Author Topic: Chewing Wallpaper?!  (Read 821 times)

Offline SarahJ

• Site Member
    • http://
Chewing Wallpaper?!
« on: November 01, 2004, 04:35:24 PM »
Ok guys, help is required very soon or Harvey is going to be outside Kwik Save with "FREE TO A GOOD HOME" around his neck!!

He kept eating the wallpaper as a pup, the kitchen, the lounge and into the dining room.  We left it, "its just a stage" we said.  When Harvey turned 1 we decided to decorate. Spent a fortune to do all 3 rooms but so worth it after living in a hovel for the last 6 months!
Well can you believe not a week later and he's started on it again!! The first time we were out, he was smacked and put in the garden then left in the kitchen instead of having his usual run of the house. Next time we were there - sent into the kitchen with the door closed. Today he's ripped a whole massive strip off and we're back to square one. He knows he's done wrong because as you open the door instead, of greeting you he stands there shaking like you are about to murder him and then goes straight outside because he knows thats his punishment. If he know's he is doing wrong why does he keep doing it?? Its going to be a cold winter outside or shut in the kitchen! Will this ever end???

By the way he has 3 walks a day, all the toys you can imagine and a filled kong ball everytime we go out!!

Offline Jane S

• Administrator
Chewing Wallpaper?!
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2004, 04:53:23 PM »
I think you should probably have delayed your decorating as at 1 year old, Harvey is still very young mentally & I've had several Cockers go through a chewy stage at this age ;) Please don't smack/shout at Harvey if he does something "wrong" when you're not there - he has no idea what he has done to displease you & cannot connect something he did maybe an hour ago with you being cross. Also remember dogs don't "know" they've done something wrong in the way you mean but they can read your body language & can learn to associate you coming home with being shouted at/punished - that's not guilt, that's just anticipation of your reaction. I can understand your frustration but the last thing you want is to make Harvey frightened of you when you come home :( Perhaps you could consider investing in a crate - once Harvey has been taught to enjoy the security of his own private space, you will have somewhere to leave him for short periods knowing he can't get into any mischief.

Jane

PS You might find this online article on chewing useful :)
Jane

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Chewing Wallpaper?!
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2004, 05:07:33 PM »
ignore me - i'm losing it!
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline cbabe

• Site Member
    • home of the Fernlow band of cockers!!!
Chewing Wallpaper?!
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2004, 05:09:15 PM »
Ok guys, help is required very soon or Harvey is going to be outside Kwik Save with "FREE TO A GOOD HOME" around his neck!!

Fern does the guilty look - but i have to agree with Jane - it's your fault!!!!!!!
He is still mentally a baby  soo leaving him within reach of anything you want to keep nice is heading for disaster!!!!!!

May i suggest sitting your self out side Asda with a sign round your neck saying 'i've been cockered'!!! :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  
Clare
Fern (HRH) and Willow (lolo)
Bryony, Gypsi, Thorn and Rocky

Sorry if my Post offends you, my cocker spaniel has learnt to type and i can not be held responsible for her attitude problem!

Offline s baxter

• Site Member
    • http://
Chewing Wallpaper?!
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2004, 05:30:06 PM »
i have to agree,alfie got hold of my daughters school shoe she`d only had them 6 weeks but our fault they were left on the floor .so off we trotted back to clarks for another pair .you can only leave them near things that your ok with them chewing because they`ll have a go at anything,whats the difference between a new shoe and a dog chew to us a lot (£25) to a dog nothing :D  
sue baxter and Alfie

Offline taniac

• Site Member
Chewing Wallpaper?!
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2004, 05:57:05 PM »
Jovi's eaten a hole in the kitchen wall 6 times this week (he's nearly 9 mths).  Hubby gets so cross (he is filling it and painting it though), but as I never catch him in the act, he can't be told off for it (bitter bite has failed it doesn't seem to offend him at all). He has lots of things to stimulate him when we're not there but he still does it, hopefully he'll grow out of it like Neo did.

I would restrict Harvey's access, around the house when you're not there.  Try reading 'The Culture Clash' by Jean Donaldson, it explains in more detail what Jane has said about his reaction when you come home and has some good ideas for stimulating your dog mentally.
Tania
(Neo and Jovi's Mum)