Author Topic: Finley In The Garden - Advice Please  (Read 1119 times)

Offline wendy

• Site Member
    • http://www.luthame.net
Finley In The Garden - Advice Please
« on: August 31, 2004, 08:10:13 AM »
Hi everyone - I need some advice about the garden - Finley is doing brillantly in the toilet area - goes out does his business without a problem - however after  he has done his business he will insist on running around the garden grabbing the foliace especially the Lavetera bush and strawberry plant - now I not bothered about the plants but what it may do to him - any advice of what to avoid - I let him pick leaves up (think they are harmless).  Also we have small shingle stones in some parts of the garden he managed to get one today and not let me get it out of his mouth - think he swallowed it - I am very worried :huh: If I keep chasing him around the garden he thinks we are having a game.

Wendy  
Visit our new website
www.luthame.net

Dogs leave paw prints on your heart

Offline darcy_dog

• Site Member
    • http://
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2004, 09:46:29 AM »
My puppy Darcy does that but always goes for berries not stones. We usualkly just take the stuff out of hs mouth and after a while we take him in. ;)  i don't really know what to do. :(  just hope he doesn't  swzallow anything

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2004, 10:06:26 AM »
Alfie also eats the plants and munches on the stones. I havent been able to stop him so far, I just make it as difficult as I can for him by putting pots infront of the plants he favours.

Ive not noticed him swallow a stone yet, he does carry them around in his mouth for ages, My last cocker also loved the wee shingle stones and never swallowed them either, just munched on them
Caroline and Alfie

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2004, 02:03:32 PM »
he he he i had the same probs when our dilly basset hound was a puppy he was such a pain in the garden and used to swallow stones and eat all my plants the lot, luckily my zorro isnt bad at all or not yet  :rolleyes:, but the way we got dilly to stop it was get a tin and fill it with small pebbles and shake the tin and noise makes them think oh where did that come from. When he got older the stone chewing and swallowing got worse we had to muzzle him in the garden but he grew out of it.
The only thing to watch is when they have something dont run up to them and take it off them they will run off and then it becomes a game to them, instead go up with something and swap it with something like a bit of food and they should drop what they have got.

dillydolly  :D  

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2004, 08:51:54 PM »
Our lawn looks like the aftermath of a hurricane - discarded leaves, dry stems, pebbles, bits of woodchip - you name it, Molo has picked it up and started chewing it :rolleyes:

I use it as a training opportunity - "Molo, leave it" - and he gets a bit of smoked sausage in exchange for his 'find'  :D  
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Birtles

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2004, 08:57:53 PM »
our garden was lovely, nice green lawn, lovely wood chip area for kids play things but wow has that changed in just a week, the lawn just looks like soil with patches of green and Luka just keeps digging and digging in the soil and woodchip  :(  I am clueless how to stop it, think it may be something we accept, comes with the dog really........... hes chewed alot of the plants, I just let him in the hope he'll get bored  ;)
Jayne

Offline clare & cookie

• Site Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2004, 10:06:24 AM »
:lol: reading these has made me feel so much better..i thought i was the only one with a pup with titchmarsh tendencies :( .. :( cookie is 15 weeks old & has eaten most things in the garden ...yesterday it was chives & tomatoes, today who knows i may send her out with a plate & some bread & butter.. :D
clare & cookie