Author Topic: What Am I Doing Wrong!  (Read 1473 times)

Offline elliesmum

• Site Member
    • http://
What Am I Doing Wrong!
« on: August 24, 2004, 03:42:12 AM »
I have a 9month female gold cocker and I am concerned about certain behaviours. She feels she 'owns me' and will growl at any one that approaches me (including family members)She is also like this with bones and food. She is very good with commands from all members of the family and generally does what she is told. She is quite a dominent dog. Lately she has been barking and growling at anything that walks past our property and I cant get her to settle. She is OK with other dogs but not very social. She is the first dog we have ever owned and i feel I am to blame for some of her 'problems' as we didnt really know what we were doing. She is so sweet and we love her to death but there is a side of her that worries me and I need to get it sorted before too long

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
What Am I Doing Wrong!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 06:40:47 AM »

Offline PennyB

What Am I Doing Wrong!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 09:12:02 AM »
I have a cocker just like this or she would be if I let her.

Have you thought of going to see a good 1-2-1 trainer especially as this is your 1st dog sometimes its useful for someone to point out what may be obvious but we just can't see it.

You need to nip this in the bud now especially the guarding of yourself as that can get out of hand.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

scoobie

What Am I Doing Wrong!
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 09:34:22 AM »
Hi Elliesmum
Great advice from Penny and Toohey..can I also ask what are you feeding her as diet plays a major part in behaviour I know this from experience with my own cocker ;) I use the NILIF and I know it sounds regimental but it isn't he still gets loads of cuddles and fuss but on my terms if he had his way I would be fussing him morning till night <_< cockers are cute in every way and they can twist you around there little paws to get their own way. It's all about leadership and this doesn't mean that I boss him around telling him to sit stay wait etc I don't do that ..everything he wants he has learnt that he can only get things through me e.g to go out for a wee he is asked to sit before I open the door just a simple request not an order if you think about it what can your dog do for herself? and what do you do for her absolutely everything so why not take advantage of it in a kind and loving way.
 you need all the family members to co-operate otherwise it won't work If you need any help just ask and we will help you on COL because like you say it sounds as if things are starting to get out of hand a little and I know what it's like I've been there and it's not until you have a dog like that you appreciate any kind of help I have had one to onetraining for scoobie and the trainers are very good also clicker training is brill too ;) I don't want to sound like a know it all cos I aint ;) I have learnt through experience and it's very hard when it's your first dog and we are not all blessed with a text book dog
good luck and keep in touch and let us know how your doing
Edith

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
What Am I Doing Wrong!
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 09:39:45 AM »
Definitely seek training help!  :)

1. It is known that solid colours (especially golden) are more prone to challenging behaviour so get help.
2. She's your first dog. Get help. Dog psychology.
3. Remove her food bowl after a couple of mouthfuls. Then give it back after a minute. Warn her that you are going to take it by speaking and sliding your hands along her back to her head.
4. A food-possessive dog can turn nasty. Nip it in the bud.
5. I'm so glad I went to dog classes even though JB isn't my first.
6. Well done for realising there's a problem and being prepared to do something about it. YOU have to be pack leader. My dog showed signs of dominance early on. Once you're aware of it you can rectify it. You HAVE to be the boss. They are only dependent children after all.

You'll sort it!  :D
You'll get all the advice and support you need.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
What Am I Doing Wrong!
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 10:00:18 AM »
Remove her food bowl after a couple of mouthfuls. Then give it back after a minute...
Whilst I agree totally that Ellie should seek help from an experienced trainer, I'm afraid I don't agree with this advice as it could make a food possessive dog even worse! If a dog thinks his food is going to be taken away at any time, then it could make him want to guard it even more. Far better to modify your dog's behaviour by associating a human's presence with food being added to the bowl a little at a time rather than taken away. There is a good book available on resource guarding called "Mine: A Practical Guide to Resource Guarding In Dogs" by Jean Donaldson. It's not widely available yet in the UK but is worth looking out for.

Jane
Jane

Offline PennyB

What Am I Doing Wrong!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2004, 10:28:05 AM »
I'd also disagree that solids are more prone to challenging behaviours as I've seen it in all dogs of all colours.

I think sadly we are often part of the problem and are often the ones who need training in the 1st place (and I think we'll all put our hands up to that one). Dogs are dogs and we have to think dog.

A good 1-2-1 trainer with experience in  behavioural problems may be able to help you address all these issues as would a animal behaviourist which you need to ask your vet about—it will be worth the expense (and the latter may be covered by insurance as a friends was when their dog's behaviour changed after they go the new baby as dog was no longer the centre of attention).
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline elliesmum

• Site Member
What Am I Doing Wrong!
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2004, 12:36:36 AM »
:)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)  :)

A really BIG thank you to all that have replied to Ellie's problem. Your advise has been so helpful and I have taken all on board...and I thought raising children was challenging!!!!
I will let you know how things pan out. Thanks again.

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
What Am I Doing Wrong!
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2004, 01:08:37 PM »
another thing i was taught by my trainer with regards to food possesiveness is before you feed your dog place a plate inside the foodbowl and put something you can eat on the plate eat it and let your dog see that you are sharing its food, then when you have finished let your dog have its dinner. Maybe you can hand feed your dog i was encouraged to do this  so the dog knows you have total control of his food, its an awful thing to go through and its frightening when its your first dog and the dog growls at you. Our previous dog would growl at me until i gave him his food he even chased me once, i never used to take his food bowl away from him as a puppy this behaviour just started by itself. My trainer said if he growls really bad whilst i had his food bowl in my hand ready to be fed throw the food in the bin and let the dog see that you have and walk away and ignore the dog. When i did that it seemed to help sort it out slowly i eventually got him to sit while he waited for his food and i put the bowl on the floor told him to leave it and then said ok and then was allowed his food. It will take time and lots of patience but consult a behaviourist and see what they say.

good luck dillydolly  :)  

Offline Jaljen

• Site Member
What Am I Doing Wrong!
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2004, 03:45:23 PM »
The last point is good.

Dog must sit before feeding. Sit and wait for word of command is best. It's all part of the "nothing in life is free" philosophy posted on other threads.

But you do have to be the boss. I had to take Lotty's bowl away yesterday because we had forgotten the wormer which she needs daily at the moment. She trusts us so she doesn't fuss.

Also there are times when they get hold of things they shouldn't and you have to know you can remove them from their mouths.

Try this - get the food ready with dog out of the kitchen. Put her on the lead and bring her in. Ask her to sit. Reward her with treat. Tell her down if she knows that. Reward. Put your foot on the lead so she can't escape or jump up. Then praise her, reach for her bowl, say "Dinner" and let her eat.  :rolleyes: