Author Topic: Dogs And Postmen!  (Read 1278 times)

Offline charlie771

• Site Member
    • http://
Dogs And Postmen!
« on: August 30, 2004, 11:18:10 PM »
Hello everyone,
I thought this might be the best place for my topic.
I'm trying to find out why some dogs hate postmen so much  :angry:. Me and my boyfriend both deliver mail, and most of the dogs on our deliveries go so mad when we walk up the garden paths, that by the time we reach the letterbox they are there ready and waiting!!
Is it that we are on there territory?
Is the red mail bag that we carry?
Maybe it's our uniform?  :lol:
There was a time I saw one of the dogs on my delivery when I was in my normal clothes and he didn't batter an eyelid. But when I'm in my Royal Mail uniform he wants to take my hand off in the letterbox!!

Maybe there is someone out there that knows how a dogs mind works and could shed some light on this topic?

Thanks alot  :)  
Nicky and Charlie

Offline Colin

• Administrator
  • Stevie
    • Jimmy Misty & Stevie Videos
Dogs And Postmen!
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 11:53:05 PM »
I can't speak for anyone else but I trained Jimmy and Misty to hate the postman by showing them videos of Postman Pat whilst shouting "bad man, kill, kill kill". Just my small protest for all the bills and junk mail I receive every day. :D

I think the real reason dogs hate postmen is , as you say, territorial. Out of the blue this stranger they never see invades their home by popping strangethings through the door and the dog feels threatened. The dog barks and the threat goes away, the dog thinks "result, I did that !" so does it every time in the future, protecting his territory from the unseen enemy.

I know someone with a Cocker/Springer cross (also called Jimmy) who got the postman to deliver the mail each day for a while wrapped in clingfilm with a treat on the outside for the dog. This was partly so Jimmy would look forward to the mail arriving each day without going crazy but the owner also gradually introduced new stages and eventually the dog learnt to bring him the mail while he was in bed each morning. B)  He does the same with the newspaper too.

Offline Shirley

• Site Member
Dogs And Postmen!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 12:12:20 AM »
I can't speak for anyone else but I trained Jimmy and Misty to hate the postman by showing them videos of Postman Pat whilst shouting "bad man, kill, kill kill". Just my small protest for all the bills and junk mail I receive every day. :D

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
Shirley, Morgan and Cooper
Morgan's Page                                  Videos of my boys

Offline Luvly

• Site Member
Dogs And Postmen!
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 01:12:25 AM »
 :lol2:
Nikkoletta + Wunderschöne Welpen Lindos demais

scoobie

Dogs And Postmen!
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 09:11:11 AM »
Colin you made me laugh :P
Scoobie barks at anything coming through the door whether it's letters or pizza circulars ;) in his case it's just the letterbox rattling . My postie is great and friendly and scoobie says hello to him when we are outside but he's like something possessed with the letterbox ;)
Edith

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Dogs And Postmen!
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 09:20:56 AM »

Ahhh!! but did it work, i'm thinking of trying that.  :D Just off to Emmas to borrow postman pat.  :P

* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline Maria

• Site Member
Dogs And Postmen!
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2004, 09:27:12 AM »
In Boysie's case it's both terratorial and the fluorescence of the bag. He barks at anyone wearing /carrying a fluorescent jacket or bag. I think it's beacuse he can see these through the partially glazed front door. If I have to open the door though, he immediately gets a 'present' to show to the visitor, even though he was just manically barking at them!

Offline lizzy

• Site Member
    • http://
Dogs And Postmen!
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2004, 10:15:11 AM »
Molly and Evie don't give 2 hoots about the postman, actually they quite like him!

But God help the window cleaner! :P  

Lizzy Molly and Evie