Author Topic: Chicken And Rice  (Read 921 times)

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
    • http://
Chicken And Rice
« on: October 28, 2004, 06:19:10 PM »
Alfie, i suspect has been up to no good and found some wood to chew,anyway it`s given him a runny tum,he`s nearly 7 mths how much chicken should i give him for each meal ,i thought half a breast and the same amount of rice?should i give it just till poo returns to normal or carry on a few more days.

it did the trick last time but i was guessing how much? how often? and he loves it like mad so i only want to give it to him as necessary as he`ll play up going back on his old food.
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline Chrissy

• Site Member
    • Powerscourt Cocker Spaniels
Chicken And Rice
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 07:03:50 PM »
how much chicken should i give him for each meal ,i thought half a breast and the same amount of rice?
How much food do you normally give him and how many meals a day is he on?

If he's on two meals then the amounts about right for the chicken but I'd double the rice as it isn't really very much to eat otherwise  :)   It's best not to over feed them when their tummy is a bit upset but you don't want him wasting away either (or thinking he's wasting away!)

If your sure his upset tummy is due to eating something irritant then this will be fine, however if you think he’s got a bug I’d starve him for 12 + hours (water only) and then feed him, if the upset tummy hasn’t sorted itself out then I’d starve him for a further 12 hours (assuming he’s well and your not worried about him).  And then introduced food again (chicken and rice) for about three days to let everything settle down.

Do watch out for any blood in his poo, when mine have eaten wood it’s scraped the bowel on the way out and I’ve always taken them to the vets for an anti-inflammatory injection.

With a slightly older dog I would starve them for 24 hours before starting the chicken and rice but he’s still a bit young for that.

Let us know how he gets on.

Chrissy

Offline Kim

• Site Member
    • Molkara Cocker Spaniels
Chicken And Rice
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 08:53:05 PM »
I usually add natuaral bio yoghurt as well !  :)  
www.Molkara.co.uk

Save the earth; it's the only planet with chocolate.

Offline Sheila

• Site Member
Chicken And Rice
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 09:27:16 PM »
Oooh I never knew about yoghurt...I'll have to remember that one.
Lottie, so far, hasnt had any upset tummy, but when Goldie has in the past then I starve her for a day (24 hours) and introduce cooked rice for the first meal and chicken with it after that. Normally if all is ok, then I return to the usual food after a couple of days.

Offline Curtisio

• Site Member
Chicken And Rice
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2004, 08:41:12 AM »
Kyro got the runs on his first weekend at home. We were told by his breeder that 3 days (don't be tempted to stop if his numbers two's get better before that) so nine meals would sort things out. And it worked...
Paul - Kyro - Daisy & Cookie (cats)

Offline kookie

• Site Member
Chicken And Rice
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2004, 10:27:07 AM »
Live yoghurt is great for keeping your dogs tums healthy.
Ours have a teaspoon in one of their meals about 3 times a week. They love it too.
Love from Karen and Livvy

Offline gc

• Site Member
    • http://
Chicken And Rice
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2004, 11:36:04 AM »
when balu has runny tum, I usually keep a chicken/rice diet for 7-10 days to make sure that everything goes ok. Usually after a couple of days, after the runny tum, the poos returned to a normal condition but I still carried on the diet.
For a 7month cocker, half a breast and rice, which in total makes 400, max 600grams of food I guess it's ok.
George.
The truth is out there..... and a cocker can easily find it ;-)