Author Topic: Aggression Or Trying It On?  (Read 1364 times)

Offline LROGERS

• Site Member
    • http://
Aggression Or Trying It On?
« on: September 20, 2004, 04:46:02 PM »
Toffee the working Cocker has always had a thing for socks, as a young pup I could offer Toffee a tasty treat and she would drop the stolen sock and come running for the treat.
After a few months, Toffee decided the socks were better than the treats I had on offer, and refused to give them up.
We now keep the socks etc. out of reach but sometimes she spots a stray one and gets her teeth into it!
This possessive sock behaviour came to a head on holiday when two young children, who were visiting for a few days left one or two things lying around.
Toffee understands the rolled up news paper means she is in trouble, I hit myself or the table with it to make a noise, I have used it along with the voice commands Naughty and Silly in the tone of voice I use to stop her in her tracks.

I had to use the newspaper method to obtain the kids socks from her whilst on holiday, I also told the kids off for getting the dog into trouble.
Please do not miss understand me, I have not hit the dog with the newspaper.
Since this event, Toffee has been very willing to give me back items she has stolen, all I have to do is take hold of the sock in her mouth, I growl the words “leave it” and then praise her for returning the item.
Her usual toys are not, and have not ever been a problem, she always lets me take these from her, she does run around a bit in the house with them in her mouth growling happily away and would love us to chase her but we do not oblige.
She does not ever show any aggression, I can take all her toys from her and I can take her food away and she just sits as told, until she gets it back.
Here’s the problem.
She is currently in her second season, on Saturday I walked into the kitchen, Toffee immediately walked backwards under the kitchen table (this is the place she takes stolen items) I immediately thought what has she got.
Toffee has a habit of making herself ill by eating different items; I had to check this out in case she harmed herself. I bent down to look under the table, our eyes met from 5 feet away and she growled at me in a way I know she is being aggressive, she does this a few times barking like a mad thing. I can’t see anything under the table so I walk to the crate, Toffee is now racing me to the crate, I quickly shut the crate door before she gets to it. I notice hidden in the back corner of the crate is a sock.
No aggression from her at all now, I tell her to get onto her chair (this is her wicker chair she lies in whilst in the kitchen) sit and stay, she does all this while I remove the sock from the crate. I did not praise her as she had in my view had been aggressive and done nothing to deserve praise
I am now thinking I need to work on rewarding Toffee for returning items and avoid confrontation.
The day before we had played hide and seek and then fetch both games were based on a food reward for returning the items to my hand. She enjoyed this and got it right every time.
To me this aggressive behaviour is out of character and an isolated incident, I am aware Toffee is like all other dogs and capable of biting but didn’t expect such an unprovoked incident. Is it due to her season? or do I need to change how I deal with the socks?  Any ideas or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2004, 04:55:12 PM »
Before my girls were spayed, Cleo used to sometimes get a bit 'hormonal' and take things uner the bed with her, and grumble if Livvy or us went near. I just used to reach under and take whatever she was 'guarding' from her and she was as right as rain and full of licks. Strange.
She's never gone for me or my hubby.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline kookie

• Site Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2004, 05:02:18 PM »
and by the way, my garden is always full of pants and socks! Can't imagine what the neighbours think! :lol:  
Love from Karen and Livvy

ziggy

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2004, 06:00:49 PM »
don,t be annoyed with me please ;) but i always treat my dogs like they are people,if they annoy me i let them know,if they eat my shoes i show my disgust,if they want to play who,s the boss,i make sure they know i am,just by ignoring them etc, my dogs have always been brilliant,and yes i do shout from time to time cause it,s just not funny all the while,they need to know what,s acceptable and what,s not ;) never failed me yet,although it,s not to everybody,s taste ;) i don,t let my son get away with it,so why should my beloved cockers :lol:
don,t get me wrong,no-one on this earth could slag my dogs off,,only me ;) i love the love they give ,the fun we share,and the adoration i have for them ,and i,m lucky to have them,but ultimately it,s me that makes them that way ;)

p.s. i,m very peed off at the moment so if im drivelling on please ignore mif there was as post on men,i,d be first in the queue,nuff said xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Offline PennyB

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2004, 06:04:40 PM »
Seasons can make them moody so and so's, and from what I gather she's still an adolescent which is a lovely mix of hormones to contend with and she looks likes she's displaying challenging behaviour.

You're right in thinking that she should only be rewarded for doing things well, and it might be worth trading for something else when she steals the socks (or don't leave them around in the 1st place). I think there's something about this in Gwen Baileys Perfect Puppy book (same rules apply to pups as well as adolescent dogs).

Since Wilf became a teenager he's also been a bit a of a loon, and while he started with doing runners he's now mouthing and launching himself at me (its very boisterous but to the unititated some think he's being aggressive when he isn't). While mine have never been chewers they will try to eat anything they can get their teeth/mouth round and while I remove as much as I can from them there's always something that occasionally makes them sick.

Friends of Hailey Park
Four Paws Animal Rescue (South Wales)

Cockers are just hooligans in cute clothing!

Offline taniac

• Site Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2004, 03:09:38 PM »
Cockers and socks, what is that about, they don't even have to be dirty!!  At least Neo never ripped holes in them.. Jovi destroys them.

Sounds like you're doing the right things to me.  You could try making something else more interesting, like taking a toy, walking away and saying in an excited voice 'look what I have, do you want it.. I'll keep it shall I?' You know what they're like if they think they're missing out.

I only have boys so can't comment on the hormones.
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)