Author Topic: Very Unsettled  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Very Unsettled
« on: August 22, 2004, 03:06:25 AM »
Morning/Evening...   Not sure what time it is...

For the last couple of nights Jazz has been really unsettled.. during the day and at night.  I have put her in her crate to sleep and she has started crying very loudly !! I have left her for as long as i could bear as she seems to be getting very worked up, and ened up bring her up to the bedroom, which i know is bad. This will not continue, but I was wondering if anyone things its a sigh of coming into season.  ( I hope its just a phase as sleeping with me isn't working out as I am very light sleeper, and everytime she stirs it wakes me up and I turn and get paraniod i have to let her out. She is 8.5 months old.  

The only other thing that has chnaged recently is that now when I go to work she has the run of the house, instead of being in her crate. She is as good as gold when i leave her, she is clean and doesn't chew, and i have had no comments from the neighbours about her being loud.

Even when she lays next to me its only about 3 mins before shes up again and turning around for another position.  I do not want this habit to form.

Alan just got a taxi back to his house ( 2.30 am) as she can't settle and we can't sleep, and he shouted at her to be quiet, which obviously didn't work... has never worked on me.. :P  SO i shouted at him to shut up , and not shout at her.. etc...
During this row Jazz just lay on the bed looking at me, as if to tell us both to shut up she was trying to sleep.

Anyway.. before I start shutting her back in the kitchen, does anyone have any thoughts or suggestions as to what it may be. We have gone to bed later than normal, so she has had long sleps on the sofa..

I had wondered if it was because Alan came round, but shes used to this as well, and he or me put her to bed.

Cathy :wacko:

CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Very Unsettled
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 09:25:20 AM »
Hi Cathy, it might be because she's coming in season. When you say she keeps getting up and turning around,evrey couple of minutes,  it realy sounds to me, as though something is bothering her.
Has she hurt herself at all, i would give her a good checking over, just in case.  
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Very Unsettled
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 10:12:22 AM »
It doesn't sound like it's anything to do with your change of routine and letting her have free run of the house.

It sounds like something is constantly disturbing her in the fact that she cannot settle.  It may be her season is imminent but I'm not the voice of experience on that :rolleyes:

Like Barb suggested, I'd give her a check over to see if she is in pain anywhere :(   Don't know quite what else it could be :unsure:  
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Very Unsettled
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 07:10:55 PM »
Hi Cathy

How is Jazz today?  It could be a sign of her coming into season, Indie did the twirling around in circles thing, before she came in!  Also she would get up and down a lot and generally looked a bit fed up.  

Let us know how you get on with her!

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Very Unsettled
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 10:52:28 PM »
Ok I am now at my wits end.

Everynight this week, I have had an hour of barking and very loud crying. I have complained recently about the neighbours noise and am getting really worried they are going to start complaining about Jazz.

I am sure shes just trying to get her own way, but don't understand why now its just started. I was really worried last night as it went on for ages and i started to panick incase she was ill, but when i went down to her, she just ran upstairs and jumped on the bed and curled up a sleep in about 20 ses flat. This makes me more annoyed, so i put her back downstairs she cried for another 20 mins and went quiet.

She wasn't this bad when she first came home.

Shes started having the run of the house during the day, which I wonder if is  part of the problem, shes had the run of the house for 4 weeks, and this only started last week.

Please can anyone help, i am going insane !!
CATHY

'A dog may be the only opportunity a human has to choose a relative.' -- Mordecai Siegal

Offline Magic Star

• Site Member
Very Unsettled
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 11:21:41 PM »
Ok I am now at my wits end.

Everynight this week, I have had an hour of barking and very loud crying. I have complained recently about the neighbours noise and am getting really worried they are going to start complaining about Jazz.

I am sure shes just trying to get her own way, but don't understand why now its just started. I was really worried last night as it went on for ages and i started to panick incase she was ill, but when i went down to her, she just ran upstairs and jumped on the bed and curled up a sleep in about 20 ses flat. This makes me more annoyed, so i put her back downstairs she cried for another 20 mins and went quiet.

She wasn't this bad when she first came home.

Shes started having the run of the house during the day, which I wonder if is  part of the problem, shes had the run of the house for 4 weeks, and this only started last week.

Please can anyone help, i am going insane !!
Oh dear Cathy!!

It could be a type of clingy phase shes going through??  Is she fine in the day?

scoobie

Very Unsettled
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2004, 10:14:17 AM »
Cathy I have just read this and you sound so desperate that I felt I had to respond am sorry that I haven't got any advice except what barb,Mary and Emma suggested other than are you worried over something(apart from jazz) I mean was something troubling you before this? animals are very tuned in to us and just wondered..and maybe now a viscious circle has formed just a thought
anyway I truly hope she settles back down to her old self
Edith

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Very Unsettled
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 10:33:32 AM »
It sounds to me as if something has unnerved her :unsure:   Just wondering whether she'd heard a noise such as fireworks one night (or something that disturbed her) and now associates going to bed with that :unsure:

She's fine during the day Kathy?
Mary & Lottie x

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Very Unsettled
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 12:54:29 PM »
Hi Cathy, why don't  you try leaving the radio on low for her, that might help, at least its worth giving it a try.

