If you are intending to work within the UK (or even Europe for that matter with all the appropriate vaccinations, passport etc.) taking a dog with you shouldn't be a problem... you can usually find accomodation that is dog friendly.

But, and this is the big but, what if your job took you further afield? With quarantine still in place for non European countries, it would be extremely unfair on a dog to have this prospect each time you returned. Also whilst you are working would the dog be able to be with you, as confining it in a strange place would be, in my view very unfair.
One final comment, if you go ahead and get a dog I think it should be neutered whatever sex it is, so you don't have the complications of seasons, or bitches on heat and a male dog wanting to roam  :wink:

A very interesting topic and I shall watch this one with interest.  :D                    

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2004, 11:14:11 PM »
I have the same reservations as Michele - a lifestyle where you will be required at short notice to travel may not be compatible with owning a dog. Whilst it is possible to travel with a dog, you would have to think what you would do with your dog while you're working - sure there are hotels etc which accept dogs but you couldn't leave a dog in a hotel room while you worked & in summer, you could not leave a dog in your car so where would he/she go? I'm not saying it's impossible but it aint gonna be easy :wink: I think this is a decision you have to make for yourself - you cannot really ask others to make it for you although you'll get plenty of opinions I'm sure :lol:                    
Jane

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2004, 11:47:50 PM »
Hello there and welcome to the board :)

I have mixed opinions on this one :?  I take fully on board what Michele and Jane have said, and these are issues that cannot be ignored, which I am sure you wouldn't do anyway, or you wouldn't have taken the time to post :wink:

Taking a dog on, is a huge decision and we can all clearly see you are looking deep enough it, and admire you for that 8)  So many other ppl jump in first and think later :x  

Ok here goes with my two penneth .............. I think that perhaps you should hold off, until you know exactly, how your job situation is going to affect your life! You may find it extremely hard work yourself with the travelling and meeting deadlines etc  and although it sounds great on paper, it may become a real bind having to cart a dog with you on your working assignments :?   Its good that your friends have said they will support you, however, how long can you rely on these friends being there for?  Sorry if this sounds harsh, its not meant to I am just trying to be practical :)   It is possible to have dogs and work full time, although its not ideal, you need very reliable sources of help, you basically have to think of the dog like a child, thats how big the commitment is when you take a dog on, even more so with a rescue, as the last thing the dog needs is to be taken back to the rescue centre :roll:   But with the potential travelling involved with your career, this is only going to exagerate things to a higher level.  

Have you considered short term fostering instead? For when you are home?  Its just an idea for you think about :?  :)   It could be the answer, or maybe not :?

Let us know what you decide :)                    

Offline PennyB

Cocker Crazy
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 01:55:44 AM »
From my own experience of 20 years of house sharing I've found that you cannot rely on housemates to help look after your pets if they are not as mad about the type of pet as you. I rented for a long time and was only allowed to have cats. I was in the same house for quite a while so saw a number of housemates come and go and each time they always said they were cat lovers but I soon began to realise that there are cat lovers and then there are cat lovers and I think this also applies to dogs (and probably even more so). My housemates should've really said they tolerate cats and that was about it when it actually came to living with them (my cats are friendly people cats with heaps of character). You have to really consider the needs of the dog.

For starters a cocker needs regular off lead exercise per day come rain or shine which is a hell of commitment to people who aren't massive dog lovers no matter how cute the dog is—it isn't fair on the dog or the housemates to expect any less than this. If you're away would your housemates really want to always come home straight after work to see to your dog when they've been given the option of a drink after work and maybe something else whatever.

If and when I go away for short periods now there are only a very very small handful of people I would leave either of mine with (2!) and they are committed cocker owners themselves who can live with the various cocker quirks in the way I can. Either that or they go in kennels.                    
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 09:07:13 AM »
Hmm a difficult one this one! I would consider myself an animal lover....but I am now 36 and have just bought my first pooch. I needed to wait until I knew my life had settled down a little bit and that I was prepared to give up the time a little doggie needs. I part own a house and share it with 4 very very good friends and we all love animals! If anyone of them were not as committed as me then I think we would have not got the dogs (we have 2, a cocker and westie) as all people in the house have to be prepared to give up time for them. Cockers particularly are gregarious dpgs and love people....I am not sure that mine would enjoy a life that MAY mean she doesn't me for a few days...(maybe she would but we always try to make sure that one or two of us are around).
Dogs need lots of exercise off lead every day...they need company. They like regularity and routine and ours get moody if circumstances mean their routine has change. Also you are still young and when the doggy isn't a cute puppy anymore and your work opportunites are greater and your ambition grows what happens then? The dog could become a weight around your neck and your career!! I don't want to sound harsh but I think you need to think that the dog could be with you for 15 years plus...are you prepared to give up a portion of your life between aug 2004 and 2010 to devote it to your dog?
Best wishes in whatever you decide
Jane. Jessie the cocker, Saffi the westie and Mylo the persian cat!                    

Offline Mike

• Retired!
  • Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 09:23:20 AM »
Good points from everyone and I hope they help you reach your decision :D

Personally, I think I would probably advise you to wait until you have this lifestyle you plan - see the extent of your travelling and how a dog might fit in to this, also, from past experience in my own uni and post-uni days, sharing a house with your best friends can sometimes be an absolute  recipe for disaster, so see how that goes too :lol:                    

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 09:28:26 AM »
As the others have said, I admire you for putting so much thought into this  :wink: At the end of the day no one but you can say yes or no, but seen as you asking for opinions...here's mine  :)

I would say no  :?  why?? well I just think at 21 you have a few decent years ahead of you without any ties, and a dog is a tie, just like a baby. Could you imagine having a baby now??
I can totally understand your desire to have a cocker or any other dog  :wink: You have a career ahead of you and it sounds like you are not completely sure what the future holds for you with regards travelling etc. I think you should wait and see what you make of your career first. Why don't you consider voluntary work with a local animal shelter in your spare time? I'm sure there must be plenty in your area. That way you can devote your love to animals until the time is right for you.
Whatever you decide I wish you the best  :)                    

Offline speedyjaney

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 09:30:13 AM »
the dog could be with you for 15 years plus...are you prepared to give up a portion of your life between aug 2004 and 2010 to devote it to your dog?

DOH - I meant to say 2020!!!                    

Offline Loraine

• Site Member
    • http://
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2004, 10:43:53 AM »
I completely understand your obsession with wanting to get a dog and a cocker at that!  I think it's admirable that you are giving it so much thought and consideration.

I was wondering if you knew any other freelance journalists who have dogs that you could talk to.  Find out how they manage and what the drawbacks/highlights are.

My feeling is that you should see how you get on with your new job first and then see how a dog would fit in - if at all.  If you get the dog, fall in love with it and then find that you have to give it up, it will break your heart, trust me.

Please let us know how you get on.

Loraine  :)                    
Loraine and Candy xxxx

Offline bluesmum

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2004, 10:51:38 AM »
I'm afraid I'm going to say no too :(

Purely because although I admire the fact that you have obviously done all your research, you are obviously not 100% sure yourself about owning a dog otherwise you would not have posted here for our opinon and want to put the responsibility of (in your own words)" one more homeless dog in a shelter" onto us!

As the others have said I feel it would be far better for you wait, it is so obvious that you have a love of dogs and one day when you are in a better position to give one a home then I think that that dog will be very lucky to have you as an owner :wink:  :D                    
Maria, Blue & Bailey. xx

Offline Dexter and Davinia

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2004, 01:24:09 PM »
Thank you all for your replies so far. I am not happy obviously about what your opinions boil down to, in fact I am quite sad :cry: . But I know this is exactly the sort of stuff I need to hear before I take any action. While I know what I want - a dog, it is just my nature to seek really good criticisms or varying points of view about big decisions in my life.

Please keep your comments and thoughts coming, maybe a few more with ideas of how I can make my situation work with a dog  :lol:  

Thanks again!                    
Me - Davinia, and Dexter...my dog?

Offline TOPAZ BILLY

• Site Member
  • De Girls!
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2004, 01:52:11 PM »
Sorry Davinia,

I agree with the majority, you really need to get your life settled first before you take on a dog, a dog can live for about 15 years and unlike a child they will always be dependant on you. You are about to embark on an exciting and unsettling career who knows what you will encounter or where you will be sent. You could end up with a dog that has to spend half its life in and out of kennels.  

Michelle                    

Offline Laura

• Site Member
Cocker Crazy
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2004, 03:39:58 PM »
I'm afraid that I also would recommend you wait a while - see what your future career/path has in store for you.  Waiting doesn't have to mean forever.  Even with no career this is the first time that I have been settled enough time to devote a lot of time, training, etc to a puppy. (Hubby saying no until now helped with my impatience - have to admit he was right making me wait - shh don't tell him I said that) :roll:

By far my pup is more tying than my children are.  Unfortunately a lot of people don't like dogs, are scared of dogs or have no good experiences of dogs and considerate owners  - this limits greatly the places that they are allowed - complicating travel plans and social arrangements!

On the other side of the arguement though - with commitment, sacrifice, thought and forward planning you can make anything work - and having a dog is truly a fantastic experience.  Would you be prepared to put your dog before your job?  There will be times when you will have to do this.  Putting your wants aside - do you hand on heart feel that you can offer a dog - a lifestyle it will be happy with for the forseeable future?

I do not envy your decision.  Sometimes the more advise you are given the more blurry the picture becomes - I also get the feeling that you have doubts yourself at the moment?

Good luck with your new dog whether this year or in the future.  :D                    
Laura x

Run free together boys. Missing you both xx
Bailey  29/04/04 - 16/03/11
Brogan 29/07/03 - 22/10/09