Author Topic: Jumping Up  (Read 2403 times)

Offline Bellbellsmum

• Site Member
    • http://
Jumping Up
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2004, 02:15:15 PM »
I've had this problem from the off.  She now can jump on the sofa so nothing is safe from her.

I have a coke can with pennies in it and I shake it at her until she gets down then reward her with biscuit.  She hates the noise, but I have to say sometimes it makes her go hyper.  Then she just gets booted into her crate.

I think positive reinforcement is great, but sometimes a sharp blast of noise is better.   I tried the water pistol and this just made it worse as she thought it was excellent fun and had a permanent elvis hairdo from all the water we spayed at her head :lol:

If you find a good solution, Rachel, Let me know.  You know how Bella and Molo were seperated at birth and all.  :D  
Laura and Bella (Bellyflops) xxxxxx

Offline bunny

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2004, 02:49:24 PM »

They have to behave really - this christmas there will be 7 dogs around the xmas table! Can you imagine the destruction if they don't behave!
WOW i thought i was brave with three, have a woofderfull christmas and snap, i do the same as you to keep them down and it works.

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2004, 04:28:14 PM »
Both my two know that they're not allowed near us and food... We haven't got room in the current place for a dining table we can use everyday, but at Mum's they just go to sleep on your feet.

When we eat on our lap trays they do try to stick their noses onto the trays, but I tell them off and they give it up straight away  :)

I did hear that when we were on our honeymoon, Jovi actually jumped onto my sister's lap and tried to take a sandwich out of her mouth whilst she was eating it!!!!  :o He's never done that to us and he knows what kind of reception he'd get if he tried, so I think he was just trying it on with her.

Only just started giving my two carrots.. how quick do they disappear!!!!!!!
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)

Offline AmandaA

• Site Member
Jumping Up
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2004, 12:23:03 AM »
You should get some good pic's for the gallery.
Amanda, Lennox,Molly,Jasmine,Lotte & Ruby & Doogie xxxx

Offline LROGERS

• Site Member
    • http://
Jumping Up
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2004, 11:43:04 AM »
I think the key here is prevention.

It sounds to me like the dog thinks this is a game, “I jump up, wait for the command to get down then wait for the reward”.
Get control of the dog in this situation and let her know your watching her. I would use a command the dog knows as discipline, for our dog this is a firm “Down” or “No” now the hard bit, you have to anticipate that Molo is about to jump up and stop her before she does it using the same command every time.
The other thing we found is, if you reward the dog for everything she does correctly she will just get confused and do bad things  just so she can be corrected and rewarded, better to let her know when you are displeased with her, and leave it at that.
Perhaps if you try to reduce the amount of eye contact with Molo or ignore her completely, even turning your back on her after discipline she might get the message, you will find your own way of achieving this.
Our dog can misunderstand reward (in whatever form) as a command to be released and do its own thing so to speak so be careful you are not having the same effect.
Don’t try to push the dog down with hands as the dog will just come back at you, it turns it into a game if you use hands, and make sure everyone has the same rules. I see our kids watching telly and the dog comes over to the settee tail wagging front paws up on the settee. The natural reaction of the kids is to fuss the dog therefore rewarding her for getting up, I don’t tell the dog off  just a firm “down” but the kids are reminded of the rules.
To make you feel better our dog used to launch its self-full speed at anyone sitting on the settee ready to play bite and be pushed away etc. etc.  Don’t worry you will stop it and you will surprise yourself how easy it was.

Sue H

Jumping Up
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2004, 08:18:25 PM »
I think that if you absolutely do not feed them at the table, then eventaully they realise this and just back off ... Having said this, my 9 year old bitch Barley is worse that our 2 yr old N. dog Bramble - he just lies down until we have finished and then checks out any left-overs - she is constantly in attendance (hope springs eternal etc) (greedy cow !!).

If your dogs are jumping up at your table, exclude them from the room and make sure that they know they are out of the system because of their behaviour.  

Never feed them from the table, and if they persist in jumping up, remove them.

Under controlled circumstances, let them be present, but do not make eye contact and never say their names or acknowledge that they are there.

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Jumping Up
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 09:31:47 PM »
A good way of stopping jumping up, whether your sitting down, or standing up is to *GENTLY* step on the toes of their back feet, it only takes a couple of times for them to get the message, dogs feet are particularly sensitive, as we all know  ;)
Please note I really do mean GENTLY  - more a tap really, than a step.
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.