Have you got any new white goods recently, if you have it could be the noise she doesn't like. Like Mary has said, i think something has unerved, and she's loooking for reasurance.

I'm not sure what else to suggest,  if it was me, i think i would let her sleep upstairs, although i know thats not what you want,  at least you wouldn't be so stressed.  :)
* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Very Unsettled
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 03:37:21 PM »
Hi,

During the day she seems fine, she runs about plays, picks up everything she shouldn't. She does sleep alot during the day and early evening. The only thing she seems to do during the day is cry if shes in a different room, at something she wants but can't reach.( like toliet rolls or if she thinks there is food anywhere she will sit barking and crying at it) This I assume if normal behaviour for a greedy dog.   sometimes she does seem very clingly during the day, and wants to sit near me or on me. I give her some cuddles and attention, but also make sure i ignore her when she gets like it as well, she doesn't always expect to do whatever she wants. She is very destructive with her own toys but again at  81 /2 months I would expect this as well.  I haven't changed her routine as far as walks or food are concerned. She still humps my arm as much as she can, and runs around the house like whirlwind at least 4 times a day.  Looking back she has been more clingly  and trys to jump on me all the time, and paw me. I have found myself telling her No more often, and she looks put out and hurt, but I am not going to fall for the 'cocker blackmail look'.. I keep saying no, and moving her away then she edges her way back over to me gently until shes curled up next to me with her head resting on my leg and looking at me hurt. Shes even tried climbing over the back of the sofa, thinking won't notice her approach, and put her head on my shoulders, whilst trying to make eye contact. The min i make contact with her she jumps on my face both front legs over my shoulders, and gets me in this head lock, and starts to bite me nose and lick my face.  I can deal with all this (if its normal) just not the night time behaviour. I just pull her off don't say anything until shes playing on her own with toys, then i make a fuss of her.

I can't help think shes either getitng used to having the run of house and doesn't like being in the kitchen at night now, or shes coming into season.

She does seem to have started licking me all the time.

I donot really want her in the bedroom at night.. but would occasionally, but this wouldn't be fair on her and Alan will not have her in the bedroom when he stays as she jumps on his face and barks in his ear...  :D   (must be his moustach)

I haven't been feeling great myself for the last few weeks, but have been ill before and am still ill during the day, so not sure about a connection with that.

There have been the odd fireworks going off at night time, and i was nervious about it, but each time i loked at her, she was sleep, and only lifted her head once and went back to sleep again while they were still going off. Again this is something thats been going on for longer than the week.

CATHY

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
Very Unsettled
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2004, 03:51:51 PM »
You are not terribly well so you don't need a battle.

Let her sleep in your room but not on your bed. Let her settle in some dirty laundry - our two love our worn clothes!  <_<

Be strict about the bed though. Talk to her a bit. Give her a chew stick to alleviate boredom, give her a cushion. She won't be alone so she shouldn't cry but you don't have to have her wriggling and writhing. The floor is fine.

She could be anxious about you, that's true.
Best wishes.  :)  

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
    • http://
Very Unsettled
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2004, 10:38:22 PM »
oh sweetie you are having a tough time of it, im not sure if you mentioned if she was in a crate if she isnt i would consider it and try to train her to make that her bed and you could always have the crate in your room. Have you heard of the D.A.P diffuser? its a plug in you plug in the wall for dogs ( a bit like the smelly air fresher ones  :D ) what it does is it releases dog appeasing pheremones like the ones the puppies mother  realeses to calm down her pups in the eary days. It works for some peoples dogs and it certainly worked for our basset who had a seperation disorder, you can get these from your vets mine cost about £25 but that was a few years ago now so not sure how much they are now. Another thing you can try is rescue remedy its flower remedies all in a little bottle and you can add a few drops to the water and it helps calm you buy it in the health food shops thats about £5 a bottle and the good thing is you can have it aswell lol.
Good luck i know its horrible listening to them crying its unbearable but im sure it will be fine in the end.

dillydolly  :)  

Offline Cathy

• Site Member
Very Unsettled
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2004, 12:05:39 AM »
Hopefully these problems I had are now at an end.  For the last 2 nights Jazz has gone to bed quietly, back in her crate in the kitchen. I haven't heard a peep.

Following my last post, she cried and wined for exactly 20 mins, then stopped.

I don't know what the problem was, unless she was jsut trying it on to come up to bed with me. I am glad I was firm.

Thanks for your posts.

Cathy
CATHY

Offline Tracey J

• Site Member
Very Unsettled
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2004, 06:47:10 AM »
Hi Cathy

Glad Jazz seems to be coming through her little 'phase'.  Take care of yourself, and I hope you feel better really soon.
Tracey, Molly &  little brother Brodie!

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Very Unsettled
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2004, 11:34:47 PM »
 :D
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais