Author Topic: Barf Diet  (Read 7117 times)

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
    • http://
Barf Diet
« on: September 14, 2004, 09:44:53 AM »
Right i have decided to do the BARF diet with zorro but i need a little help as im unsure where to start really as zorro is only 12 weeks old. He weighs about 5kg now and none of the commercial foods seems to agree with him, the vet told us to keep going until we find a diet that agrees with him and the BARF diet is the one i want to do. I have some chicken wings in the freezer are they really safe for him and can he chew on the small bone thats in the chicken wing?
 Any ideas would be great as i want the best for my little chap and to get a good start in life.  :)  

Offline bluegirl

• Site Member
    • www.millionhairsdoggrooming.co.uk
Barf Diet
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 11:04:49 AM »
Hi,
Yes he can chew on the small bones in the wings.

I can't really help with the BARF diet, but I'm sure there will be some one to help shortly. I follow a natural raw meat diet with my 2 yr old dog Penny, but I think that is where the similarities end with the 2 diets.

Hope you find all your answers,

From Karen  :D  
Karen, Penny, Logan, Phoebe and Bronte.

"Life is a series of dogs".    George Carlin

I was going to take over the world but got distracted by something sparkly.

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Barf Diet
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 11:20:39 AM »
I don't follow BARF for our dogs but I know others that do & it's very important you get the balance right with a growing puppy. I'd advise you get a good book on BARF & follow that to begin with - there is one specifically for puppies by Ian Billinghurst called "Grow Your Pup With Bones" (Amazon have it on their website).

Jane
Jane

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
Barf Diet
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 11:31:18 AM »
thanks i will have a look on amazon for the book

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
Barf Diet
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2004, 11:14:22 AM »
thanks ever so much i am slowley introducing him to it now and this morning i pulped all my veg and friut together. At the momment i feed him raw minced chicken with some yoghurt for his morning meal and then for his dinner i give him a raw chicken wing which i have to hold on to so he does chew it up and tear the meat off and then for his tea i give him a repeat of his breakfast. i havent gave him veg yet but going to soon to slowly introduce it to him, i hope im doing the right thing but already i have seen a change in him, he has stopped having the runs and his overall well being is great. For his clicker training treats i have found really small dried fish and they are great he loves them.

Offline Toohey

• Site Member
Barf Diet
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2004, 12:22:16 PM »
In my diet I include a bone in the morning after their run, usually beef brisket, lamb necks, chicken wings, marrow or chuck bone.
For their daily meals, every few days I put a heap of raw vegies such as carrot, pumpkin, celery, green beans, spinach, anything really, just no onion or potato, in the food processor and mush it all up. It has to be pulverised for the dog to absorb the goodies. I add a bit of fruit as well, apples, bananas, pears usually. I store that in a container in the fridge and mix a couple of heaped desertspoons of that mix with about 3 oz chicken or beef mince each day. Occasionally throw in a small tin of sardines in oil, an egg (shell and all) a couple of times a week, plain fat free yoghurt 2 dsp a week.
So it's different every day really. I also give supplements such as apple cider vinegar, and buy a prepared one from greenpet.com which contains the following goodies :)
This is a natural food supplement recommended for all dogs and cats. It contains a blend of highly nutritious foods & supplements to help maintain optimum health. Contains vitamins, minerals, enzymes, trace elements and fatty acids. 100% Australian made. Suitable for VEGETARIAN dogs also. Good nutrition is essential for disease prevention. Contains—Flax meal, rice bran, dolomite, kelp, spirulina, green barley powder, nettle, alfalfa, garlic, rosehips & blackstrap molasses.
Probably don't really need too much in the way of supplements if the diet is healthy and varied, but I like to cover all my bases, specially seeing my girl is a breeding bitch.

Offline PennyB

Barf Diet
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2004, 02:44:37 PM »
and then there's this link:

http://www.ukbarfclub.co.uk
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
Barf Diet
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2004, 04:09:51 PM »
i have just hand fed his chicken wing as i dont think he has grasped chewing it up yet so i held onto it while he chewed it into small bits, i give him egg shells aswell and gave him a bit of my veggie, fruit pulp i made . I cant believe what a change it has made in him already i know he is a puppy and all pups are lively but he seems to have calmed down aswell and seems more content. I am so proud of him and love him to bits and im really enjoying doing his meals.

scoobie

Barf Diet
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2004, 04:43:24 PM »
Ahh that's great news glad he's taking to his new diet  :)
Edith

Offline Pipers Mummy

• Site Member
Barf Diet
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2004, 06:19:40 PM »
I'm pleased to hear that Zorro seems to have taken to his new diet  :)  

I feed Piper on a raw meat diet and she NEVER turns her nose up at it  ;)   There's just so much variety in her diet.  I'm happy and she's happy.

Good luck.

Louise
Cocker Kisses from Louise & Piper xxx

Offline PennyB

Barf Diet
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2004, 11:52:45 PM »
Right i have decided to do the BARF diet with zorro but i need a little help as im unsure where to start really as zorro is only 12 weeks old. He weighs about 5kg now and none of the commercial foods seems to agree with him, the vet told us to keep going until we find a diet that agrees with him and the BARF diet is the one i want to do. I have some chicken wings in the freezer are they really safe for him and can he chew on the small bone thats in the chicken wing?
 Any ideas would be great as i want the best for my little chap and to get a good start in life.  :)
I don't know much history about your pup but if no commercial foods agree with your pup could it be you're changing him over too quickly. Only ask as he's only 12 weeks old and at 12 weeks even to gradually change over food can take at least a week or two. Have you tried naturediet or burns or nutro or jwb or wafcol, or have I missed something
Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline dillydolly

• Site Member
Barf Diet
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2004, 07:01:56 AM »
yeah i tried JWB and weaned him on to that for about 10 days and he still had the runs  :rolleyes:  and his body never seemed to adjust to it really, so i thought as im at home all day and i get a bit bored i will take the time to make his meals and research it and as soon as i switched him on to the raw diet he has been solid so  must be doing something right  :D  and he enjoys it to.