Author Topic: Jumping Up  (Read 2404 times)

Offline Cob-Web

• Inactive
  • To err is human, to forgive, canine
    • Walking on Wight Blog
Jumping Up
« on: October 18, 2004, 07:35:38 AM »
HELP!

I have done a search and can't find any previous threads on this, but I don't believe Molo is alone in his latest new 'habit'  :D

He has always jumped up at us, and I have successfully reduced it when we are standing or walking around by ignoring him and turning away - and then praising him when he has all four paws in contact with the ground.

However, he jumps up when we are sat at the table eating; and because he has grown he can now put his paws on the edge of the table  :rolleyes:

He has been taught the 'off' command, and if told repeatedly, he eventually does get down, but this seems to be 'rewarding' him by giving him attention when he jumps. Similarly, I don't want to push him down, either.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? Would the water pistol approach work? I am trying to only use positive reinforcement methods; but it is really difficult when we are eating, I don't want to food reward him when he doesn't jump cos it may teach him to beg at the table.

As a last resort, when OH is at the end of his tether, I have isolated Molo from the table; but don't really want to use this as a solution as we eventually hope to take Molo when we eat out at the many dog friendly pubs nearby.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions, thanks
Enrich your life with an Oldie!
Oldies Club

Offline Pammy

• Inactive
Jumping Up
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 08:12:06 AM »
You could use the water pistol for this - but I think you'd be better reinforcing the down and stay with a reward. Try sitting at the table without food and doing it then, and also doing it with say a biscuit or some toast - not a meal and see it as a training session. As soon as he goes to put his feet up make him get off with a firm "no" then go "off","down" and "stay". When he's down - give him a treat - not your toast or biccy though - this is crucial.

You could also encourage him to want to stay down by giving him something yummy to chew on so that that keeps his attention. Give him praise while he's down and chewing and if you're lucky - you should get some results, but he must never be allowed to put his feet on the table and get away with it.

For now when you are eating a meal put him out of the way so you can concentrate on your meal rather than what Molo is doing.

This is a really hard one and tbh one we never sorted with Jasper - he's always doing it. Buddy on the other hand never jumps up at the table. He just sits patiently.

hth
Pam n the boys

Growing old is compulsory growing up is optional

Offline Gilly

• Inactive
    • Glowstar Cocker Spaniels
Jumping Up
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 08:20:00 AM »
Mmmmm, I've never managed to fix this one either  :lol: I think it's a cocker thing  ;) As Pammy suggests, I think you just need to keep on doing what your doing annoying as it may be. This may take some time and he might never stop doing it completely but to a lesser degree. Butty isn't as bad as she used to be and she doesn't jump up when people are eating anymore at the table. I'm sure in the Perfect Puppy it mentions the use of a house lead in situations like this but I didn't resort to anything like that, I just ended up sounding like a stuck record. This age can be quite tiring, they are trying new things, pushing the boundaries AND teething  :huh: All I can say is just hang in there  ;)  

Offline suki1964

• Site Member
  • Look mum - no legs :)
Jumping Up
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 08:53:54 AM »
Alfie has been doing this lately and hes sussed that when we are both at the table food is also around - not that I ever hand him tid bits.

For times when we ae just having a snack I do resort to firmly pushing him down, hand on chest, with "down". He will try it again but tends to give up after the second attempt.

Dinner times were a bit harder. Cos we have what the americans would call a family room, we prepare, eat and basically live in the kitchen. So he would be drooling the minute he saw me at the work tops and by time we were sitting down he was so worked up, that pushing him down just seem to made him more excitable. What I do now is to prepare him a meal at the same time so he eats his and we are left in peace. When I say "meal" we are talking a teaspoon of peas, a bit of cauli or carrot or cabbage and a tiny bit of potato or rice- basically whatever veg we are having. I dont use salt when cooking so I cant see it doing him any harm. He loves it and when finished he just curls up under the table and sleeps leaving us to eat in peace. I can honestly say hand on heart that the amount hes given is no more then 2 tablespoons and I never give cooked meat - just veg and starches.

Maybe not the best way of handling things but it works for us
Caroline and Alfie

Offline Mary

• Global Moderator
Jumping Up
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 08:56:03 AM »
I wouldn't say that I've ever managed to stop this completely either :rolleyes:   Lottie will still 'occasionally' jump up but once she has the firm 'NO' from me she just slumps off somewhere.  Luckily she doesn't sit there drooling still ;)   She will try it on more if it's just the children at the table though even though they are very firm with her :angry:

As Pammy said, you must be consistent and keep reinforcing it and hopefully it will 'click' ;)  
Mary & Lottie x

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
Jumping Up
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 10:09:03 AM »
Not a lot I can really add here Rachel - but we've found that Woody is fine at pubs because we tie him to the table and he just lies at our feet and sleeps.  

At home he is slightly more interested but as I've mentioned before, it's not the food he's after, it's the napkins which he likes to steal!!  We just totally ignore him if he starts being over-interested on what's on the table and he soon gives up.

Hope you can use some of the other advice on offer and find a solution soon!
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Jumping Up
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 11:07:26 AM »
i'm not sure that getting him to sit and then giving him a reward by the table is not just giving him exactly what he wants!

We just shout down at ours - if they don't respond (two warnings)they get pushed off the table and a bum tap. Seems to have worked because they won't jump up now. I just get ferns head between my legs!!!

They have to behave really - this christmas there will be 7 dogs around the xmas table! Can you imagine the destruction if they don't behave!
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Jumping Up
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 11:19:59 AM »
Wow!  :lol:  7 dogs! You're going to need a big turkey  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:  
http://www.justgiving.com/lizelmont
"On judgement day if God should say, "Did you clean your house today?"
I will say, "I did not, I played with my dogs and I forgot." Anon.

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 01:40:01 PM »
Aren't we!!!! :lol:

There will be:
Fern
Willow
Nell
Bryony
Gypsi
Sue
and dad's new springer pup.

That is 1 black lab, 4 cockers and 2 springers!

Clare

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline JoHarborne

• Site Member
    • http://
Jumping Up
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 01:47:16 PM »
... and a partridge in a pear tree!!

Sorry - couldn't resist!!   ;)  
Jo, Woody\'s owner

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 02:49:13 PM »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
Clare

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Jumping Up
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 03:17:45 PM »
LOL and how many people??? Bet the dogs are less trouble than them!  :lol:   :lol:  

Offline Silver Surfer (indiesnan)

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 03:27:17 PM »
My goodness seven dogs  :blink: its bad enough with one.  Do they all get a cracker each?  ;)

* Barb & Nell * ~~He who claims he knows, knows nothing. He who claims nothing knows~~

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 03:53:07 PM »
Erm - let me count...

me
james
sally (my sis)
Neil
mum
dad
nan
Auntiemum

8!!! Luckily my sis won't be bringing her 2 springers and dad leaves his one gun dog out side! or there would be 10!!!! :blink:

Do they have crackers????? I think we are all crackers!!! Fern always tries to mug mum for the carrots and thinks it is her god given right to sit in the kitchen!!! If you tell them to get out all the others trot off and fern just sits there!! 'they have gone now -you can chuck me the carrots!!!!'

Clare

Offline tobycat

• Site Member
    • Elmonts Online
Jumping Up
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 04:22:05 PM »
Oscar will do anything for a carrot too  :lol:

Bizarre isn't it....I think he's really a donkey in disguise  :rolleyes:  He's certainly big enough! :lol: